Bump Charge Battery

kparks

Reaction score
I never said I got an extra 6 hours out of my tb. I said I got another 6 hours out of my og Droid. I did however get a significant improvement out of my tb (2 hours or so). You still did not give any real negative effect from this method. That's what I am asking. I personally have seen more than "minimal" gains from this method and id like to hear a real reason not to other than its bad and will kill your battery. No offence but I've seen you post this in numerous threads without any documentation other than your word ( aside from that last link which imho doesn't really have any conclusive evidence)

Sent from my ADR6400L
dude im not going to argue with you.. i used to bump charge it ruins battery's then u will need to buy a new one plus the hassle of plugin it in 10 times its not worth it! I gave u a article and my own personal experience.. why dont u show me some proof it extends the battery?? you cant because usage trends vary every day... but it is common knowledge what happens when you over charge batterys. im only in the forums to get and give information im just trying to help and let ppl know if you do this what could happen and tell my story on it before they who may not have ever done it try to do it!

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I'm done. I just wanted to learn exactly WHY its bad not just someone saying its bad. I have had nothing but good experiences bump charging so I'm obviously skeptical. No offence intended.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score
I'm done. I just wanted to learn exactly WHY its bad not just someone saying its bad. I have had nothing but good experiences bump charging so I'm obviously skeptical. No offence intended.

Sent from my ADR6400L
dont worry its cool we both obviously have had different experience with this

mkjellgren

Reaction score

Sent from my ADR6400L

Thanks man, I really didn't mean to start an argument. Sorry I came off hostile.

Sent from my ADR6400L

kparks

Reaction score

Sent from my ADR6400L

Thanks man, I really didn't mean to start an argument. Sorry I came off hostile.

Sent from my ADR6400L
its all good were both just hear to help and show some insight... ill see you in the next battery thread haha

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Haha I'm done with battery threads...I get great battery life... :p

Sent from my ADR6400L

Greg Elmassian

Reaction score
Overcharging any battery shortens it's lifespan. Lithium batteries are the most intolerant of overcharging. The overcharging creates heat, which helps destroy the proper chemical function of the electrolyte in the battery. Enough overcharging and you can catch one on fire, but I believe that won't happen with the current charging system.

Overheating actually causes a chemical change so the the battery cannot store a charge as well... also it usually also drys out the battery electrolyte in most cases.

The problem is that the charging circuit takes a while to determine how much to charge the battery, and so it charges "blind" for a while. If the battery is already fully charged, then it will become overcharged.

Hope that is enough explanation.. like I said, google and you will find all kinds of information.

Greg

kparks

Reaction score
Overcharging any battery shortens it's lifespan. Lithium batteries are the most intolerant of overcharging. The overcharging creates heat, which helps destroy the proper chemical function of the electrolyte in the battery. Enough overcharging and you can catch one on fire, but I believe that won't happen with the current charging system.

Overheating actually causes a chemical change so the the battery cannot store a charge as well... also it usually also drys out the battery electrolyte in most cases.

The problem is that the charging circuit takes a while to determine how much to charge the battery, and so it charges "blind" for a while. If the battery is already fully charged, then it will become overcharged.

Hope that is enough explanation.. like I said, google and you will find all kinds of information.

Greg
thanks great info and makes "sense" lol

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I don't go to this extreme to bump charge. I just charge until green, turn off, charge again until green. It holds me at higher charge for longer I've found.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That sounds MUCH better! Haha! Gonna try this tonight :)

I don't go to this extreme to bump charge. I just charge until green, turn off, charge again until green. It holds me at higher charge for longer I've found.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score

I did that seame thing. Each time I did it it took anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes for the green light to come on again. This morning I did it and the green light came on in a few seconds after plugging it back in.

What does that tell you about your battery charging circuit and program on the phone?

Nate

alboboy10

Reaction score
Lol I dont wanna shut off my phone five times and do all this.

What happens if it turns green, and you just left it charge a little more as opposed to shutting off your phone and waiting until it turns green.

Theoretically it's the same concept, you're just letting your phone charge for longer than it tells you to.

cnmsales

Reaction score
Not the same at all, because once the light turns green the system stops charging it up more and at that point just HOLDS whats already there.