Bump Charge Battery

nateccnn

Reaction score
I was skeptical. But I try to try new things before posting negative comments about it. So this morning when I got to the office I bump charged battery.

7 hours later I have 68% battery remaining.

I have also set my screen brightness down to 20% and turned off any syncing I don't need. But even with these settings I was usually at 45% after 7 hours. I would say the bump charge made a significant improvement.

If you don't know what it is...charge phone till led goes green. Unplug phone. Turn it off. Plug phone back in and wait till led turns green again. Unplug phone. Turn phone back on. Plug it in again till lead turns green again. Un plug it. Turn it off. Plug it back in till the led turns green again. Unplug it. Turn it back on and plug it in again. When the led is green again...enjoy. the last time it should charge to green led a lot faster than the first couple times. If not...do it again.

Nate

pandabear

Reaction score
I tried doing the bump charge and got 20+ hours of up time out of the TB (granted, 10 hours of it was on wifi while I was asleep).
Do you know if we'll have to do the bump charge everytime we charge the TB?

kparks

Reaction score
i highly advise NOT to do this it will kill your battery.. and u dont gain alot of battery time anyway and its a huge hassle.. but if you want to buy a new battery every 3to4 months go right ahead

mkjellgren

Reaction score
i highly advise NOT to do this it will kill your battery.. and u dont gain alot of battery time anyway and its a huge hassle.. but if you want to buy a new battery every 3to4 months go right ahead

You are the only person I have heard (on multiple threads) state minimal gains and battery damage. This has been a pretty common technique on multiple Android phones from the d1 to the evo. I understand that it may not be the best thing ever for the battery but has anyone actually reported real damage? Also, in terms of "minimal gains"...I would say many folks, including myself have seen more than minimal gains. I personally have gained over 6 extra hours on my battery since bump charging. I did it all the time with my d1 and never experienced any negative effects. I've done it once with my tbolt about 4 days ago and have seen greatly improved battery life ever since. Basically I'm just looking for real documentation stating negative effects on the battery since you are the only person I have seen preaching it like its your job...

Sent from my ADR6400L

AlexSB

Reaction score
I'm actually thinking about trying it but I wanna see how Long my battery will last while at school, my schools WiFi is pretty unreliable.

This thread has been struck by THUNDER...lightning?

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing the bump charge that the guy in the commercial does! You know hook up a few lightning rods on the roof?

AlexSB

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing the bump charge that the guy in the commercial does! You know hook up a few lightning rods on the roof?

You'll never have to charge your phone again lol

This thread has been struck by THUNDER...lightning?

Dxun

Reaction score
Here's what I did today. Factory reset my phone, and left apps stock. The only app I use is battery doctor. Of course I downloaded Facebook as well. Battery life has been just as good as my rooted DroidX up till now. There must have been a rogue app that was causing my battery to drop the way it was.

I plan on downloading 1 or 2 apps a day until I can figure out which 1 was the culprit.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

kparks

Reaction score

You are the only person I have heard (on multiple threads) state minimal gains and battery damage. This has been a pretty common technique on multiple Android phones from the d1 to the evo. I understand that it may not be the best thing ever for the battery but has anyone actually reported real damage? Also, in terms of "minimal gains"...I would say many folks, including myself have seen more than minimal gains. I personally have gained over 6 extra hours on my battery since bump charging. I did it all the time with my d1 and never experienced any negative effects. I've done it once with my tbolt about 4 days ago and have seen greatly improved battery life ever since. Basically I'm just looking for real documentation stating negative effects on the battery since you are the only person I have seen preaching it like its your job...

Sent from my ADR6400L
WOW you cought me my life goal is to make everyone have crappy battery life LOL get real dude...well you are the only person following me into threads and talking about my post's and you want me to believe your getting 6 extra hours LMAO maybe after u unplug your phone try taking it with you and use it!! ppl with the tbolt arnt getting that from a full charge but ur getting 6 extra hours.. . when i bumped charge and monitored my usage i would get about 40 extra min to 1 hour MAX............ hear is the link its the same article u guys keep quoting maybe you should read it all next time. Your Battery Gauge Is Lying To You: Everything You Need To Know About Bump Charging And Inconsistent Battery Drain | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police
So What Does It All Mean?

If you absolutely need the highest capacity on a device like this, you will need to bump charge. There are currently people experimenting with "fixes" for this, but I have yet to see one that works. Be warned, however, that repeated bump charging will wear your battery faster and begin to reduce its capacity. If you are a "power user" who will buy a new battery a few months from now anyway, this presumably isn’t a concern. If you are an average consumer who uses a device for a few years, I would recommend that you stay away from bump charging.

Dxun

Reaction score

Sent from my ADR6400L
WOW you cought me my life goal is to make everyone have crappy battery life LOL get real dude...well you are the only person following me into threads and talking about my post's and you want me to believe your getting 6 extra hours LMAO maybe after u unplug your phone try taking it with you and use it!! ppl with the tbolt arnt getting that from a full charge but ur getting 6 extra hours.. . when i bumped charge and monitored my usage i would get about 40 extra min to 1 hour MAX............ hear is the link its the same article u guys keep quoting maybe you should read it all next time. Your Battery Gauge Is Lying To You: Everything You Need To Know About Bump Charging And Inconsistent Battery Drain | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police
So What Does It All Mean?

If you absolutely need the highest capacity on a device like this, you will need to bump charge. There are currently people experimenting with "fixes" for this, but I have yet to see one that works. Be warned, however, that repeated bump charging will wear your battery faster and begin to reduce its capacity. If you are a "power user" who will buy a new battery a few months from now anyway, this presumably isn’t a concern. If you are an average consumer who uses a device for a few years, I would recommend that you stay away from bump charging.

Battery is driving everyone nuts. I did the battery bump thing 2 days ago and it really didn't help much. I'm willing to bet that most people having trouble with battery are coming from a older model Droid, and when they activated their phones all the apps they have used before auto downloaded.

Greg Elmassian

Reaction score
From a person who has used many lithium batteries in actual designs, "bump" charging basically is a way to force more charge into a battery that was already probably at 90%... You will be overcharging the battery and will shorten it's life. Yes you will probably get to 100% capacity, but charging beyond 100% causes damage, and you are basically overriding the charging circuit's smarts.

In life, there is never something for nothing. Do it if you want to get the max and don't mind buying batteries more often.

Greg

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I never said I got an extra 6 hours out of my tb. I said I got another 6 hours out of my og Droid. I did however get a significant improvement out of my tb (2 hours or so). You still did not give any real negative effect from this method. That's what I am asking. I personally have seen more than "minimal" gains from this method and id like to hear a real reason not to other than its bad and will kill your battery. No offence but I've seen you post this in numerous threads without any documentation other than your word ( aside from that last link which imho doesn't really have any conclusive evidence)

Sent from my ADR6400L

dlnp22

Reaction score
You ladies done here?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Greg Elmassian

Reaction score
Might I suggest you google lithium ion charging techniques and read what happens when you go over 100% charge?

I know what happens, but you would probably believe someone else, and I don't really feel like defending my 35+ years of engineering experience.

Greg