Boot loop and won't charge (wall of text alert!)

miggity77

Reaction score
This is a good one. Hope you guys all have your thinking caps on! :)

Here's the whole story so everyone knows what went down:

A couple of months ago I had a few issues trying to go from Liberty 2.0 to Liberty GB. Attempted to sbf back to froyo and continuously got the "phone did not reenumerate" and flashing always failed. I ended up being able to restore to stock rom and flashing froyo via black hat's 2 step process with success and got Liberty GB installed.

Enter this morning. Upon reading there was a CM7 available, I immediately downloaded and read up on the instructions for installation. Rather than attempting to do so without rolling back to froyo, I tried to use black hat's method to get myself to froyo .340 (given that sbf still won't succeed). Part 1 would install, but part 2 would produce an error. I attempted to restore back to my stock restore point and that would end in an error also. I restored again, but this time back to Liberty .09 so my phone would work while I copied files. I got back in to recovery and wiped data and cache and tried to load the CM7 zip. It also failed. Next came the boot loop.

Last time I had some problems getting a ROM to load and I was stuck at a boot screen, I was informed to let the phone die and plug it up, wait for a while then I could get to bootstrap recovery. That time it did the trick. This time, no dice. I tried it again, but this seems to have thrown a wrench into things.

Here's what I can do:
- Power up into bootloader. I can't do anything in bootloader. it says "battery low" and won't allow me to do anything. Phone has been charging most of the day since I let it die, but it won't charge.
- Boot into factory recovery. I've tried to load .zips from here, but they won't authorize so this proves to be a waste.

I've let the phone stay plugged into the wall charger while in bootloader, factory recovery, and doing the boot loop but I still can't get it to charge enough for bootloader to allow flashing... this is all assuming I can get sbf to actually work.

My plan is to call a buddy with a DX that has a charged battery and see if putting his battery in my now bricked phone will allow me to attempt an sbf back to froyo. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated!!

Reaction score
That's what you're gonna have to do. The Droid X won't charge unless it can load the kernel (for some stupid reason) and your phone's not loading the kernel. You'll have to borrow your buddy's battery and SBF.

OP
M

miggity77

Reaction score
That's what you're gonna have to do. The Droid X won't charge unless it can load the kernel (for some stupid reason) and your phone's not loading the kernel. You'll have to borrow your buddy's battery and SBF.

This is exactly what I had to do. I also had to use a different PC to sbf, but CM7 is successfully installed. Another learning experience, but I am now fluent in sbf and can rock a battery pull/reinsert while holding the buttons to get into bootloader while drinking a beer and making a sandwich with one hand. :)

wseyller

Reaction score
If my original droid battery gets below a certain level it will boot loop. During each boot the charge light will light up for a portion of the time. Eventually it will charge enough to stop the boot loop. I rarley let it get that far so I don't have to do that much. This happened when I first got the phone and I thought it was the new aftermarket battery I bought. I then got an oem battery but it does the same.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
I had same issues once

Now I have an external charger just in case. was very cheap and well worth since the dx is very picky on battery level when flashing roms.

igot25onit

Reaction score
I know how u feel man, i had the same problem way back with my droid x. Battery died during sbf and it wont charge. Just buy a external charger at radio shack for $ 20.

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
got mine off ebay

was 10$ with battery, and back cover for the larger battery. I kept the larger battery and charger for just in case issues
I hate using the fat back cover cause I cant dock my X with it on

FernBch

Reaction score
Another tip for you. If you have SBF issues there's a bootable linux cd out with all the files and scripts to get you back to Froyo. It's great and you don't have any of those windows/rsd issues to worry about.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
nice tip but

WIth battery too low it will still do the samething :)

I tried that method too before buying battery