Breaking News: Microsoft sues Motorola/Android over patent infringement

everstar80

Reaction score
Wow Darkseider tell us how you really feel. Seriously though you're right. Windows is garbage but Microsoft went to it's default setting, let us in or we will sue you? I wonder if this holds up how it might affect devices coming later this fall, will they be unable to be released with the lawsuit pending?

thatguychuck

Reaction score
This has to have something to do with the the updated motoblur and sync "enhancements" that come out recently.

diverbelow

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find the exact patents.

Do you mean these: alleged infringement of nine patents in their Android devices. Microsoft is calling to task processes for “synchronizing email, calendars and contacts, scheduling meetings, and notifying applications of changes in signal strength and battery power,”

diverbelow

Reaction score
And people wonder why I hate Microsoft and Apple? Well Apple for more reasons than their FUD slinging and pointless lawsuits. I have met Steve Jobs a few times personally and he is an arrogant, egostistical ass. Microsoft because they have NEVER made a product on their own. They have NEVER made a product worth owning. They have NEVER innovated only litigated. What they have made is a commercially available virus known as Windows and charge users a premium to use a broken, bug ridden, unstable security risk of an OS. Linux/BSD/Android are the only real worthwhile operating systems on the planet due to their open nature and ultimate usability, portability, stability and security.

Read somewhere, that M$ submits something like 100+ patent filings a day or month (can't remember) to the patent office.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
SCO has tried and lost against Linux , that fight was funded by Micro$oft.
Android is safe, but Motorola's UI maybe not .

Stretch2m

Reaction score
It is absurd that companies can patent an abstract process without detailing how to make that process work. I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy but why are these patents being granted? Patenting "synchronized email and calendars"? I can see getting a patent on specific technologies that do this task one way vs. another - and then suing if someone uses those specific technologies - but how can you patent any and all variations on "synchronized email and calendars"? That would be like me patenting "getting from your home to work," and then I can turn around and sue anyone who attempts to drive, ride, bike, or walk from home to work. (Exaggeration, but you see my point.) Patenting an abstract idea like "synchronizing email and calendars" is like suggesting that nobody would ever come up with that idea on their own, using their own ingenuity and technology. It makes me sick that these people are being granted patents for such general things when they haven't even made them viable yet.

Ubermicro13

Reaction score
And come to think of it just a few weeks ago Apple and Microsoft were picking on Android.

Oh how the tables have turned.

Omega_Droid

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find the exact patents.

For those wondering what patents are in the complaint to the ITC here they are:

5,579,517 Common name space for long and short filenames
5,758,352 Common name space for long and short filenames
6,621,746 Monitoring entropic conditions of a flash memory device as an indicator for invoking erasure operations
6,826,762 Radio interface layer in a cell phone with a set of APIs having a hardware-independent proxy layer and a hardware-specific driver layer
6,909,910 Method and system for managing changes to a contact database
7,644,376 Flexible architecture for notifying applications of state changes
5,664,133 Context sensitive menu system/menu behavior
6,578,054 Method and system for supporting off-line mode of operation and synchronization using resource state information
6,370,566 Generating meeting requests and group scheduling from a mobile device

source

Omega_Droid

Reaction score
Legend has it that Microsoft targets in this process is Android. As the company is officially launched on the eve of Windows 7 Phone, wants to use its patents and intellectual property to convince handset manufacturers to use the WP7. Although Android is free, certain features of it are susceptible to this type of process.

Pretty much. There was an article floating around the web this morning regarding Microsoft "bragging" about offering indemnification for phone manufactures who use WP7 (for a fee of course) and that using Android could land them on the other side of a lawsuit. Lawsuit from whom? Why from Microsoft of course! SOP for Microsoft. Hint or make vague legal threats about competitors and if that doesn't work sue them and those partnered with them.

mrksbrd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
mrksbrd
This is why I will NEVER by another Microcrap product ever again. They have a lot of nerve to sue over infringements, after all that's all they do. All the recent implements put into Winblows 7 have all come from the open source masterful wizards in the community that we have come to love.

SCUM BAGS

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, Microsoft is suing Motorola over functionality in an OS that comes from Google and is in no way, shape, or form specific to Motorola? Hell, makes PERFECT sense to me............ :rolleyes:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Legend has it that Microsoft targets in this process is Android. As the company is officially launched on the eve of Windows 7 Phone, wants to use its patents and intellectual property to convince handset manufacturers to use the WP7. Although Android is free, certain features of it are susceptible to this type of process.

Pretty much. There was an article floating around the web this morning regarding Microsoft "bragging" about offering indemnification for phone manufactures who use WP7 (for a fee of course) and that using Android could land them on the other side of a lawsuit. Lawsuit from whom? Why from Microsoft of course! SOP for Microsoft. Hint or make vague legal threats about competitors and if that doesn't work sue them and those partnered with them.

This reminded me of when MS attempted to sue Linux for the desktop OS some years ago. Saying almost the exact same thing back then.

It went no where then and it will go no where now....

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
So, Microsoft is suing Motorola over functionality in an OS that comes from Google and is in no way, shape, or form specific to Motorola? Hell, makes PERFECT sense to me............ :rolleyes:
I don't think people understand why Microsoft is going at Motorola, and I didnt fully (I knew most of it) till I did very much research and I think I will write an articles giving people all the information they need to know.

droid_mike

Reaction score
Microsoft is pickin' on the wrong dude! Motorola has so many patents on cell phone stuff, they will be on Microsoft's behind like a pair of fruit of the looms.

HTC chose to settle so they could get some help against apple. Motorola will probably countersue. I expect a doozy of a lawsuit from them.