Droid razr digitizer and lcd replacement

PaxPCLS

Reaction score
Ok, first let me say that I appreciate anyone who takes the time to view this and respond. 17 days ago I got a brand new droid razr. And boy was i excited. I have been an android user since the g1 cMs out years ago. Well today I had my phone in my front pocket and i bent to pick something up, you phone fell 3 feet to the carpet and the screen shattered. I can still see everything and use the phone perfectly, in fact I'm writing this on it now, but the digitizer has a spiderweb crack in it. I have 3 questions. 1) have you ever heard of one of these breaking that easily? I have to say either it just is some freak accident or this is an unbelievably flawed product. 2) verizon says that it is physical damage and that it is not covered so I should call asurion, asurion says they are not covering the claim because my Insurance hasn't been active long enough and "for it to have broken like this something must have been defective in the lcd to begin with and verizon shod replace it".... Long story short after 5 hours on the phone. Each between the two of them no one will help. I can easily repair the screen myself but I would like to know this: many websites have just the digitizer for a decent price. Is it possible to replace just the digitizer as this is all that is broken on my phone or is it like an iphone or ipod touch where the lcd and digitizer are one unit and must be replaced together? My last question, I contacted motorola directly. I told an "out of warranty " repair on my device would be $159.99. That sounds like a pretty good deal. But she kept saying "if the device can be fixed". I said it's a broken screen, can they fix that? And she said" I cannot make that determination over the phone only our technicians can an say once we receive the unit. This just sounded a little hinky to me because the price was so much lower than any other repairplace I contacted, I can barely find the the lcd/digitizer combo at all, let alone below $260. The combination of this and the fact that I couldn't get a straight answer out of the lady on whether or not they would replace the screen or declare it unfixable made me nervous to just jup in and send it off. If anyone has had any experience with this process feedback would help reassure me. Thank you. Ps.... I am writing this on a busted screen so forgive any misspellings or predictive text mistakes

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok, first let me say that I appreciate anyone who takes the time to view this and respond. 17 days ago I got a brand new droid razr. And boy was i excited. I have been an android user since the g1 cMs out years ago. Well today I had my phone in my front pocket and i bent to pick something up, you phone fell 3 feet to the carpet and the screen shattered. I can still see everything and use the phone perfectly, in fact I'm writing this on it now, but the digitizer has a spiderweb crack in it. I have 3 questions. 1) have you ever heard of one of these breaking that easily? I have to say either it just is some freak accident or this is an unbelievably flawed product. 2) verizon says that it is physical damage and that it is not covered so I should call asurion, asurion says they are not covering the claim because my Insurance hasn't been active long enough and "for it to have broken like this something must have been defective in the lcd to begin with and verizon shod replace it".... Long story short after 5 hours on the phone. Each between the two of them no one will help. I can easily repair the screen myself but I would like to know this: many websites have just the digitizer for a decent price. Is it possible to replace just the digitizer as this is all that is broken on my phone or is it like an iphone or ipod touch where the lcd and digitizer are one unit and must be replaced together? My last question, I contacted motorola directly. I told an "out of warranty " repair on my device would be $159.99. That sounds like a pretty good deal. But she kept saying "if the device can be fixed". I said it's a broken screen, can they fix that? And she said" I cannot make that determination over the phone only our technicians can an say once we receive the unit. This just sounded a little hinky to me because the price was so much lower than any other repairplace I contacted, I can barely find the the lcd/digitizer combo at all, let alone below $260. The combination of this and the fact that I couldn't get a straight answer out of the lady on whether or not they would replace the screen or declare it unfixable made me nervous to just jup in and send it off. If anyone has had any experience with this process feedback would help reassure me. Thank you. Ps.... I am writing this on a busted screen so forgive any misspellings or predictive text mistakes

This is a more common occurance than most believe. The interesting thing is some of these phones have survived 2 story falls from the top of a ladder with nary a scratch, and others have broken from a bracelet being dropped on it from 6" away. The glass is RESISTANT to Scratches, but not unbreakable.

As for the insurance, it's insured, threaten them and stand your ground.

The digitizer can be replaced alone but I suspect there will be a cleaner repair if both digitizer and display are replaced together as they come affixed to each other. The risks of separate install of the digitizer is misalignment, possible uneven pressure which can lead to future failure, and dust collection between the glass surfaces, as well as other possible problems I can't come up with at the moment.

