Brett Henderson App - Unauthorized Install to all DROID3s since Google Play Update?

droid100

Reaction score
Does anyone else see this app on their phone? It only shows up inside the Google Play Store app list, not under the phone's "Manage Apps"... What is it? I never installed this and it can't be uninstalled... thinking of resetting my phone because it doesn't look legitimate...

Anyone have any clue about this?

Check your phone, its probably there if you updated to the google play store... only appears to affect Droid3s...

doogald

Reaction score
It's not on my Droid 3. I searched the Play Store and there is nothing like that when you search.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
If you go to Google Play Store -> hit menu -> and select "My Apps" it shows up in the apps list... I dont know how it got there and i'm being cautious about what I do until I know what the deal is...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Not on mine either. Is it under the "installed" or "all" tab? I looked all over and nothing.
Could you be specific to what app it is. It appears he has a few on the market.

"Ready to do nothing at a moments notice"

Otakumom

Reaction score
Hey there.

I have it here too.

Jstafford1: If you open up Google Play, then go to your installed Apps list, it should be right up on top of the installed apps. For me, it's the first one in the list, kinda grayed out.

I called Google Play customer service today after I saw the "app" and they have no idea what it is either. They sent my question to their bosses so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon about it.

droid100: Don't bother doing a hard reset on your phone. Your Android Market will reset to the old version then ask you to update to Google Play. Once you do, it'll just re-install into your apps. That's what happened to me.

For now, I'm not going to re-install any apps that require a password or any personal information (Goodbye Facebook, for a while) until Google get's their stuff together and figures out what this is.

My husband thinks it might be a programmers error on the part of this Brett Henderson, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hope I could help. ^_^

~Otakumom dancedroid

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Well I don't have it for sure. Have you tried going into settings: manage apps: all: and clearing data for the play store? That might get rid of it from the list.

doogald

Reaction score
If you go to Google Play Store -> hit menu -> and select "My Apps" it shows up in the apps list... I dont know how it got there and i'm being cautious about what I do until I know what the deal is...

Ok, I see it. You have to slide "My Apps" over to "All" to see it in the list for me.

Since that list was never there in the older market, here's hoping that this is some Blur component that has always been there, just not marked properly.

Iria

Reaction score
Not on mine either. Is it under the "installed" or "all" tab? I looked all over and nothing.
Could you be specific to what app it is. It appears he has a few on the market.

It's on mine, too. You can find Brett Henderson on Google Play as a dev, but not an app ... I've posted this to XDA, Verizon and Avast as well, with no real replies except agreement.

CB_pola

Reaction score
Different UnAuthorised Install?

Got a notification tonight about an update available for app called MTC followed by some text in Russian, by OJSC Mobile TeleSystems.

Since I knew I didn't install that app I was suspicious and did NOT click on update, but went to Google Play / My Apps - and sure enough, it appears there with an update available, even though it does NOT appear if I go to Settings / Applications / Manage applications.

It is apparently some Russian Language only texting program.

Sounds suspiciously like a similar unauthorised install. I have sent a message to Google Play - just got an auto-response so far.
Samsung GT-i9100, Android 2.3.4

jamsesh

Reaction score
I have it too. 1,000+ downloads according to the market, all comments asking the same thing - "What is this and how did it get on my phone??" Let me know what you hear back from the other sites :icon_eek:

Siouxsie

Reaction score
After reading these posts I checked my list and there it was 2/3 of the way down grayed out but showing installed.
Anyone know anything about this yet?

Sent from rooted D3

Siouxsie

Reaction score
forgot to mention that it does not appear in Titanium Backup and I assume because it is not an app that appears Anywhere other than in GPS list.
But I am only of padawan status and know not of such things.

Sent from rooted D3

Siouxsie

Reaction score
Ok third time-sorry
I went into the rating for the "app" and one of the posters said it is a virus. Another poster said they had contacted Motorola and Google and neither knew what the heck this is but Motorola was going to bump the matter up to next level whatever that means. No One has been able to remove it and one poster said they were going to try to use a malware remover and would post back results.
If anyone has any helpful advice for this or any clue as to what this may do to our phones Please post right away.
Thanks.

doogald

Reaction score
Ok third time-sorry
I went into the rating for the "app" and one of the posters said it is a virus. Another poster said they had contacted Motorola and Google and neither knew what the heck this is but Motorola was going to bump the matter up to next level whatever that means. No One has been able to remove it and one poster said they were going to try to use a malware remover and would post back results.
If anyone has any helpful advice for this or any clue as to what this may do to our phones Please post right away.
Thanks.

I'm not sure that I believe it's a virus. The explanation is probably something like this curiously coincidental story:

Google Play bug installs Russian email app on some Samsung Android devices | The Verge

(and this is CB_pola's issue, likely...)

As for it showing up in Titanium, it may be (probably is) there - you just don't know what it's called. (The app name in the listing is blank, after all.)