[Breaking] Intel's First Android Smartphone!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
intel_phone_x616.jpg

Intel may be late to the Android game but that will be quickly forgotten when their new handset shows off it's prowess. Propped up by the Medfield system-on-chip this handset looks very promising. The gentlemen over at Technology Review were lucky enough to get their hands on a couple of Medfield prototypes running Android (Gingerbread.)

The phone is described as the size of an iPhone but lighter due to less metal and more plastic and close to the thickness of an iPad2. The guys had this to say about the handset:

"The phone was powerful and pleasing to use, on a par with the latest iPhone and Android handsets. It could play Blu-Ray-quality video and stream it to a TV if desired; Web browsing was smooth and fast."

Before anyone gets too excited or not about the design of the handset, the picture above is what's known as a "reference design." Essentially these devices are designed to instruct and inspire manufacturers interested in building products around Intel's latest technology.

The question that is probably on everyone's mind is when can we expect to see these Android devices powered by the Medfield? According to Stephen Smith, VP of Intel's architecture group "We expect products based on these to be announced in the first half of 2012." With that said, CES may not be out of the question folks, but it's still wait and see.

Source: Technology Review, Gizmodo

Last edited by a moderator:

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I can't be the only one who thinks this thing looks like an iPhone...
I realize that it's just a "reference design", but they're going to have to switch some things up if they want to avoid a lawsuit.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I can't be the only one who thinks this thing looks like an iPhone...
I realize that it's just a "reference design", but they're going to have to switch some things up if they want to avoid a lawsuit.

+1 ... The first thought that came to my mind was that Apple was going to sue the crap out of this one too. I get that it's just a "reference design", sadly enough it resembles an iPhone, which now they're giving Apple power and putting it on a pedestal.

They should've gone ICS changed up the design so there were no hardware buttons at all, make it look even sleeker.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Ugh...why are manufacturers still including capacitive buttons. ICS is the future, and it's software includes menu buttons. Get in the now and replace the capacitive buttons with more screen space.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
If the Bionic and iPhone 4 had a baby it would look like that pre render.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That is one good lookin device. too bad it won't look anything like that once it comes out:D

nickb34

Reaction score
Meego is long gone, Nokia backed out on that months ago.

I believe the reference design is manufactured by Samsung, which could be the reason for the similarities to the iPhone. This device will never hit the market though so it doesn't matter.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That things pretty but yea have to agree apple will be all over this thing

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Absolutely looks like an iPhone 4. I would be greatly surprised if they aren't sued by apple.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the Bionic and iPhone 4 had a baby it would look like that pre render.

"The phone was powerful and pleasing to use, on a par with the latest iPhone and Android handsets. It could play Blu-Ray-quality video and stream it to a TV if desired; Web browsing was smooth and fast."

They said it first.