Google Basically Dropped Google TV

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 6, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It looks like Google TV is pretty much "dead" as a development platform now. Google just announced that most of their Google TV devices will not be compatible with Android TV and will not be getting the OS at all. While there are a few that might get it, Android TV seems out of reach for most of them. Here's their statement,

Of course, for many proud owners of Google TV, the fact that it won't receive Android TV may not matter much to you. The device will still do what it was designed to do and can run current apps that already worked on it. Even with this official statement from Google detailing their intention to no longer support Google TV, that won't make the device suddenly stop working.

Enjoy it while you can... the future belongs to Android TV now though. Perhaps they can "wow" us with impressive new Android TV devices...

Source: Google TV on Google+

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Eh...I have 2 and haven't really used one since I moved the last time. I have one hooked up on my second HDMI input, but since the xbox one allows hdmi passthrough for my TV, I never switch inputs.

3. jtpowell

jtpowell Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Sadly this has been a long time coming. Apps like Crackle abandoned and constant warnings from Google's own Play services have already started happening.

• Like Like x 1