Brett Henderson App - Unauthorized Install to all DROID3s since Google Play Update?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by droid100, Mar 26, 2012.

1. droid100

droid100 New Member

Does anyone else see this app on their phone? It only shows up inside the Google Play Store app list, not under the phone's "Manage Apps"... What is it? I never installed this and it can't be uninstalled... thinking of resetting my phone because it doesn't look legitimate...

Anyone have any clue about this?

Check your phone, its probably there if you updated to the google play store... only appears to affect Droid3s...
  2. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 New Member

I looked around for it and couldn't find it...where exactly did you go to see it installed on your phone?
  3. doogald

doogald Member

It's not on my Droid 3. I searched the Play Store and there is nothing like that when you search.
  4. droid100

droid100 New Member

If you go to Google Play Store -> hit menu -> and select "My Apps" it shows up in the apps list... I dont know how it got there and i'm being cautious about what I do until I know what the deal is...
  5. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Not on mine either. Is it under the "installed" or "all" tab? I looked all over and nothing.
    Could you be specific to what app it is. It appears he has a few on the market.

"Ready to do nothing at a moments notice"
  6. Otakumom

Otakumom New Member

Hey there.

I have it here too.

Jstafford1: If you open up Google Play, then go to your installed Apps list, it should be right up on top of the installed apps. For me, it's the first one in the list, kinda grayed out.

I called Google Play customer service today after I saw the "app" and they have no idea what it is either. They sent my question to their bosses so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon about it.

droid100: Don't bother doing a hard reset on your phone. Your Android Market will reset to the old version then ask you to update to Google Play. Once you do, it'll just re-install into your apps. That's what happened to me.

For now, I'm not going to re-install any apps that require a password or any personal information (Goodbye Facebook, for a while) until Google get's their stuff together and figures out what this is.

My husband thinks it might be a programmers error on the part of this Brett Henderson, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hope I could help. ^_^

~Otakumom dancedroid
  7. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Well I don't have it for sure. Have you tried going into settings: manage apps: all: and clearing data for the play store? That might get rid of it from the list.

"Ready to do nothing at a moments notice"
  8. doogald

doogald Member

Ok, I see it. You have to slide "My Apps" over to "All" to see it in the list for me.

Since that list was never there in the older market, here's hoping that this is some Blur component that has always been there, just not marked properly.
  9. Iria

Iria New Member

It's on mine, too. You can find Brett Henderson on Google Play as a dev, but not an app ... I've posted this to XDA, Verizon and Avast as well, with no real replies except agreement.
  10. CB_pola

CB_pola New Member

Different UnAuthorised Install?

Got a notification tonight about an update available for app called MTC followed by some text in Russian, by OJSC Mobile TeleSystems.

Since I knew I didn't install that app I was suspicious and did NOT click on update, but went to Google Play / My Apps - and sure enough, it appears there with an update available, even though it does NOT appear if I go to Settings / Applications / Manage applications.

It is apparently some Russian Language only texting program.

Sounds suspiciously like a similar unauthorised install. I have sent a message to Google Play - just got an auto-response so far.
    Samsung GT-i9100, Android 2.3.4
  11. jamsesh

jamsesh New Member

I have it too. 1,000+ downloads according to the market, all comments asking the same thing - "What is this and how did it get on my phone??" Let me know what you hear back from the other sites :icon_eek:
  12. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Member

After reading these posts I checked my list and there it was 2/3 of the way down grayed out but showing installed.
    Anyone know anything about this yet?

Sent from rooted D3
  13. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Member

forgot to mention that it does not appear in Titanium Backup and I assume because it is not an app that appears Anywhere other than in GPS list.
    But I am only of padawan status and know not of such things.

Sent from rooted D3
  14. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Member

Ok third time-sorry
    I went into the rating for the "app" and one of the posters said it is a virus. Another poster said they had contacted Motorola and Google and neither knew what the heck this is but Motorola was going to bump the matter up to next level whatever that means. No One has been able to remove it and one poster said they were going to try to use a malware remover and would post back results.
    If anyone has any helpful advice for this or any clue as to what this may do to our phones Please post right away.
    Thanks.
  15. doogald

doogald Member

I'm not sure that I believe it's a virus. The explanation is probably something like this curiously coincidental story:

Google Play bug installs Russian email app on some Samsung Android devices | The Verge

(and this is CB_pola's issue, likely...)

As for it showing up in Titanium, it may be (probably is) there - you just don't know what it's called. (The app name in the listing is blank, after all.)
  16. doogald

doogald Member

... and the app is showing up in the Play Store here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.contacts.preloaded under "com.motorola.contacts.preloaded" (notice that the comments match the comments you see on the app in the Play Store on the phone.)

So, it seems to be the custom Motorola contacts app. It shows up in the Play Store in my phone between Social Location and the Backup Assistant apps, at the very bottom of the list, which are both pre-loaded apps on the phone.

I think that this is benign.
  17. ventura521

ventura521 New Member

I also have it. i just got my phone from the warranty center and as i was setting it up, there it was. Have they made any progress as to what it is?
  18. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Member

So going back into the app list and have found same type of entry that is grayed out but the name is Souper Android Development. Is it possible this is somehow related to the "Brett Henderson app"?
    If it is benign as you say doogald I would be so relieved.
    So stupid question after already appearing stupid in my earlier posts, would using a custom ROM prevent stuff like this? I have been hesitant to muck around with rom's cuz if I mess up my phone I am hosed due to lack of time and funds. And what is general consensus on anti-malware apps and the like?
    Thanks
  19. beentravelin

beentravelin New Member

Got rid of it

I was able to isolate the install as coming from an update of the Verizon Video app. If you uninstall the latest update of Verizon Video and then go to Settings>Applications>Google Play Store and then click clear cache it should remove from your list. It worked for me. Let me know if it works for you too.
  20. jeni89

jeni89 New Member

OMG! You are a genius! I did everything you said and it's gone! THANK YOU!! Like a dummy though I reupdated it ut this time it didn't come back ....im guessing verizon figure it out and fixed problem before we found out. I'm also having these pop up notes sayin I'm on less then 90% memory. Do you or anyone else getting that too and what it might be? It just started yesterday. Thanks again!

Search tags for this page
android unauthorized app install
brett henderson
brett henderson android app
does google play show day i installed app
droid3 unauthorized app install
how to allow unauthorized apps on s3
install google play
installing unauthorized apps android
samsung s3 unauthorized apps
samsung unauthorised apps

souper android development