Bricked Droid 3

fishacura

Reaction score
OK let me restate since I am obviously confusing some terminology. Let's say I have a rooted droid 3 running steel rom and I want to get it back to stock.

I know one option is to flash the deodexed stock with bootstrap and then use a one-click unroot method. I think I am saying that right....

But isn't there another way. Couldn't I take my rooted droid 3 running Steel Rom and us RSDlite to recover with the 5.6.89 .xml file method?

The latter seems both easier and more of a guarantee that you can get it back to exact new-in-box condition. Wouldn't that work?

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Okay, now I see what you're saying, you're wanting to know if you flash the file with rsdlite, if that's all you need to do? Theoretically, that should work, but I've never done it that way. I have a feeling that if you did, you'd still end up with root, so I would PM Chevy (the Dev and OP on the Steel Droid) and ask him what he thinks. Chevy had the first real ROM for us and I get the sense he knows the D3 pretty well. Were it me, I would start with a clean slate: reflash, unroot. I would definately do it this way especially if I'd already had any kind of problem. Hope this helps.

fishacura

Reaction score
My fear in unrooting is that I rooted via one-click but had to use the Windows XP version. This version doesn't have an unroot one click option so I am not even sure how to unroot now. I would think that rsdlite would completely wipe the phone...

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Yikes, I hear ya there. Does anyone you know have a newer computer or laptop theyd let you use in a coffee shop or somethin? That'd be an easy way around the XP problem, borrow a laptop, buy its owner a latte=fixed phone.

fishacura

Reaction score
I actually have VISTA on another machine. I was a little scared to have rooted using the XP patch and then try to unroot on another machine using the standard VISTA/Windows 7 one-click unroot. It might work fine...just not sure.

So you don't think the RSDLite would unroot? everything I read says that method pretty much brings the phone completely back to stock. Of course, what I don't know could fill an ocean. Learning lots from folks like you though so thanks!