Bricked Droid 3

MelissaAnn

Reaction score
So I am fuzzy on all the details but before he went to work my boyfriend was trying to recover a backup on his phone after installing a rom last night and now his phone won't boot up, it is stuck in the Motorola dual core screen and he says he needs to sbf to get it running again. Is there an sbf file to download( so that he can still get future updates if he wants them). Right now his phone is unusable and we do not have an alternate phone for him to use. Hope someone can help.........

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

scott240

Reaction score

Thank you very much my phone is back up and running, I will put those files in a safe place because I am sure I will need them in the future with all the messing around I do with my phone it is bound to happen again. I tried to switch from the narcotics rom back to steeldroid, I tried to load version 2.0 and that's when it all went bad. I will try and load it again since I want to try 3.0

fishacura

Reaction score
Scott, what exactly did you do with the SBF file once you downloaded it? It'd be great to know your procedure for many of us who are also flashing ROMS but are not sure what to do if the worst happens...

OP
M

MelissaAnn

Reaction score
Scott, what exactly did you do with the SBF file once you downloaded it? It'd be great to know your procedure for many of us who are also flashing ROMS but are not sure what to do if the worst happens...

So what you want to do is go to the link that is posted as the first reply in this thread (thank you so much by the way) and download RSD lite if you don't have it already and also one of the 2 files to restore the phone. The one that says it is the leaked ota version is the stock one I think, that is what someone in the forum said. Then I just followed his directions on that thread. Theybwere very clear and simple to follow. The phone was back up and running within an hour of me receiving the message about the link.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

fishacura

Reaction score
@MelissaAnn - THANKS! So is RDS lite something you would run on your PC or on your device? I will download later and find out I suppose but was just curious. Thanks!

@Bullitt - Thanks for sharing. This will go into the "favorites" folder for sure! Not sure I can find a specific procedure for how exactly to do it but hopefully I will not have to.

scott240

Reaction score
Hey guys, here's a link to a DroidLife page that has both the sbf and a link to an XDA page that walks you through the flashing process, thought I'd link it here since someone will probably come here looking for answers. Here ya go...Droid 3 Unbrick SBF Released to Ease Your Hacking Fears - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Melissa said she went to that forum and all the links are bad, that's why she had to ask for them here. Just thought I would share the info. So grab the files from this thread and follow the directions on that forum and you should be good to go.

xaelith

Reaction score
Fishacura - RSD Lite is a computer program made by motorola to help push programs to one's phone when said phone is unable or unwilling to receive those files by ordinary means.

fishacura

Reaction score
Thanks folks. I found the xda thread also but don't see "directions" anywhere as noted above. The first thread has some files and references RSD Lite and Moto Fastboot but I don't see how to use them exactly (probably because they're developers and I am borderline idiot...well maybe I have moved up to moron status). Anyway, any advice on a step by step for this? I have not bricked but I am going to do what I did for the root/flash process and write a NOOB guide so that people after me have one stop shopping for these sorts of Q&A,.

EDIT: Well I think I found directions in post #2 on this thread: http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?5103-SBF-Droid-3-Fastboot-files-(5.5.959-and-5.6.890)

However, in step 10 he references navigating to a .xml file that was included in the zip. Anyone know what file he's talking about?

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Sorry about the link issue, I think it's this computer at work. I will say that all the rooting and unbricking resources can be found here in the forums, or on the xda site. Sometimes you can luck out with a google search by entering search criteria like "unbrick D3, XDA, sbf" and at least a couple of the first links will be to xda or here, those links will usually take you right to a thread with good download links or a location of them. Sorry again.:)

Edit** Just checked the links...worked for me...maybe we have a case of haunted computer? lol

fishacura

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah some of the links are kinda screwy lol! Hey, when you use RSDlite and run that 5.6.890 file from it, will it literally restore it back to "VERIZON" factory meaning you could then go back to a VZ store and it'd look like it did when you got it?

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Hmmm...if you're talking about unrooting your phone, all you would need to do is use an unroot method (and you can find them in the D3 forums here and on XDA), then just go into your phone settings, about phone, then go to system updates and it should download and install that for you. That would put your phone back in the state you describe. Many verizon reps probably wouldn't care if they figured out that your rooted, but if I were going to hand my device into verizon for anything, I would unroot and reset first.

fishacura

Reaction score
Not really unrooting but completely resetting. My understanding is that you can open rsdlite and if you have the 5.5.890 .xml file you can use it to take a bricked (or non bricked I guess) phone and get it back to stock Verizon. Just trying to confirm that is true.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Hmmm... That sounds suspiciously like unrooting to me. Bear in mind, you can still have a rooted phone which appears stock, and the only ways you'd know it was rooted would be to look in the settings of the device afterwards for the version and signatures, and also the presence of superuser. I think that the method you're describing is an unroot method, and that's not a bad idea, really, considering you've had problems. I've had to unroot and reset devices before in order to totally clean slate them for re-root and then ROMs, Themes, etc...