Buying from Amazon...

brad03lp

Reaction score
I know I know...this is a post that probably needs placed elsewhere but I got some homework to do right now...trying to make this as quick as possible...

If I we're to buy the Droid on Amazon outright with no contract...when it arrives...all I need to do is just call verizon and switch phones? I am possibly leaving the Storm 9530 and going to the droid...is this possible with buying off amazon? I have never bought a phone off amazon..always at the carriers location...so I'm sorry for the dumb question...:icon_ banana:

OP
B

brad03lp

Reaction score
What are the necessary steps I need to take when I receive the phone?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You should probably call Verizon customer service. My guess is that you'd have to take your old phone and your new Droid to the store, have them do the switch, and pay them an activation fee. But that's just a GUESS based on what I see happening at the store everytime I go, you should call CS.

jasonb

Reaction score
i think you can just call them and do an esn switch. they will just ask you for the esn number which is under the battery and that's it. i work at a radio shack and that's how it is with sprint, att, and tmobile. i would assume it's the same with verizon.

ps: i soooo wish radio shack still sold verizon.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon is CDMA not GSM. You actually have to go there and have the phone activated, because we don't have SIM cards.

jasonb

Reaction score
Verizon is CDMA not GSM. You actually have to go there and have the phone activated, because we don't have SIM cards.

you don't have to go there. all they need is the phones esn or serial number. just call and tell them you need to swap your phone out. i haven't done this with a verizon smartphone but when i lost my old razr i swapped to an old phone and all i did was call them and give them a number from underneath the battery and they activated it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

you don't have to go there. all they need is the phones esn or serial number. just call and tell them you need to swap your phone out. i haven't done this with a verizon smartphone but when i lost my old razr i swapped to an old phone and all i did was call them and give them a number from underneath the battery and they activated it.

You can also do this via My Verizon on the Web. A trip to the store is not required unless you need contacts swapped over.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score

You can also do this via My Verizon on the Web. A trip to the store is not required unless you need contacts swapped over.

+1 i've done this a number of times

Rouge

Reaction score

It wont let you do a smartphone through my verizon. Quick call into customer service is all it takes 5 min tops.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It wont let you do a smartphone through my verizon. Quick call into customer service is all it takes 5 min tops.

Yes it will. I've switched out several smartphones on My Verizon without any problems. The only times it hasn't let me switch out smartphones online was shortly after the Alltel/Verizon merger when I was still using Alltel phones. I had to call to get those activated. But Verizon smartphones activate just fine through My Verizon.