Busted screen

aglitch730

Reaction score
Just the other day I accidentally dropped my RAZR about 3ft..picked it up and screen was black. Theres a definite crack running from the side to about an inch in. The icons at the bottom will light up and the spot of the crack lights up, but nothing else does, so right now the phone is just an expensive paperweight. I don't have any warranty on it since I bought it 3rd party, so I'm looking to fix it myself and need a bit of help. Would this be a digitizer issue or the LCD as well? And where's a good place to order the replacement parts from? I'm in kuwait now, so I can't just run to the nearest repair shop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just the other day I accidentally dropped my RAZR about 3ft..picked it up and screen was black. Theres a definite crack running from the side to about an inch in. The icons at the bottom will light up and the spot of the crack lights up, but nothing else does, so right now the phone is just an expensive paperweight. I don't have any warranty on it since I bought it 3rd party, so I'm looking to fix it myself and need a bit of help. Would this be a digitizer issue or the LCD as well? And where's a good place to order the replacement parts from? I'm in kuwait now, so I can't just run to the nearest repair shop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wow, so sorry you suffered that loss. I know how I'd feel so I feel your pain, but I can't begin to feel your frustration since in Kuwait I am doubtful you'll find an outlet selling the needed parts.

I would say that if you see light at the crack, that tells me you likely have a busted display screen, not the digitizer. Also, this is an SAMOLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) based phone, not LCD (Liquid Crystal Display). Still, to get just the display screen and replace it successfully would be more hassle than it's worth in my opinion. I would instead opt for a combined digitizer/screen assembly. The cost isn't all that much more and you have one unit that covers all bases. This is one link Motorola Droid Razr Screen Replacements & Repair Parts (though I don't see the combined display assembly), but if you Google search for replacement Droid RAZR screen digitizer, you'll likely find more.

Best of luck, and hurry home! :biggrin:

Jmm003

Reaction score
I cracked my screen about two months ago in a very similar incident. My Razr slipped out of a pocket, fell about 3 to 4 feet, and landed face down on a tile floor. Needless to say, the screen was spider-webbed beyond usability. While my digitizer was entirely functional, the glass was cracked to the point where I would get little shards in my finger every time I swiped across the screen.

Based merely upon my experience, it sounds like you have a busted screen and digitizer.

I searched forever for a replacement screen so I could attempt to fix the Razr myself. If I remember correctly, I believe that I saw a tear-down of the Razr somewhere that showed the screen and digitizer are bonded together; they have to be replaced as a single unit. When I couldn't find a replacement part online - I'll chalk it up to the Razr being less than 4 months old at the time - I sent it to Motorola to fix. The cost was approximately $175 and the turn around time was about 1 week. Admittedly $175 isn't cheap, but it's certainly better than paying upwards of $700 full retail, or even $300-400 to a third party on e-bay.

Last edited: