Blackberries finnally 1^'d a droid!

koralyne

Reaction score
Bing Video: BlackBerry stops bullet

So apparently someone got shot, and their blackberry was in 'the right place at the right time' and took the hit instead.

Shes lucky... jeez :icon_eek:

...hmm. wheres our bulletproof droid app? ;D

(on a more serious note, the gun was misfired by some guy who had a ccw license. he says his guns slide got pulled back, and the gun fired, because he was adjusting his coat... wtf?)

zudien

Reaction score
This was accomplished by Motorola Razr a couple of years ago by a guy mowing his lawn and the phone was in his pocket.

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
This was accomplished by Motorola Razr a couple of years ago by a guy mowing his lawn and the phone was in his pocket.

odd, i could believe the blackberry, but the razr? thats just way too thin...

and, correct me if im mistaken, but its not made of metal, is it? i thought it was plastic.

sc4fpse

Reaction score

and, correct me if im mistaken, but its not made of metal, is it? i thought it was plastic.

Metal, actually, and plenty of it.

2004: MOTORAZR V3 Cellular Phone
In 2004 Motorola introduced the RAZR V3 cellular phone, an ultraslim, metal-clad, quad-band flip phone. The 13.9 mm thin phone used aircraft-grade aluminum to achieve several design and engineering innovations, including a nickel-plated keypad.
Source: Motorola History - Timeline - About Motorola - Legacy of Innovation - Mobile Communications - Car Radios - Public Safety Networks - Police Cruiser Radio Receiver - Color Television - Firsts - Heritage - Invention - Creative Engineering - Imagination

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Droid DOES stop bullets (claim not qualified, don't try at home), people who're smart enough to buy a Droid are just too smart to get capped. Haha!

Thinking about buying a BB-vest for when s*** gets hot...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

You'd be surprised... besides there's no mention (unless I missed it) of what caliber the gun was. And most of the popular carried models (9mm, .38 ect., even lower grain-count .40's) have very little 'penetrating' power. Also a wide range of bullet 'types', while effective again soft-tissue (i.e. flesh), don't fair well against even moderately hard items (like cell phones). Add to those other factors like the age of the ammo and you'd be surprised what can stop a bullet :wink:.

And NO we don't need to turn this into a debate about which caliber is better... just info in general for people to think about.

Last edited:

Guchi

Reaction score
i bet he still felt like he was going to die, it would be like getting hit HARD with a sledge hammer or something

audioman42

Reaction score
think about what a bullet would have to penetrate to get through a droid - gorilla glass, a THREE layers of metal, a lipo battery, and maybe some silicon. sorry blackberry, you fail again! :D

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
i bet he still felt like he was going to die, it would be like getting hit HARD with a sledge hammer or something

She....Boyfriend play with a loaded weapon....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
think about what a bullet would have to penetrate to get through a droid - gorilla glass, a THREE layers of metal, a lipo battery, and maybe some silicon. sorry blackberry, you fail again! :D

I doubt you would want to test that logic out.

Itamar

Reaction score
You'd be surprised... besides there's no mention (unless I missed it) of what caliber the gun was. And most of the popular carried models (9mm, .38 ect., even lower grain-count .40's) have very little 'penetrating' power. Also a wide range of bullet 'types', while effective again soft-tissue (i.e. flesh), don't fair well against even moderately hard items (like cell phones). Add to those other factors like the age of the ammo and you'd be surprised what can stop a bullet :wink:.

Truth. Not to mention that some of the smaller calibers like .22, .25 and .32 have been documented to actually bounce off their intended victims. Remember your basic physics, it's mass + velocity ....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Truth. Not to mention that some of the smaller calibers like .22, .25 and .32 have been documented to actually bounce off their intended victims. Remember your basic physics, it's mass + velocity ....

That's why they made the .45 :icon_ banana:

Itamar

Reaction score
BTW, the other thing to consider in the OP's discussion is the deflection angle. It the projectile struck at any angle other than perpendicular, it would have been much easier for the BB to prevent injury.