Boot Animation with Sound Help, Please

5sm

Reaction score
The overall goal is to try to make my Droid 2 appear like an R2D2 Droid, I'm using adb shell on Ubuntu with a rooted phone.

So far I've managed to successfully install SDK, eclipse, root my phone, mount the /system folder and chmod it. I got a lot of the information from this forum. I've added the R2D2 boot animation, the wallpapers, 1 live wallpaper, and 1 of the ring tones for a test. I've been copying the files from my computer to my phone.

Everything is working so far except I can't seem to get the boot animation sound to work. I can access the file with Linda File manager and it will will play so I believe the file itself works. I have placed it in both /data/local and /system/media. The desc.txt files says the sound file should be in /data/local so I thought moving it there would work.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the boot animation works fine but the d2_r2d2_pu.ogg file won't play when it is supposed to?

It might be easier to pay the difference and just get an R2D2 phone. =)

Thanks,
5SM

gunz.jones

Reaction score
I just replaced the bootanimation.bin from 2.4.5/2.4.0 in the system/bin folder and it worked. Worked with all the roms I have tried and stock, no issues or other problems.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP

5sm

Reaction score
Is that an older version of the bootanimatiom.bin? I guess I can just google that and replace the current file.

5SM

gunz.jones

Reaction score
It is the version on the r2d2 which I don't believe has been updated. I had to d/l the whole rom to get it. Posted at xda if you can't find it seperate.

OP

5sm

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look for it and see what I can find. Taking a break for tonight.

OP

5sm

Reaction score
I found the R2D2 rom and took out the bootanimation.bin file. However, no boot animation appeared with it. Just went from the M for a while and went to my lock screen. I think the main problem is that the rom isn't the same one any more. It didn't have the right bootanimation.zip in it. It had the default droid animation. I need some other way to get the boot animation sound to work with the boot animation.

On the bright side I did add all the ring tones/notifications, wallpapers, lock screen and the R2D2 clock widget.

Thanks,
5SM

UPdate:
I found another bootanimation.bin file on these forums. I'll give it a try when I get home. I've been using the adb shell to push the files instead of something like root explorer on the droid 2. Would that make a difference? It's really not a big deal to not have sound except I want to make another boot animation later with sound in it. The whole R2D2 theme is cool but I think I'm going to get tired of hearing him.

5SM

OP

5sm

Reaction score
I got it tonight.

I used ADB Shell to pull my original bootanimation to my droid file on my desktop.

adb pull /system/bin/bootanimation /desired destination

I then pushed the me file to my sdcard.

adb push /location of file /sdcard

Next I removed the old bootanomation file while in the adb shell.

rm /system/bin/bootanimation

Finally, I copied the file to the system/bin folder while in the adb shell.

cp /sdcard/bootanimation /system/bin

Those steps may not have been necessary but that was the only way I could seem to get the file to move correctly.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

5SM