Buy one Droid get one free

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
When I got my DROID on the 6th, the Verizon rep offered me a free LG phone if I opened-up another line. My daughter is getting close to the age where she's needing one, so I said, "what the hell"? They waved the activation fee and now she gets a Birthday present.

This is a different deal, apparently?...

- Mega

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Oh--and keep in mind there's always a "price" to pay for early adopters on any new technology. :) Take me for example, who...

1.) Bought a DIVX player when they first came out.
2.) Bought a HD-DVD player two weeks before Toshiba killed the platform. (I couldn't return it...)
3.) Hmmm, no, I'm stopping there before I embarrass myself.

LOL

My point, be damn happy you'll have more people in the DROID community and more apps to choose from in the very near future--if this is true! In terms of technology adoption, if my two examples don't convince you "more is better", then this post is meaningless.

- Mega

P8ntballer789

Reaction score
They could possibly be doing this to compete with the other companies sellling Droid. i know places like dell mobile, walmart and other places are offering the Droid cheaper if you agree to a 2yr contract.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Oh--and keep in mind there's always a "price" to pay for early adopters on any new technology. :) Take me for example, who...

1.) Bought a DIVX player when they first came out.
2.) Bought a HD-DVD player two weeks before Toshiba killed the platform. (I couldn't return it...)
3.) Hmmm, no, I'm stopping there before I embarrass myself.

LOL

My point, be damn happy you'll have more people in the DROID community and more apps to choose from!

- Mega

Don't tell me, you've got a Betamax, an Elcasette and an HD DVD player :D

FatTony

Reaction score
So if one adds a line with a Droid then another line up for upgrade could get a free Droid? Am I understanding this correctly? Or is it only for new customers/lines?

Monstrosity

Reaction score
As I was told with a chat form live sales person, they said if the deals does happen, that it won't be available for existing users, not even to open a new line.

FatTony

Reaction score
Then it's a stupid deal. No love for current loyal customers. And I'm not saying that just because I am a customer I think I deserve anything but to have a deal like this only for new customers kinda sucks.

Monstrosity

Reaction score
I believe their aim is to incourage more business, and maybe a few iphone switchers because they get 2 droids instead of 1 iphone.

raven1911

Reaction score
Even if this is not true, it will be one day. I just wish companies like VZW would appreciate their EXISTING customers instead of always bowing down to new customers.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Have you guys heard of market value? It has nothing to do with paying for technology as its new. Obviously, just like with most products, as time progresses the price will go down.

It is simply bad business. Verizon knows the Droid is their flagship phone at the moment (a month in to sales). They don't need to give it out like candy to make it a favorite for sheep to graze.

You can look at all my posts and I have a firm supporter of Droid...but giving one away free just makes the phone seem to have an inferiority (which is also bad for consumer perception). Verizon did this with Blackberrys after the Storm rush and the Storm failure. Last time I checked..there was no Droid failure.

It makes no sense to do this with a Droid, a little over a month in to sales...with the amount of hype and good reviews existing. You don't go buying a brand new Mercedes for $15,000.

Last edited:

thelion

Reaction score
Maybe these companies would not need to work so hard to recruit new customers if they treated their existing customers better. If VZW treats me right I may not look to AT&T to treat me better....

japaleno

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, my wife and i switched to vzw a couple weeks ago, i got the droid and she got the eris for my second line. Does that mean I can go back and get a free droid since I did get a second line? I don't care one way or the other, but I would be stupid to not go and get one if it is available.

thelion

Reaction score
Most likely not. You are now and existing customer so you would not qualify.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Don't worry Jap...the report was false anyway. It was probably relayed to that website by an undercover competitor of Motorola or Verizon to make some people wait and then become upset when the phone does not become "Free"...who then would just give up on getting the phone.

If sales of Droids were failing and consumer reports ripped the phone apart...then this tactic would be acceptable. (Just as the BB Storm rush ended and reality set in about the phone) This is not the case though.

I bought someone a BB Storm for someone when it first came out and I understood why about 8 months later they began giving one free after buying one. But this would make no sense now to do with the Droid.

And no business wants to look desperate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.