BREAKING Droid RAZR M, RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD Bootloader Unlock Is Here!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
x2_113be155

It all began with a little tweet this morning. "Drip, Drip, Drip..." was tweeted out by @P3Droid today around 8 AM. This had my interest peaked. At first I assumed it was just an OTA upgrade leak. So I asked, and was informed that something much bigger than an update leak was coming. After a bit of discussion P3 let me in on what was going on. Well known exploiter Dan Rosenburg aka @DjrBliss was getting ready to release a full fledged bootloader unlock method!

The bootloader unlock method is a "one click" executable script that will do all of the hard work for you! We all love our one clicks. This will work on the Razr M, Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD, and Atrix HD. This will not work on OMAP devices like the OG Razr or Bionic. Some testers over at Droidrzr.com have tested the exploit and each ended up with an unlocked bootloader. Apparently you will need to be on 4.1.1 or it will work if you are 4.1.2 and rooted. It may work on 4.1.2 unrooted once everything is finalized but they are warning against taking that update. It looks like the day has finally arrived! The method should be released as early as today. Follow @DjrBliss on twitter for more info.

Via DroidRzr.com

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
Way to go Dan, I never thought I'd see the consumer edition razrs get an unlocked bootloader this is great news. Now w just need full source, any of you moto ppl listening of there?

End of Line

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
"...This will not work on OMAP devices like the OG Razr or Bionic."

FML, of course not.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
And a few weeks ago I said I was gonna stop using ROMs and leaks for Motorola phones, too much of a hassle for me to get OTAs. Now this...

This is huge.

GigaJake

Reaction score
This doesn't apply to my Droid 4 but I'm psyched anyways. Take that Motorola! Who needs your overpriced "developer editions" now?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
This doesn't apply to my Droid 4 but I'm psyched anyways. Take that Motorola! Who needs your overpriced "developer editions" now?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Too bad I already got my razr hd dev edition last week... Otherwise I'd have happily gotten a used maxx hd from eBay or swappa :what:
Oh well :eek:

End of Line

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if we are on the latest OTA(4.1.2) and it is not rooted, we are out of luck?

That's the problem with this phone, by the time they find an exploit, most people have taken OTA's and updates already. Hopefully they get it working. I have never been able to root my phone, because the one I purchased already had whatever updates and bootloader installed that were not able to be rooted.

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
At this point according to the article at droidrazr.com pretty much, it says not to take the update yet if not rooted cut root itself is needed... :/

End of Line

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So if we are on the latest OTA(4.1.2) and it is not rooted, we are out of luck?

That's the problem with this phone, by the time they find an exploit, most people have taken OTA's and updates already. Hopefully they get it working. I have never been able to root my phone, because the one I purchased already had whatever updates and bootloader installed that were not able to be rooted.

Mattlgroff posted a video of his phone an Atrix HD that was running 4.1.2, however the post on droidrzr.com specifically states no 4.1.2 on the RAZR HD. Matt's Atrix was more than likely 4.1.2 rooted which the post says will be ok. I would stay away from the update until after the bootloader unlock. If you already have it Dan might get it working for you.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
At this point according to the article at droidrazr.com pretty much, it says not to take the update yet if not rooted cut root itself is needed... :/

End of Line

Yeah, but saying "don't take the update" 3 weeks after everyone took the update, doesn't help me much. LOL

We all jump on updates as fast as they come out, and once taken, most of them cannot be rolled back, and that is the issue with Moto phones. By the time an exploit is found, a huge portion of the customer base is already on newer code that won't work with the exploit.

Oh well, hopefully they can hack this one too. It has been disappointing to have such a cool phone, but no way to install a ROM to it...

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but saying "don't take the update" 3 weeks after everyone took the update, doesn't help me much. LOL

We all jump on updates as fast as they come out, and once taken, most of them cannot be rolled back, and that is the issue with Moto phones. By the time an exploit is found, a huge portion of the customer base is already on newer code that won't work with the exploit.

Oh well, hopefully they can hack this one too. It has been disappointing to have such a cool phone, but no way to install a ROM to it...

Technically SafeStrap is an excellent way to install roms.

chucklehead

Reaction score
Safestrap has been working great on my MAXX HD.

I haven't taken the update as I've been running a few different ROMs using Safestrap. I try to avoid jumping on an update as soon as it's released as I prefer to stick with the ROM that's been working best for my phone. Eventually a ROM will be released which contains the update anyways.

Having the Moto bootloader unlocked is the most exciting android news I've heard in ages and hopefully it means the dev community will be coming out with some some great stuff soon!!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah, but again, my phone is not rooted, and I don't want to have multiple ROMs installed, taking up space, etc... It is sorta like having a PC and having to dual or triple boot Windows, Linux, OSX etc... I may try it though, just to see it, but an unlocked bootloader would be much better.

chucklehead

Reaction score
I don't believe you'll even be able to unlock the bootloader without being rooted.