Last edited:
OP
P

PaxPCLS

Reaction score
Asurion says that the claim is fraud because I waited for a few days before I got the insurance added to the phones and i can't prove that the damage didn't occur before the insurance was added even though verizon said we had 30 days to add it. I just want to fix my phone, I don't have the patience to deal with them and verizon without blowing my lid....

OP
P

PaxPCLS

Reaction score
I know they sell just the digitizer but on the breakdown video they didn't show the digitizer as being removable from the lcd, they may just not have gone that far in the video but I don't want to spend $80 on a digitizer I can't use because the lcd won't separate.

kparks

Reaction score
Asurion says that the claim is fraud because I waited for a few days before I got the insurance added to the phones and i can't prove that the damage didn't occur before the insurance was added even though verizon said we had 30 days to add it. I just want to fix my phone, I don't have the patience to deal with them and verizon without blowing my lid....

When did u get the insurance added and when did the screen crack?? They can't just assume that the phone has been broke and call it fraud lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
P

PaxPCLS

Reaction score
Got the phones on 3/1, insurance 3/10, damage 3/19

OP
P

PaxPCLS

Reaction score
What they can do, what they should do, and what they are doing are all separate things....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Got the phones on 3/1, insurance 3/10, damage 3/19

What they can do, what they should do, and what they are doing are all separate things....

True, but you can prove the screen wasn't broken after the insurance was placed, I'm sure, because SOMEBODY you know, a co-worker, a friend, family member, store clerk, etc., had to see the phone in fully good order during those 9 days and can attest to it. They can't just "claim" fraud, THEY HAVE TO PROVE IT. Fraud is a very serious accusation, a Federal crime, and this is something you should vehemently deny and stand your ground against. I was a licensed insurance agent and believe me they don't want to get brought into court over such a claim. They would ultimately have to pay all court costs and attorney's fees PLUS reimburse you for the repair, and possibly get a serious slap on the wrist from the judge or jury.

I wouldn't let them get away with it.

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score
True, but you can prove the screen wasn't broken after the insurance was placed, I'm sure, because SOMEBODY had to see the phone in fully god order during those 9 days and can attest to it. They can't just "claim" fraud, THEY HAVE TO PROVE IT. Fraud is a very serious accusation, a Federal crime, and this is something you should vehemently deny and stand your ground against. I was a licensed insurance agent and believe me they don't want to get brought into court over such a claim. They would ultimately have to pay all court costs and attorney's fees PLUS reimburse you for the repair, and possibly get a serious slap on the wrist from the judge or jury.

I wouldn't let them get away with it.

Exactly I'd call them up and tell them to fix it and 9 days is plenty of time.... I'd tell them to prove it then..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
P

PaxPCLS

Reaction score
I will try again.... Like I said earlier though, I've been on the phone with these people for hours already, spoken to supervisors..... I'm not sure what else I can do at this point except make myself furious all over again.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I will try again.... Like I said earlier though, I've been on the phone with these people for hours already, spoken to supervisors..... I'm not sure what else I can do at this point except make myself furious all over again.

Get me on the phone with them. I'll straighten them out. Just remain calm, but refuse to accept no for an answer. Tell them that by denying your claim they are putting themselves at risk of prosecution for breech of contract, and that no where in your contract does it state any contestability or seasoning period. Ask them to show you where in your contract it gives then the right to deny a claim based on how many days after the insurance is placed the claim is made. The fact is there is no seasoning period in such extended warranty policies.

Their job is to deny claims that are bogus, but they take it too far, instead attempting to deny all claims that they can get away with - whether bogus or not. They're hoping you'll give up. Prove them wrong and receive the benefit you bought and paid for. It was a contract for value, you provided them the value of your money, and in exchange they are required to provide you the value of the insurance protection. If they still resist, tell them you're next calls will be to the Attorney General for your state, the one for their state of domicile, and the US Attorney General, as well as the NAIC ( http://www.naic.org/).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shizumie

Reaction score
Just wondering what ever came of your claim? I have a razr added to my account about 2 months ago- bought off of ebay. But verizon has been steady charging me that $ for insurance for the 2 months after the swap. I just cracked my screen.. will i run into the same problem (well how do we know you didnt do it prior to adding insurance since not purchased new). If so i want to know the best way to handle it. Thanks

DiegoRodriguez

Reaction score
Paxplc my screen also has a crack in it, i got it on the 23 of december 2012 so 2 days ago I was having a casual day at school, then when I get home I notice a medium size crack in the corner. No I didn't do any physical activities or any thing. Maybe there is a manufacturer defect?