Call Quality

mikells43

Reaction score
I have had several people tell me they cant hear me, and that i sounded far away form the mic. i dont know whats up? i called vzw they made me reset my whole phone back to factory, and then the girl said you sound better. i dont know:-/ i just ditched bb cause of their barage of crap devices in a row(storm, tour) and now i hate the fact that peps are having trouble hearing me, i left myself several vms and they are sorta right. if its not perfectly perpendicular on my face like it should be, then i sound far away.

any feedback?

WhiteSoul8

Reaction score
Just to clarify - are you using a Droid 1 or Droid 2? I just upgraded to the Droid 2, because I had various complaints about my voice quality with the Droid 1. I think it has to do with the microphone placement on the Droid 1. The quality on the Droid 2, I have been told, is just fine. Now that the microphone is on the bottom side (not back) of the phone (on the Droid 2), sound quality should be fine just so long as you don't cover the microphone or hold it against your shoulder, burying the microphone =)

So - with the Droid 2 - I'm sure they'd swap the phone. My Verizon sales guy said the problem was common amongst Droid 1's - and that I "may have just gotten a bad unit".

r314bd

Reaction score
Every Droid 1 had this problem. Mine, two replacements, my dad's...several people told us we sounded muffled or inaudible. The VZW sales reps are useless and (often) less knowledgeable than you so don't give any credence to them telling you "you sound better." The fact that they made you waste your time with a factory reset for what was obviously a hardware issue should prove to you their incompetence.

However with the Droid 1 I discovered by trial and error that the way you hold your phone can fix the problem in most cases:
-There is an ambient sound mic on the top rear of the phone; make sure your finger isn't obstructing it during a call
-Hold the phone against your cheek (as opposed to with space between the phone and your cheek)
-Don't lie down while using the phone; this tends to make it sound muffled

One or more of the above may be contributing factors

OP
M

mikells43

Reaction score
thanks alot. im tired of replacement phones lol. i really am. the tour was horrible. thats why i moved to android and moto to avoid that. ill try ur suggestions with my sound check guy and see what he thinks. i tried moving the vocoder last ntie that made no diff. and yea that was a waste of time....

if anyone has more feedback too id really app it.

Saraph

Reaction score
I don't know about voice quality through the mic, but my Droid 2's sound through the normal speaker is a bit... crackly. It's like the speaker was blown out or something before I even got the phone. My Droid 1's speaker was crystal clear, but this one definitely is not. I know I can take it back for a replacement since I just got it on Thursday, but is it possible for them to transfer my texts? I like keeping them and I thought this was going to be the last time I return a Droid.

OP
M

mikells43

Reaction score
I don't know about voice quality through the mic, but my Droid 2's sound through the normal speaker is a bit... crackly. It's like the speaker was blown out or something before I even got the phone. My Droid 1's speaker was crystal clear, but this one definitely is not. I know I can take it back for a replacement since I just got it on Thursday, but is it possible for them to transfer my texts? I like keeping them and I thought this was going to be the last time I return a Droid.

i noticed the cracklyness also. but im not worried about that, i can hear the other person its the other person hearing me. i was speaking with the person who told me about it earler today and i got a text that came thru and he said man i can't hear u again, wtf. i dont knwo what it is. i may call vz again tonite cause i have other billing issues that need taken care of too.

anyone else having this prob?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every Droid 1 had this problem. Mine, two replacements, my dad's...several people told us we sounded muffled or inaudible. The VZW sales reps are useless and (often) less knowledgeable than you so don't give any credence to them telling you "you sound better." The fact that they made you waste your time with a factory reset for what was obviously a hardware issue should prove to you their incompetence.

However with the Droid 1 I discovered by trial and error that the way you hold your phone can fix the problem in most cases:
-There is an ambient sound mic on the top rear of the phone; make sure your finger isn't obstructing it during a call
-Hold the phone against your cheek (as opposed to with space between the phone and your cheek)
-Don't lie down while using the phone; this tends to make it sound muffled

One or more of the above may be contributing factors

Not every Droid 1. Mine didnt. Still dont. Same for some other ppl too. There might have been some bad batches, I dont know. Might have been a proximity issue.

Like they shipped some Droid 1's with raised keys on the slide out keyboard. Like some ppl had that infamous mute issue. (might be cuz of a proximity issue. ScreenSuite helped with most folks mute issue.) I didnt have that either.

As for holding it against the cheek, ppl with the mute issue couldnt do that.

The ambient sound mic on the top, I never knew that...lol I remember reading about it but I thought it didnt exist.