Bluetooth Disconneting

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Hey All!
Hope everyone is doing well. I've missed being here, but am so busy these days, I rarely get to visit.
Over the past week or so, my bluetooth is disconnecting from my watch and car -- not using any other bluetooth connections, so don't know if anything else is affected. I'm thinking there must be a security setting that got switched -- some how, but not sure where to find it -- I've checked everything I can think of and all seems on par.
When I get up in the morning, I need to reboot my phone so it'll connect to my watch which sits on the charger over night. Restarting the watch does not do the trick.
Several times I've gotten into my car (Nissan Rogue) and my phone doesn't connect to my car as it should. I have to go into Nissan's app and a pop-up comes on saying an app is requesting permission to connect to bluetooth. This doesn't just happen first thing in the morning, I may be get in my car throughout the day and find it's been "turned off" and need to grant permission to connect. It's sporadic, so really hard to figure out.
My phone has been running seamlessly for quite awhile, so I haven't been tweaking with it much, at all. The only thing I did recently is change my display setting back to Adaptive brightness and turned Color mode back to Vibrant (which, for some reason, seems to have helped my battery drain)
Of course, after my rogue CVS app that messed with my WiFi a couple of years ago, I'm wondering if an app is messing with me, but am really hoping there's a simple no-brainer answer I haven't thought of.
Thoughts?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good morning. Have you received AW 2.0 on your watch yet (if you are still wearing one)? That has caused some issues with BT connectivity for some Moto 360 watch owners. One thing I can think of to check is Settings > Location > 3 dot menu > Scanning > turn Bluetooth scanning to Off if the slider is currently On. I always turn that off and rarely have Bluetooth issues.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thanks, Sajo! I figured you'd come to the rescue with some sound advice!
Yes, my watch is still being worn and is running the 2.0 so that may explain that issue.
I've gone into my settings and turned off the BT scan. I'll see what happens over the next couple of days with the car and report back -- unless the issue shows up sooner.
Thanks bunches!

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Okay. A few days into turning off Bluetooth scanning & my car, app, and phone still aren't finding each other consistently. I can't find a consistent. It's not from rebooting my phone. Not every morning, nor after work. Seems it can happen after a quick trip into the grocery or over night. Very weird & frustrating... On occasion, I have to shut the car off & reboot the phone. Other times I just have to grant the app permission to connect to Bluetooth.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well that's definitely a bummer, I can imagine the frustration. I'm not sure what else to offer right at the moment. Fortunately both of our Z phones have had no Bluetooth issues at all, but others have reported similar things on other forums.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I don't think it's necessarily the Bluetooth, but maybe the app??? Life would be easier if it were a consistent problem I could easily troubleshoot. Of course, I'm typically in a hurry to go somewhere when I get into my car, so that doesn't help either taking time to figure it out.
The watch healed itself with another update the other night. Two separate problems...

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hmm, I'll say my BT shuts off on its own sometimes as well. Pretty much every time I restart my phone, and then like you there will be times I get into my car and it doesn't auto connect like normal. BT is off and I have no idea why, even when I used it only a few hours prior and hardly touched it inbetween....but not every time, it's so odd.

Question, do you change the volume on your phone often? Or turn the Do Not Disturb on/off at all?

I initially suspected a rogue app as well...but I've done an FDR and added almost no apps except basic essentials and it still happened. Along with the known issue of the occasional BT choppiness I think this phone just has a weaker BT receiver, or how it's arranged under the hood and other parts of the phone interfere with it...I dunno but I've pretty much given up on my BT, I'll deal with it for another year till I upgrade again...

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I rarely mess with the volume on the phone & hardly ever activate the do not disturb. I never had problems with the bt until a few weeks ago. Everything worked perfectly until it didn't lol. Don't think it's hardware. I'm guessing it's a software problem somewhere.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I thought it was software related for months and so I've tried everything short of returning the phone (hence me asking about the volume since I do change it often), I've had other issues so it's possible my phone specifically is defective but for me it has to either be hardware related or some extremely random stock software automatic setting that I can't find anywhere lol, some kind of auto power-saving toggle or something I have no idea but I can't get it to stop! Happens maybe 2 or 3x a week for me...

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
a while back I had problems connecting my phone via bluetooth to a home theater after it was working for months. I deleted the cache in the system cache partition and it fixed it. I guess there was some lingering files that affected bluetooth after an update. Might want to give it a try. the following are the steps

1. powering off the device
2. press the VOLUME UP + HOME + POWER buttons all the same time and HOLD THEM DOWN
3. release only the POWER button when the device vibrates
4. release the other buttons when the ANDROID SYSTEM RECOVERY screen appears
5. using the VOLUME DOWN / UP buttons to navigate, select WIPE CACHE PARTITION
6. press the POWER button, which will act the ENTER key on your keyboard

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The steps to clear the cache partition are a little different on the Moto Z series.

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device starts to turn on, let go of buttons.

Press the Volume Down button to highlight "Recovery mode"

Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.

You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.

Holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.

Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it.
Select Ok or Yes to continue.

When finished, "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.

Last edited:
OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
The steps to clear the cache partition are a little different on the Moto Z series.

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device starts to turn on, let go of buttons.

Press the Volume Down button to highlight "Recovery mode"

Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.

You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.

Holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.

Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it.
Select Ok or Yes to continue.

When finished, "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.

Thanks, Sajo.
All the fussin' I've been doing, I totally forgot to try that LOL!
I'll report back over the next few days to let you know if that works... I have visions of my CVS app debacle when it was messing with my wifi. I sure hope it's not that complicated. (Fingers crossed)

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Unfortunately I did try clearing the cache partition in the past to no avail. However that was before I did the FDR, so maybe if I do it again I'll be more or less squaky clean and we'll see how that goes. TBH I do think my phone has something wrong, it gets hot on occasion seemingly randomly, the battery life isn't consistent day by day even with more or less the same usage, and as previously mentioned the BT also occasionally cuts in and out, which I know is a known issue for the phone but, yeah I dunno haha. Prob unrelated but I've also mentioned on here how I have trouble keeping notifications away. If I don't check it right away it usually comes back to remind me within the hour. But, it works well enough, so I haven't pursued a replacement...definitely thinking about it though.

I'll give this a go and report back, thanks all for the suggestion everyone, and can't wait to hear your results Gudasau!

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
The phone runs better now lol. Unfortunately, it didn't help my issue. My phone would ring, but not over the speakers in the car, yet the call came through the car speakers. Once, it rang over the speakers, but the call didn't transfer over. I had to take that call through my phone speaker. It doesn't make sense. The Nissan app seems to be connecting each time over the past few days, so the issue seems to be a little different, but with the same wonky problems. It's frustrating, to say the least. It must be the car's head unit or app. The phone seems perfect, IMHO

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I wonder if your cars system needs an update? You could check with a Nissan dealership to see if one is available. If you know someone that you can connect your phone to their car BT system. If it works fine, then you will know it's not the phone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk