Camera speed test: iPhone 4S vs Galaxy Nexus

ThisGuy

Reaction score
As an owner of an OG, fascinate, and DX, I can tell you that even OC'd to 1100 MHz, the OG has trouble keeping up with order and chaos online and dungeon defenders. The fascinate and DX play them just fine though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ThisGuy

Reaction score
And I was really just kidding about that battlefield comment ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

edan

Reaction score
picture quality

I'm a little confused as to why they put a 5mp camera on the gnex. I know mp's aren't everything but I guess I don't know enough about cameras. I'm due for an upgrade and the only thing I am unsure of is the camera. I have kids and i don't always have a camera with me so the one on my phone gets a lot of use. Can someone tell me if they know or think that this 5mp shooter will turn out better pics than say, the razr's 8mp? My wife and I like to print a lot of 4*6's of the kids. Hope I don't sound too ignorant to all this but I figured you guys could help. I'm also curious how a 5mp and 8mp can both shoot 1080 video equally.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every review I've seen says the camera is incredible, one of the best they've used.

Wouldn't worry and as you said, MP's are a pretty big myth: MegaPixelMyth

As long as you aren't printing poster size pictures, you should be good, 4x6 will be perfect.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
I'm a little confused as to why they put a 5mp camera on the gnex. I know mp's aren't everything but I guess I don't know enough about cameras. I'm due for an upgrade and the only thing I am unsure of is the camera. I have kids and i don't always have a camera with me so the one on my phone gets a lot of use. Can someone tell me if they know or think that this 5mp shooter will turn out better pics than say, the razr's 8mp? My wife and I like to print a lot of 4*6's of the kids. Hope I don't sound too ignorant to all this but I figured you guys could help. I'm also curious how a 5mp and 8mp can both shoot 1080 video equally.

A 5mp camera will be more than enough. With 5mp you could print an 8x10 at 240dpi just fine, not that I'd want to print out a cell phone pic anyway. 8mp can print even bigger. But it's just a marketing gimmick. How many will honestly be printing out 11x16 prints from their cell phone camera? In fact, cramming a bunch of megapixels into a small sensor leads to noise (grainy photos), something Bionic owners have been complaining a lot about.

Aside from the megapixel scam that Motorola uses to sell their phones, the thing that makes this Nexus that much better is the camera's speed. Notice how the shutter snaps instantly? No lag? And it's ready to take the next photo in less than a second? The instant shutter will let you take sharper and clearer pics? Motorola's slow cameras results in fuzzy and blurry pics, because the shutter takes so long to close and process the pic, meanwhile you or your subject have moved, resulting in blur.

If cameras are important to you, avoid Motorola. The Razr is no different. Online reviews have already said the camera is sub par.

Last edited:
OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
I'm also curious how a 5mp and 8mp can both shoot 1080 video equally.

That's because 1080p HD video is only 2mp of on-screen resolution :) 1920 x 1080 / 1,000,000 = 2.07mp

It's all about the software inside, and how it's used.

edan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sign me up for the gnex! Now all we need is a release date.

Creed

Reaction score
Thanks indeed, I always sort of knew that megapixels didn't matter or that lenses were more important but that really made it much more clear. So for your average viewing pleasure, megapixels are meaningless :)

Thanks.