Bootloader.....

Reaction score
So, why should we be so excited about ICS if Moto doesn't unlock the bootloaders? I came from the Nexus and I loved the unlocked bootloader. I hated the reception. ICS for the RAZR will be loaded with Big Red's crapware. We won't get the pure ICS experience until (and if) they unlock our BL.....

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Easy - because ICS with bloatware is better than Gingerbread with bloatware...

OP
MyEntityRemains
Reaction score
Easy - because ICS with bloatware is better than Gingerbread with bloatware...

You know this how? All updates end up fixing bugs, but breaking other things. My RAZR is absolutely flawless. I know this won't be the case after the ICS update. I guarantee that after ICS arrives, people on here will be whining for a maintenance update to fix their phone. I had a Nexus, and it was buggy as hell. CDMA are the last to get updates. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am perfecty happy with my phone now. Unlock my bootloader and I'm good to go.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The locked bootloader is the exact reason why we should be excited for ICS. It's the only way we are going to be able to get ourselves on a Linux 3.x kernel. If we had an unlocked bootloader, it wouldn't be such a big deal because most of us would simply be running an up-to-date ICS ROM already (with the correct kernel).

You do bring up a valid point, though; that an entirely new OS will bring with it a whole new set of bugs and issues. In this way, it could be a "be careful what you wish for" type situation. But the fact is, we need to get on ICS before developers start writing apps that will only work on 4.0+

OP
MyEntityRemains
Reaction score
The locked bootloader is the exact reason why we should be excited for ICS. It's the only way we are going to be able to get ourselves on a Linux 3.x kernel. If we had an unlocked bootloader, it wouldn't be such a big deal because most of us would simply be running an up-to-date ICS ROM already (with the correct kernel).

You do bring up a valid point, though; that an entirely new OS will bring with it a whole new set of bugs and issues. In this way, it could be a "be careful what you wish for" type situation. But the fact is, we need to get on ICS before developers start writing apps that will only work on 4.0+

I totally agree. I would rather have the unlocked bootloader at this point. Give me ICS when the bugs have been worked out.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Best case would be having a way back to GB so you can try ICS to see if you have any issues. I flashed a GB leak on my DroidX and never went back to Froyo because I loved it and had no bugs!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You know this how? All updates end up fixing bugs, but breaking other things. My RAZR is absolutely flawless. I know this won't be the case after the ICS update. I guarantee that after ICS arrives, people on here will be whining for a maintenance update to fix their phone. I had a Nexus, and it was buggy as hell. CDMA are the last to get updates. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am perfecty happy with my phone now. Unlock my bootloader and I'm good to go.

I know this based upon the several ICS leaks that have made their rounds over the past few weeks. The leaks have become increasingly stable, improving with each version.

There will always be bugs and issues, and you'll always have people complaint about them (even though many tend to be user-created). It's just like we'll always have people complaining about the bootloader.

I agree that the current Gingerbread version on the RAZR/MAXX is nearly flawless. It's the most stable Android phone I've ever had. I had the Galaxy Nexus for a couple months as well, and I agree with the bugginess. But I'll put up with what I expect to be relatively minor bugs in the RAZR release (based off experiences with the leaks) for the added functionality of ICS.