Brett Henderson App - Unauthorized Install to all DROID3s since Google Play Update?

doogald

Reaction score
... and the app is showing up in the Play Store here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.contacts.preloaded under "com.motorola.contacts.preloaded" (notice that the comments match the comments you see on the app in the Play Store on the phone.)

So, it seems to be the custom Motorola contacts app. It shows up in the Play Store in my phone between Social Location and the Backup Assistant apps, at the very bottom of the list, which are both pre-loaded apps on the phone.

I think that this is benign.

ventura521

Reaction score
I also have it. i just got my phone from the warranty center and as i was setting it up, there it was. Have they made any progress as to what it is?

Siouxsie

Reaction score
So going back into the app list and have found same type of entry that is grayed out but the name is Souper Android Development. Is it possible this is somehow related to the "Brett Henderson app"?
If it is benign as you say doogald I would be so relieved.
So stupid question after already appearing stupid in my earlier posts, would using a custom ROM prevent stuff like this? I have been hesitant to muck around with rom's cuz if I mess up my phone I am hosed due to lack of time and funds. And what is general consensus on anti-malware apps and the like?
Thanks

beentravelin

Reaction score
Got rid of it

I was able to isolate the install as coming from an update of the Verizon Video app. If you uninstall the latest update of Verizon Video and then go to Settings>Applications>Google Play Store and then click clear cache it should remove from your list. It worked for me. Let me know if it works for you too.

jeni89

Reaction score
OMG! You are a genius! I did everything you said and it's gone! THANK YOU!! Like a dummy though I reupdated it ut this time it didn't come back ....im guessing verizon figure it out and fixed problem before we found out. I'm also having these pop up notes sayin I'm on less then 90% memory. Do you or anyone else getting that too and what it might be? It just started yesterday. Thanks again!

I was able to isolate the install as coming from a:pn update of the Verizon Video app. If you uninstall the latest update of Verizon Video and then go to Settings>Applications>Google Play Store and then click clear cache it should remove from your list. It worked for me. Let me know if it works for you too.

joew

Reaction score
I was able to isolate the install as coming from an update of the Verizon Video app. If you uninstall the latest update of Verizon Video and then go to Settings>Applications>Google Play Store and then click clear cache it should remove from your list. It worked for me. Let me know if it works for you too.

I also have the Brett Henderson app installed, but I never updated the latest verizon Video app, thus I cannot uninstall it. So, I'm not sure this is the solution, but if it worked for you, great. Waiting for an official solution from Android and/or Verizon.

Iria

Reaction score
I also have the Brett Henderson app installed, but I never updated the latest verizon Video app, thus I cannot uninstall it. So, I'm not sure this is the solution, but if it worked for you, great. Waiting for an official solution from Android and/or Verizon.

After trying the above solution, I now see "Souper Android Development" greyed out instead of Brett Henderson.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
I cleared the cache on Google Play Store and it now shows up as Souper Android Development and is still grayed out. I can't get rid of it on mine because I never got the Verizon Video update...

Something's up... so I'm being cautious about my usage...

Iria

Reaction score
I cleared the cache on Google Play Store and it now shows up as Souper Android Development and is still grayed out. I can't get rid of it on mine because I never got the Verizon Video update...

Something's up... so I'm being cautious about my usage...

Google was quick in responding about that Russian email program on Samsungs. Since they bought MOT I'm surprised they haven't said anything.

Stormbringer

Reaction score
No go on this fix. Souper Android Development still showed up grayed out. I went the extra route and force-removed Verizon Video app using Titanium Backup (it was already quarantined) just to see if that made a difference and it still shows up. So, I'm not so sure the two are related.

Siouxsie

Reaction score
So yesterday afternoon I froze the Video app and after checking my phone this morning the "Brett Henderson app" is gone but the "Souper Android Development app" is still there and grayed out. Any ideas yet about these mysterious "apps"? Is it like someone wrote that these could just be developer errors and that they were there all along just hidden?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ugh...this super android developer app just showed up today. No clue what it is. Looked in system/app and data/app and there's nothing corresponding to it. Could be some phantom thing I guess.

"Ready to do nothing at a moments notice"

Stormbringer

Reaction score
Ugh...this super android developer app just showed up today. No clue what it is. Looked in system/app and data/app and there's nothing corresponding to it. Could be some phantom thing I guess. "Ready to do nothing at a moments notice"
I found an empty directory /data/data/apps/com.motorola.contacts.preloaded/lib, but still haven't located the actual APK file.

rrlv

Reaction score
Didn't work for me

This suggestion didn't work for me. I contacted VZW Customer Service yesterday and went in a VZW store today and was told by both entities that they hadn't heard about this problem. Yesterday, when I "googled" Brett Henderson, nothing showed up about this app. However, today is a different story. There are a lot of links regarding this issue, most of which seem to be saying the same thing--appears on DROID 3, not authorized to download or install, can't be uninstalled, no information given about the app. Customer reviews generally say the same things, too.

Last edited:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I noticed this on my phone the exact day I received the update that allowed the use of "Installed" and "All" tabs. I saw the Brett Henderson app and not the other one, but I haven't payed much attention to it. I'm excited to see what the answer to this situation will be.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid