Breaking News: Microsoft sues Motorola/Android over patent infringement

J

JohnDroid

microsoft-sues-motorola-android-patents.jpg

It looks like despite Microsoft releasing a new-from-the-ground-up Mobile Platform, they've already conceded that they will be unable to compete in the mobile space unless they threaten, bully and sue. And so they have.

Microsoft today announced and launched a patent infringement suit against Motorola (and thusly, Android) for patent infringements on it's Android line of phones. While Motorola is specifically named, make no mistake, this threatens the entire Android ecosystem much like Apple's suit against HTC.

You can read their justification at the Microsoft Technet Blog or you can view the full Press Release.

Your thoughts?

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I think thats a strong sign of weakness... or of a company that wants a piece of the action like many do.

OP
J

JohnDroid

I think thats a strong sign of weakness... or of a company that wants a piece of the action like many do.

I agree. Let your product stand on it's own merits, not that of lawsuits and fear mongering.

/sigh

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
BTW another thing worth noting is that HTC is already paying Microsoft for these things Motorola is getting sued for, so I guess its Microsoft asking for their money.

And I can say I would do the same... Its like making something, and watching someone else use it to make alot of money while others pay for it (HTC must also not be happy about it)... thats just un-american.

barski

Reaction score
+1

More like jealousy. Microsoft is used of being the top dog when it comes to OS's. Now there falling behind on something fairly new and explosive that will create huge revenue.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe this will make Motorola get rid of Blur faster....one can hope right? Is it cuz of Blur Moto is being sued?

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
+1

More like jealousy. Microsoft is used of being the top dog when it comes to OS's. Now there falling behind on something fairly new and explosive that will create huge revenue.
Well not directly.... If you don't remember. Motorola used to be partners with Microsoft. They worked with Phones and what not. They also had plans to develop Windows Phone 7 devices, but I guess after Droid's... Motorola is putting all their resources in one basket and will not be making WP7 devices, which has angered Microsoft and lead to this.

bronx finest

Reaction score
F*ck Microjunk & Crapple, honestly they're the sole reason they're doing so poorly.

Innovation & listening to their customers are at the bottom of their list, against churn, and slow advances in order to try and give the customer the least amount of features for the most amount of money.

Android represents competition, and the value added by the customers getting what they want in one package, regardless of manufacturer.

Darkseider

Reaction score
This is just Steve Ballicker getting pissed that he lost half of his yearly bonus because the Kin was a FLOP. So now he is filing a lawsuit to get some payola so he can get a new Bentley. The lawsuit is baseless and the claims are so broad it is ridiculous. Every smartphone manufacturer is guilty of infringing these patents. Apple, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Kyocera, hell even Google. I for once WISH that someone stood up to these fear mongering FUD slinging pricks at MS and have them put up or shut up and watch them slink into obscurity when the judge rules that the patents are either prior art, too broad or completely baseless.

OP
J

JohnDroid

I haven't been able to find the exact patents.

calcpereira

Reaction score
Legend has it that Microsoft targets in this process is Android. As the company is officially launched on the eve of Windows 7 Phone, wants to use its patents and intellectual property to convince handset manufacturers to use the WP7. Although Android is free, certain features of it are susceptible to this type of process.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1
That's how they got there, that's how they stayed there so long

wified from my Incredible monolith using Swype on Tapatalk

everstar80

Reaction score
Honestly, what else did we expect from Microsoft. They didn't get what they want so they are willing to destroy something they can't have. This has to mean that any new phones slated to come out soon will be halted as it may cause more problems. Microsoft saw that android is about to soar past all of the rest of the competition. Sad.

Darkseider

Reaction score
And people wonder why I hate Microsoft and Apple? Well Apple for more reasons than their FUD slinging and pointless lawsuits. I have met Steve Jobs a few times personally and he is an arrogant, egostistical ass. Microsoft because they have NEVER made a product on their own. They have NEVER made a product worth owning. They have NEVER innovated only litigated. What they have made is a commercially available virus known as Windows and charge users a premium to use a broken, bug ridden, unstable security risk of an OS. Linux/BSD/Android are the only real worthwhile operating systems on the planet due to their open nature and ultimate usability, portability, stability and security.