HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Boxee Looking to Develop Android App for Google TV

ico-time.png
26. May, 2010 written by Ray Walters / androidguys.com
ico-comment.png
0 Comments
As an avid user and supporter of Boxee for my HTPC needs, the announcement of Google TV left me wondering how I was going to be able to combine both the best interface for an HTPC hands down with my beloved Android platform. The guys over at Boxee are WAY ahead of me it turns out!
A blogger over at the Candler Blog had an email conversation with Andrew Kippen of Boxee, asking him what he thought about the announcement of Google TV, and the implications it might have for Boxee. The following is Andrew’s response taken from said article:
We obviously followed the [GoogleTV] announcement and the demo. We think that it would be great to see an open OS such as Android gain market share in the living room. It would enable users to download Boxee on their TV (we will be building an Android-based App) and start using it without the hassle of connecting their computer to the TV.
We have somewhat of a different view of browsing the web on TV. While it was a big part of the Google Demo we believe browsing the web as-is makes more sense on laptops and mobile devices (due to their personal nature, the screen size and the input device) than it does on TV. We look forward to playing with the TV and working with them to bringing Boxee to Android devices.
You read correctly. if there’s a TV platform running on TVs that can deliver a great Boxee experience then we want to be there. Thatmeanswe’relookingatdevelopinganAndroidAppversionofBoxeefortheupcomingGoogleTV. [emphasis added]
I wanted to make sure I read that correctly. I’ve heard they are working on an Android remote app similar to the one they have on the iPhone, but this sounds like something different:
You read correctly. if there’s a TV platform running on TVs that can deliver a great Boxee experience then we want to be there. Thatmeanswe’relookingatdevelopinganAndroidAppversionofBoxeefortheupcomingGoogleTV. [emphasis added]
It will be interesting to see what this Boxee app is going to look like. It sounds like Boxee is going to leverage the Sony TV’s that are going to have Android built into them so people can run thier Boxee app without any computer necessary. This would be a major step forward for Boxee, and sounds like an incredible idea to capitalize on all the risk that Google is taking with Google TV, at no risk to themselves.
I am getting more and more excited about Google TV, especially as I see useful, practical applications being thought about. Stay tuned for more details as they come out.

Boxee Looking to Develop Android App for Google TV | Androidheadlines.com