1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Did Google Screw Motorola And Everyone Over?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Oct 1, 2010.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

When I read the article we originally posted, I wanted to understand why we had come to this where Microsoft (who usually is the one that is getting sued) is suing Motorola (their previous partner).

I went everywhere reading articles about Android and companies that have been sued in its direction and have figured out that it seems Google might be at fault. It's sad for me to say this but Google really screwed their partners with some parts of Android, and Microsoft being their big old self owns a lot of software rights. These rights were read over by HTC and they began paying a price to Microsoft which actually kept them safe from Apple and their dumb patents that no one should respect.

Either way I put it, this comment left on Engadget cannot be better at summing up this whole thing so people might understand it a bit more.

With all this in mind, do you think Google screwed over Motorola in this case or do you still think Microsoft is just being petty? Do you understand why the open source choice was made by Google?
  2. cj100570

cj100570 New Member

It's more likely that these companies simply don't want to get caught up in never-ending litigation and find it easier to just pay for it to go away. If Microsoft really believes Android infringes on their patents they should sue Google. But we all know they won't because Google has pockets deep enough to vigorously defend itself. HTC and Motorola aren't small companies but they don't have Google money and they need to maintain good relations with Microsoft.
  3. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

Here is where Google is smart....
    Microsoft can't sue them. They are practically untouchable...
    Android is free and open sources, which means Google technically is not making money from it. Which makes them pretty much unsueable in this situation as far as I know. Now if Google made Android a paid service... Apple, Microsoft, Orecal, and everyone else could go at them randomly and recklessly.
  4. heem

heem New Member

Sorry.. but just because one company agrees to fall for overstepping patent abuse does NOT validate the patent. Not in court OR in logic.
  5. cj100570

cj100570 New Member

Giving it away for free doesnt absolve them of liability. Infringement can be proven simply by showing that Google knowingly and willingly included features that are valid patents held by another entity. Microsoft is simply aiming for the low man on the totem pole. I'd like to see them aim their lawyers at Samsung since obviously they must violating MS patents too. But somehow I'm betting that won't happen since Samsung is also as large as they are.
  6. heem

heem New Member

Key word is valid. Microsoft has been crying about their patents existing in Linux for years, but has yet to prove it.
  7. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

that sucks and htc backing the patents up hurt, but google was smart to leave themselves safe (big jerks).

the good news is that HTC (my favorite android phone producer (hardware and software wise)) is safe from these
  8. cj100570

cj100570 New Member

You hit the nail right on the head! Microsoft is full of (s)ugar (h)oney (i)ce (t)ea!
  9. dverplank

dverplank New Member

Some of these patents are rediculous. It is one thing when you have implemented an idea and have it work and be functional, but to draw it on paper with no idea how to make it work is BS. However, based on microsofts history, they have probably done their dudiligence and are in the right.
    I think google has done a lot to bring a quality OS to the table to create better products for everyone. Microsoft, Apple, and Google are all needed here. "The Big Three" lets work together people.
  10. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

can someone dumb this down a bit i dont understand at all
  11. heem

heem New Member

Believing that HTC purchasing a patent 'license' (extortion) meaning ANYTHING legally is akin to believing that if your grandmother sent money to a Nigerian scammer, then there must really be a Prince that needs your help exporting millions of dollars...
  12. Canadroid

Canadroid New Member

Is MS claiming that because Android OS can perform these functions at all it's infringement, or that the OS has it coded in such a manner that it's viewed as infringement?
  13. Pandemic187

Pandemic187 New Member

I can't imagine putting my own thoughts to better words. This guy said it perfectly.
  14. alquimista

alquimista New Member

15. Pandemic187

Pandemic187 New Member

Microsoft has decided to sue Motorola for the use mobile sync of things like Calendar and e-mail. Candroid's post lists the specific patents, but what I've mentioned is basically what it comes down to.

The idea of Motorola paying MS to include the GMail app in Android is so screwed up I can't even begin to get into it. All I can say is read my previous post.
  16. Breezer23

Breezer23 New Member

The patent office needs to pull it's head out. Some of the patents that are granted nowadays are absolutely bonkers. Not saying this is one of them but half the crap Apple patents is ridiculous.
  17. everstar80

everstar80 New Member

It sounds almost like the game monopoly. Like Motorola landed on park place which Microsoft owns with hotels and google is safe because they pull the cards that keep them getting richer. Seems like an adequate analogy.
  18. RETG

RETG Member

This will probably be settled in a month or less. Moto will agree to make a few phones for the WIN platform, sign a statement, offer some fees (which we will pay for in the long run) and move on.

Just imagine MOTO WINX and a R2M7 models hitting your local provider stores in a few months.dancedroid
  19. Fr8Hauler

Fr8Hauler New Member

Well

The law is the law. I'm sure that this has been in the works, however, It is odd that this comes to the forefront when Android begins taking market share. I know that they have created many tools and programs, that have accelerated the the industry, but maybe they should make theirs function properly before chasing patents.
  20. Druuseph

Druuseph New Member

This is where I see it going as well. No one is ever going to go to a courtroom with this because it would end the extortion fees that are given behind the scenes. In fact, Motorola holding out forces Microsoft into a position they don't want to be in even if they are in a position to win the case. Patent laws don't protect a damn thing, they are just used as a way to get backroom income from your competitors in a way that screws customers more than it does the other company.
Search tags for this page

easy root valid key