Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Does anyone use c:geo? the cache app for maps? If so, how does it work lol.. is it for on road maps, off road? How do you turn it on? It has great reviews but cant quite figure it out ..

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I use it, its probably the best geocaching app on the market (IMO)

What specifically are you having trouble with?

Murz

Reaction score
OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well what I understood, or thought it did, was locate caches so the maps would be faster during navigation, ie: Me not arriving at a traffic light before the map does..

JP 5.56

Reaction score
First thing, if you do not have a geocaching.com account, you'll need one (they are free)

Find the c:geo icon in your app tray and start it up.

Hit the menu button and then tap Settings.

First use only:Enter your geocaching.com username and password in the provided boxes. Tap the Return button.

cgeo will find your location and display your lat/lon.

From there you have a few options.
1. The caches nearby button searches for caches located near you based on your coordinates.
2. Search by coordinates allows you to specify a certain lat/long and search for caches near that point.
3. Search by address uses an address you put in to search for nearby caches.
4. GC codes are the code names for caches listed on the geocaching.com site. If you know the GC code of a certain cache you want to navigate to, enter it here.
There are a few more search options below this, you'll figure it out.

Supposing you searched using the first option, you will get a list of caches starting with the closest. If thats the one you want, tap it.

It will then load the cache details page giving you information on it.
Tap the menu button. The menu will give you the ability to see the cache on google maps, to navigate to the cache (using a compass) or to log your visit to the cache and more.

Note that you have to have 3G network coverage for this app to work.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Well what I understood, or thought it did, was locate caches so the maps would be faster during navigation, ie: Me not arriving at a traffic light before the map does..
Whoops, no its nothing like that. It is for a game called Geocaching.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
First thing, if you do not have a geocaching.com account, you'll need one (they are free)

Find the c:geo icon in your app tray and start it up.

Hit the menu button and then tap Settings.

First use only:Enter your geocaching.com username and password in the provided boxes. Tap the Return button.

cgeo will find your location and display your lat/lon.

From there you have a few options.
1. The caches nearby button searches for caches located near you based on your coordinates.
2. Search by coordinates allows you to specify a certain lat/long and search for caches near that point.
3. Search by address uses an address you put in to search for nearby caches.
4. GC codes are the code names for caches listed on the geocaching.com site. If you know the GC code of a certain cache you want to navigate to, enter it here.
There are a few more search options below this, you'll figure it out.

Supposing you searched using the first option, you will get a list of caches starting with the closest. If thats the one you want, tap it.

It will then load the cache details page giving you information on it.
Tap the menu button. The menu will give you the ability to see the cache on google maps, to navigate to the cache (using a compass) or to log your visit to the cache and more.

Note that you have to have 3G network coverage for this app to work.

Well ya know on the phone, whee you enter your usename and pw, theirs no where to hit "Next" or "Enter" ...

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is anyone non-rooted using this app? I got bit by the GC bug a couple of weeks ago, and have been addicted since. Im rooted, OC's and running UD ( I know, I need to change my sig). My gps is ok until I get within about 30' of GZ, then all bets are off. usually I end up doing the drunken bumblebee dance in about a 100' radius of GZ. I usuallu have a 10' or less margin of error, but it will tell me GZ is 15' ahead, Ill walk 2 paces, then it will tell me GZ is 50' behind me. I had one cache I couldn't find last week, I just kept zig zagging through the woods. I went back today, and it give me headaches again. I was determined I would find the cache, so I closed the compass, and opened the google maps view. I zoomed in as far as I could go, and put my blue dot right on the point of the cache marker, I looked around me, and the cache was 5' to my left.I had walked around that area following the compass, but never got closer than 20' (in heavy woods) to GZ.
I guess my question would be, is this a Mod/OC issue, an app issue, or just the limitation of the phone?
I am looking at buying a Rhino, but after dropping the money on the Droid, I didnt want to drop another $250 on a GPS that I didnt know if I would use or not. Plus, having it on my phone is a nice option when you find yourself with an unexpected hour and a half of free time and there are 4 caches within a half mile radius.

DVR6

Reaction score
Yes mine does the same thing with the compass. I use the radar (nice) and map view now and those seem to work fine when you get close to the cache. Oh I'm not rooted.

acturbo

Reaction score
Does anyone use c:geo? the cache app for maps? If so, how does it work lol.. is it for on road maps, off road? How do you turn it on? It has great reviews but cant quite figure it out ..

Couldnt find it in the market, am I searching for the wrong thing when searching for "c:geo", or is this not in the market?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Couldnt find it in the market, am I searching for the wrong thing when searching for "c:geo", or is this not in the market?

Its cgeo in the market, no colon.

c:geo by carnero

chart

c:geo

:rockon:

solorca

Reaction score
I use it and do like it. I haven't had a chance to do a lot with it so far, but it is pretty good at getting you near the cache. I happened to be in an area where I had found caches previously, and it was just as close as my Garmin is.

The only area that it really stuggles with is getting you to cache through the initial navigation. I've found that my Garmin is much more accurate when trying to find the general location while driving. Once I'm actually within walking distance however, it's good.

acturbo

Reaction score