To buy or not to buy the Razr

dafuq

Reaction score
First off, hello to everyone!

I am considering buying the Motorola Razr and I want you thoughts and opinions about the phone. I have previously owned: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000), ZTE Blade and HTC Desire Z. All of them had horrible built quality so I am looking for a decent phone with high built quality. Unfortunatley I was browsing through the web and found this thread Motorola RAZR screen issues w/ pic - xda-developers and I couldn't help but reconsidering my choice. Is that true? How many people have problem with the screen? A common problem? Let me first of all tell you that I own a Motorola Xoom - awesome tablet, running ICS rom (ofc unlocked bootloader) i've heard that the Razr do not have unlocked bootloader (but I also heard rumours that the EU version does indeed have unlocked bootloader, can anyone clarify this?)

And I just read this Motorola VP Says Hardware Is The Reason For Android 4.0 Upgrade Delay To Its Devices | TalkAndroid.com

And it doesn't look good, not at all :( I thought and hoped that ICS would be out due to this month but it doesn't seem like it.

So what is YOUR thoughts about this phone? Pros and cons. They have a special offer here where I live for 475€ (633$) without contract. Is that price justified for this phone?

Please shed some light!

Yours Sincerely,

dafuq.

aktrazer

Reaction score
I love this phone. Its sized perfectly. I have not had any screen issues. I've dropped it on concrete from about 9 feet up and only got a slight knick... I,personally, will be keeping this phone for a long time.

I've rooted and flashed it ~3 times. Its software is incredible and the hardware is excellent.

This is all my opinion, of course. Some may not like the phone, but I love it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Cor3yS

Reaction score
Me and u both bro I want razr maxx or nexus but just keep putting it off. Nexus has pros: ics and big screen cons:rumored for ****ty buid quality and razr pros: has an almost as big screen, probably great build quality( I've dropped my droid about 30 times) cons: no date on ics port.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
i havent read up on these screen topics.. I see no issue with my screen. however i have the maxx maybe the issue was addressed on this phone?

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
You should get i recommend it highly, my friend is really clumsy and he has dropped it literally over 100 times no scratch its impressive. -AqworldThunder

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using DroidForums

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
But this is a big decision you shouldn't base it on a few people's general opinion you should research things like rooting and contracts.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First off, hello to everyone!

I am considering buying the Motorola Razr and I want you thoughts and opinions about the phone. I have previously owned: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000), ZTE Blade and HTC Desire Z. All of them had horrible built quality so I am looking for a decent phone with high built quality. Unfortunatley I was browsing through the web and found this thread Motorola RAZR screen issues w/ pic - xda-developers and I couldn't help but reconsidering my choice. Is that true? How many people have problem with the screen? A common problem? dafuq.

The screen "issues" are completely blown out of proportion. The Green cast is very mild and after using the phone for even just a couple days you don't see it anymore. The issue of blotches is an artifact of the manufacturing process of the Super AMOLED displays and apparently is both unavoidable and will be different on every display made. Does it affect day to day use? Well, that is also subjective based on OP versus others. I never see it unless I am looking at a screen with nothing on it. You then have to question...why look at a screen with nothing on it? And after answering that question, ask how much worse your user experience is with a blank screen that has blotches on it versus a blank screen with no abberations? :blink:

The Pentile display looking pixelated is again overrated for all except perhaps either the pre-pubescent or immediately post-pubescent and those other fortunate few older folks who have the eyesight of said teens and who are looking at it from a distance that makes the screen look like a 105" Plazma TV (read "too close"). I looked at the screen of the RAZR against the Rezound (which is arguably the best and is the highest resolution), and frankly the difference was hard to see. In the real world, this screen blows away anything I've had before and likely easily tops your desktop monitor on a PPI basis and sharpness, so these opinions when taken on an individual basis may be somewhat accurate but I believe are exceedingly embellished and irresponsible on the part of those who wrote about them.

By the way, did you even read the thread and see all those on there who are completely dissing the OP?

OP
D

dafuq

Reaction score
But this is a big decision you shouldn't base it on a few people's general opinion you should research things like rooting and contracts.

Hello

I am asking here because I want to here opinions from people who actually is using the phone. I've already looked up YT-reviews, prices etc :biggrin:

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Well the decision is your's of course but my friends it super fast easy to foot/unroot impossible to break i highly recommend you get it

OP
D

dafuq

Reaction score
Is 633$ good price? (Europe, unlocked without contract)

aktrazer

Reaction score
OK. If you have any questions about the toughness of the phone, I just slammed it in my car door....twice. its a 93 Explorer with steel doors. The screen protector prevented the screen from getting scratched, but the phone held up with no cracks or dings! Not kidding this was 10 mins ago!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
What carrier to plan on using this on? Because I don't think the Europe version will work on Verizon. It looks like your in europe though based on the previous phones you have had.

The decision is really all up to you. Do you like to root and put roms on your phone? If you do the Nexus really is the better choice for that. The build quality really isn't that bad. Its a lot better then previous samsung phones.

If you want the best build quality then the RAZR is the best for that.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK. If you have any questions about the toughness of the phone, I just slammed it in my car door....twice. its a 93 Explorer with steel doors. The screen protector prevented the screen from getting scratched, but the phone held up with no cracks or dings! Not kidding this was 10 mins ago!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

:blink: Now why would you go and do a thing like that?!

:rofl3:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Sent from my DROID RAZR

And five minutes later, he used it to beat down a door, and then he parked the explorer on top of it...

Seriously though, are you trying to destroy it?? Lol wow.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

OP
D

dafuq

Reaction score
What carrier to plan on using this on? Because I don't think the Europe version will work on Verizon. It looks like your in europe though based on the previous phones you have had.

The decision is really all up to you. Do you like to root and put roms on your phone? If you do the Nexus really is the better choice for that. The build quality really isn't that bad. Its a lot better then previous samsung phones.

If you want the best build quality then the RAZR is the best for that.

Tele2, an swedish carrier. anyway the phone is sold unlocked