How to obtain a full charge on the Incredible!

BzB

Reaction score
Unplugged mine 10 hrs ago and at 67% battery. Seidio slim extended battery ftw! Could be better but I refuse to moderate my usage or play around with my settings. Btw I'd usually be at about 40% battery with the stock battery.

Just read up on what those settings do.. no real danger or you wouldn't have access.
Your simply turning on or off certain functions/abilities.

All the nasty stuff is hidden behind access codes the normal user doesn't know how to get to and is not available in the simple menu of the phone.

I agree changing some settings will improve battery life. I just prefer to leave stuff like wifi, mobile data, background sync, and auto brightness active. I also limit the apps running in the background to only the essential ones for me.

Other than that I like using the phone when I want and how I want without having to be concerned about battery life. Unfortunately the real world doesn't always cater to my wants. Having the extended battery helps though. :)

jasonb

Reaction score
my battery life has always been fine with the OEM battery, but i just ordered the 1500Mah oem HTC battery, part number RHOD160. i work at a radio shack and on my break today i tried the battery from an HTC Hero which is the RHOD160, and it fit perfectly. no gap or anything. so when i got home i ordered one brand new on ebay for $15.

my battery life has been fine but i'll take an extra 200Mah for 15 bucks.

gsf

Reaction score
I have no problems with mine staying on the charger all night.... it's fully charged each morning and good to go.... I'm not going to check my battery level every 5 minutes either lmao I check it on the way home and if it's been a heavy day I plug it in for the drive home and it's good until about midnight.

As i stated i use it light to moderate and that's the problem with battery comparisons among users is usage. I could only state what and how i use my phone, last night while the phone was powered on i left it on the charger. When i awoke some 8 hours (approx) later my LED was green, i powered down and the LED turned red/amber indicating " charging "

Approximately 10 minutes after powering down the LED turned green again, so i unplugged the charger and waited 5 minutes with the phone powered off and then plugged the charger in again, and again the red/amber light appeared indicating it was charging. Now after maybe 5 minutes the green LED came on, so i unplugged it and plugged back in quickly, the red/amber LED appeared again and within a few minutes (3-4) the green LED appeared, this time i allowed the phone to charge longer (15 minutes) with the green LED displayed.

I plugged the charger in and out again quickly and the red/amber charging LED remained on longer this time (approx 15 minutes)

I know some people don't have time or patience to go through this process, hay... just use the phone... when the battery is low change it, or connect the charger when possible or needed...

Yesterday i got 30 hours of light/moderate use before charging my phone before going to bed... camera.. bluetooth... phone exploring... texts... phone calls... WiFI on continuously... NO internet use.

I'm just trying to figure out why when a full charge is indicated, why doesn't the phone display a full charge if the charger is plugged in again quickly, why does it take another 10-15 minutes for the full charge (green LED) to be displayed.

windstrings

Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out why when a full charge is indicated, why doesn't the phone display a full charge if the charger is plugged in again quickly, why does it take another 10-15 minutes for the full charge (green LED) to be displayed.

Your tricking the charger into thinking the phone is depleted still. Lets say your voltage drops from 4220 to 4160 when you take it off the charger.
If the phone had been charging from dead, ...."4160mv" would mean the phone is not charged "remember its been on the charger since dead without interruption" and so it continues to charge till it hits the trip voltage for the protection circuit to start shutting down the amperage.

Keep in mind the charger starts shutting down amperage flow when voltages reach close to the trip voltage.. but disconnecting it, your dropping below those trip voltages.

While Lithium ion is rock solid on voltage swings during normal discharge, there is a pretty good voltage difference between charge verses non-charge/under a load. Without that voltage difference, there would be no "push" to get the amperage past the batteries internal resistance so it could accept a charge.

If you have have the phone on.. its under a load.

I would think that simply leaving the charger on "longer" would accomplish the same end results to the battery.

You're maybe getting it done faster with these little short jolts of higher amperage being forced in the battery from the charger.

gsf

Reaction score

Your tricking the charger into thinking the phone is depleted still. Lets say your voltage drops from 4220 to 4160 when you take it off the charger.
If the phone had been charging from dead, ...."4160mv" would mean the phone is not charged "remember its been on the charger since dead without interruption" and so it continues to charge till it hits the trip voltage for the protection circuit to start shutting down the amperage.

Keep in mind the charger starts shutting down amperage flow when voltages reach close to the trip voltage.. but disconnecting it, your dropping below those trip voltages.

While Lithium ion is rock solid on voltage swings during normal discharge, there is a pretty good voltage difference between charge verses non-charge/under a load. Without that voltage difference, there would be no "push" to get the amperage past the batteries internal resistance so it could accept a charge.

