TAG Heuer, Intel and Google Teaming Up to Make First 'Luxury' Android Wear Smartwatch

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 19, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It looks like the launch of the Apple Watch made several different industries stand up and take notice. While Samsung, Motorola, LG and others have been busily making smartwatches, none of the big named Swiss watch makers have really paid much attention. That is, until now.

TAG Heuer, one of the most well-known watch companies out of Switzerland, just announced a new partnership with Intel and Google to make the industry's first "luxury" Android Wear-based smartwatch. Jean-Claude Biver, head of watches for the luxury group LVMH, which is TAG Heuer's parent company, revealed that they wanted to team up with Google because Google doesn't produce its own watch, but instead just makes Android Wear available.

Here's a quote from Biver,
    [​IMG]
    The above image is the TAG Heuer Formula and is simply an example of one of their designs. It is not necessarily indicative of any Android Wear watch design.

Sadly, they didn't share any technical details, nor pricing, nor a timeframe for launch. Here's another quote from the Intel press release with a few more details regarding the partnership,

Source: Intel

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    For my money, AW is already at a decent price. Not SUPER outrageous like the fruit watch, but not so cheap that it makes you feel like you're buying junk. I'll be interested to see price points.

However, even if they come out asking for more than my budget will ever allow, at least AW is getting some deserved recognition from companies who're already established as serious names in the Watch-making world. This bodes well for AW as a real concept instead of the polished beta that it feels like it has been so far.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,060
    Finally somebody who knows a bit about watches. Bet apple is fishing for their own Swiss name to partner with.

4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +772
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    Sorry, its still going to be outdated in no time no matter what material its surrounded by. Luxary watches are luxary because they are gorgeous and tend to work for a very very long time without hassle. A smart watch....I don't see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I'll take that luxury watch over a smart watch any day of the week. Tag has some of the best watches I've ever seen. Are they accepting kidneys?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +678
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    I have to agree, I see this as more of a negative than anything. What makes a luxury regular watch is the craftsmanship and the fine internals. Anyone can get the same motherboards/chips/etc for smart watches, it does not translate.

It will just be an excuse to charge more for a watch that will be outdated in 6 months.

7. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Wow.. Couldn't let apple look a fool all by themselves, huh?

8. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +594
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Hear me now... Believe me later.

Tag and other makers will make high quality, watertight, branded chassis and watchbands. The guts will be updatable and removable. Ultimately I see a kind of universal internal puck with the CPU, battery, and screen. You will be able to swap out the chassis depending on the look or activity you want. Heavy duty sport, bling, casual fun, it'll all be available at different price points. There be money in them thar hills.

That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,034
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    I guess that's a possibility, tho an expensive one. Today's energy efficient chips have enough horsepower for these watches to do what they do. The issue is the battery. If a smart luxury watchmaker can figure out how to use those self winding mechanisms to charge the batter, they have a winner.

10. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +772
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    That would be insanely hard to do unless you build very large housings. We have no idea what the future holds. Internals may get larger because of specific features. Maybe every watch gets a radio and that needs 2mm more height in the housing. They have to account for that and need to make sure they stay within their own preset dimensions. The shape, battery, everything has to fit in a size they decided would work 5 years before but now just doesn't work. If they do it, they'll have to stick with a very basic design for the actual electronics and cut features IMO.

11. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +914
    what about some kind of... smart watch that can be upgraded... allow for something like Phonebloks or Google Aria with a replaceable SOC card in the bottom... then the watch lasts.