Bluetooth Range

luvdldy

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the bluetooth range suck on the Droid. I came from the Palm platform and used to complain about their bluetooth stack, but I think this one is worse! Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some toggle I can make it better with?

I am using the same two headsets I used with my old Palm Treos and they are both 2.0.

Thanks in advance.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't experienced that. I can be 20+ feet away from my phone and my BT headset still works great. Which headsets are you using?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use it (Droid) with Jawbone, Jabra, Samsung and LG headsets and on all of them I get far better range with the Droid than I have with any other phone. The Jabra especially, I've gotten well over the 35' rating with no problems.

seang

Reaction score
i have a Parrot bluetooth 9100 mounted in my car. today i was getting my car inspected, and was talking on the phone. the guy came driving by, in my car finishing up, and the bluetooth connected, and the car stole my call... at least 20 feet away.

cuskit

Reaction score
Using the MotoS305's I'm able to use mine easily in my shop - 45' x 100'+. Leaving the Droid in the middle of the shop I can walk anywhere, including out the front door. I'm getting up to 60' minimum with no problems. 305's ROCK!!! :) mikey

OP
L

luvdldy

Reaction score
I am using the Plantronics 640 and 655...

Neither of them are giving me great range. Is there something I need to toggle after pairing?

TrueFangz

Reaction score
I have a Plantronics BT which is about 2-3 years old. It worked great with my Moto Razr, and Samsung SHI760. I could go probably 50-60 feet away with absolutely no problems.

The same BT headset with the Droid sucks. If I have the BT in my left ear, and the phone in my left pants pocket, I get soooo much static. I pretty much have to put the phone in my shirt pocket if I have one, if not, I have to hold the phone up to my chest. Kinda defeats the "Hands Free" motive.

cuskit

Reaction score
I have a Plantronics BT which is about 2-3 years old. It worked great with my Moto Razr, and Samsung SHI760. I could go probably 50-60 feet away with absolutely no problems.

The same BT headset with the Droid sucks. If I have the BT in my left ear, and the phone in my left pants pocket, I get soooo much static. I pretty much have to put the phone in my shirt pocket if I have one, if not, I have to hold the phone up to my chest. Kinda defeats the "Hands Free" motive.
I have an original Motorola Bluetooth "earpiece" that works the same as you describe. Had to keep my phone (Razr) in my shirt pocket.

Droid blows this away. The same earpiece works up to maybe 12'-15' before breaking up. But the Moto305s Stereo earphones are totally WOOT! 65' or more with NO issues whatsover! So, obviously there is a big difference in an earpiece and earphones. Both are fine with me - the earpiece I only use for phone conversations, keeping my Droid on a belt clip has perfect reception for this. But mostly I'm using the BT 305's - for phone AND music. Can't say much about Plantronics as I haven't used them, though they do have a decent rep. :) mike

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
I have a Moto bluetooth car kit in my Saab and it will pair with my phone inside the house when I start the car to warm it up. It is easily 40 to 50 feet away from the car when it pairs.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that it seems like my TB does not have the range that my OG D had. With my Droid I was able to move around all over the office I work in. I work in an open floor plan office at a cube, and not have any issues unless I went into a room with a door. But now with my TB if I go about 20 yards it starts cutting out. I never had this happen till now. Anyone know if there is a way to hack it to make it transmit farther?

mark3748

Reaction score
Depends on the device youre paired with. Do you know what the class is? Sounds like you may be using a class 2 device based on the range.

The TB should be capable of ~100 meter range, but your headset needs to be class 1

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

swanjame

Reaction score
Thunderbolt Bluetooth Performance

i have found that the Thunderbolt Bluetooth is Class 2 which means that you can expect 10m+, which is what you are getting. To get Class 1 range of 100m+ you would need two paired Class 1 devices.

Jim