If you have have the phone on.. its under a load.

I would think that simply leaving the charger on "longer" would accomplish the same end results to the battery.

You're maybe getting it done faster with these little short jolts of higher amperage being forced in the battery from the charger.

So... is the green LED (fully charge indicator) a FALSE POSITIVE, if my phone is powered down (off) and i charge it until the green LED comes on, then disconnect the charger and plug it back in, shouldn't the green LED indicator light up again, why instead does it go back to red/amber again for 5 minutes until the green LED comes on again.

My next charge, i'll just disconnect the charger when the green LED appears, and be on my way.

windstrings

Reaction score
So... is the green LED (fully charge indicator) a FALSE POSITIVE, if my phone is powered down (off) and i charge it until the green LED comes on, then disconnect the charger and plug it back in, shouldn't the green LED indicator light up again, why instead does it go back to red/amber again for 5 minutes until the green LED comes on again.

My next charge, i'll just disconnect the charger when the green LED appears, and be on my way.

The green indicator light is more like a "good to go" indicator rather than a fully charged indicator.

Once your green light comes on as charged.. if you check the mv readings, you will still be in the 4100's mv reading... if you leave it another 2 - 3 hours, you will finally achieve 4225 "or slightly below" indicating a full charge as the protection circuit will not let things charge more than that.

There is possibly 10 - 15% "just a guess" more juice you can get into the battery from the point the green light goes on to the point when its actually fully and truly charged.

We got into fairly deep discussions on this thread as we were playing with the app "battery left" to fine tune its settings and options.

Last edited:

gsf

Reaction score

The green indicator light is more like a "good to go" indicator rather than a fully charged indicator.

Once your green light comes on as charged.. if you check the mv readings, you will still be in the 4100's mv reading... if you leave it another 2 - 3 hours, you will finally achieve 4225 "or slightly below" indicating a full charge as the protection circuit will not let things charge more than that.

There is possibly 10 - 15% "just a guess" more juice you can get into the battery from the point the green light goes on to the point when its actually fully and truly charged.

We got into fairly deep discussions on this thread as we were playing with the app "battery left" to fine tune its settings and options.

I gonna monitor the next two charges...

gsf

Reaction score

where are you getting the MV reading from... battery left? I just installed and charged my 1750 battery, i gonna check this one also.

kmo

Reaction score
Battery left has all the readings you'll need. Took a couple of days running it to achieve accurate read but works great.

windstrings

Reaction score
Batteryleft is the easiest realtime way to see without having to go into system menu's.... it simply monitors from the system anyway.

StaggerLee

Reaction score
I have two questions regarding the whole charge when on, turn off, charge again until green, unplug, charge again until green, etc...

First, let me say that I have been using this method and it works great. I get a ton more out of my battery (I'm using the Seidio 1750). This Saturday I didn't use this method and I was at 90% within about a half hour of unplugging, with no use, so I'm convinced this approach works.

My questions: Does powering up and down every day hurt the phone? I've turned my computer on and off every day and it seems fine, but not sure about how it affects a smartphone.

If I continue to power down every day to get a full charge, will my stupid City ID trial ever end or does it keep restarting? What a horrible app. It has not been correct once with it's location yet, not once!

infinitempg

Reaction score
Main question is when is the Incredible Extended Battery 2150mah hitting the scene? I was on the phone with a Verizon tech who said he could take my order for it right then and there for $59 (ouch!) but he said I could just order it on their website under accessories for the Incredible. Can't find it on their site. He also said it could be obtained cheaper from third parties... and can't find that either.

The 2150 would probably answer all this and I could live with the new puffy case as that takes less pocket space then a charger does.

windstrings

Reaction score
The 2150 would probably answer all this and I could live with the new puffy case as that takes less pocket space then a charger does.

seidio is coming out with the 3500mah... since the footprint of surface area is so much bigger than the droid moto, its not supposed to add more than 3 - 4cm to the phone thickness.

windstrings

Reaction score
My questions: Does powering up and down every day hurt the phone? I've turned my computer on and off every day and it seems fine, but not sure about how it affects a smartphone.

Won't hurt it to power down...... I don't know what the issue is with city ID.

BzB

Reaction score
has anyone even tested if the battery actually lasts longer using this method? i'm talking about the actual run-down time, not what a battery meter says. interested in the actual results for those that do try it, and if it's even worth it for an extra 5 mins of battery life. lol

i won't be trying this personally as i don't have the time or patience or need to follow the process. i've been using the slim extended battery and i just plug the phone in when i go to bed every night. no need to charge a couple times during the day.