1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bionic, Extended Battery, Otterbox, and Dremel....

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Accessories' started by DF Smod, Sep 15, 2011.

1. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

After the first few days of using the extended battery/otterbox without the back cover for the otterbox I finally decided to make it permanent...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. HeadBrewer

HeadBrewer New Member

Hey there,

Was just thinking about doing the exact same thing. How did you like the outcome? Does it still fit in the holster? I'm thinking that perhaps something like a bit of thin rubber weatherstripping around the rough edge of the cut would be nice. It would leave just the back of the battery exposed to potential harm. But better the battery taking a shot than the actual phone.
  3. obxsalvo

obxsalvo Member

Wha the.....? Oh well I guess you can get a new back cover cheep enough. I dont have the *guts's to do that to mine or the ability to try :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  4. HeadBrewer

HeadBrewer New Member

On second thought, the back cover is just rubber so if done neatly would be just fine leaving as is. You would never even know that you cut a bit of it out. Well done. If it still fits in the holster I will definitely be doing this.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

It fits in the holster just like it did before, I made the cut, filed the edges and used a buffing wheel to smooth it down so the extended battery back plate wouldn't get scratched up, also the front and back otterbox pieces snap together like they did before, you wouldn't even be able to tell unless I told you
  6. BlazinBlake

BlazinBlake New Member

Hey, would you be interested in making one for me. I'm willing to pay you to alter a back cover for me. Let me know if your interested.
    Thanks!
  7. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Blake if you send it to me with a return shipping label I'd do it at no cost, it was fairly easy but I couldn't guarantee it would be as seamless as mine was
  8. Human_Droid

Human_Droid New Member

How long did your battery last before you installed the extended battery? I have mine set to turn off data after 15 min and it lasts quite a long time.. id say on par or better than my DX
  9. Spydaz

Spydaz New Member

I did this same thing to my otterbox the day after release. One word of advice is to trim the rubber inside the outer cover where the speaker is to make it flush.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  10. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

I thought about the same thing for my droid. Then I realized the whole reason I use otterbox is because of how rugged it is...and now myotterbox IS my battery cover. Just left the stock battery cover off. It fits great around the camera and everything.

Looking closer at the pics, I guess the bionic and d3 are quite a bit different in battery cover design?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  11. Woosh

Woosh New Member

Another OtterBox Case Mod

tp76 you are a pioneer and my inspiration for my attempt at modding my case. I took a slightly different approach but have the same results. Wasn't very comforable with the amount of plastic that your design had to take out of the Otterbox (especially around the HDMI and Micro USB flap). I took the standard battery cover and cut out a hole to fit the phone with the Extended battery installed. If I every change my mind I can buy another standard battery cover from Verizon for $5. Then took the Otterbox case and cut a tapered hole for the extended battery. Tappered so that the battery is held in place with the Otterbox case. I think it came out quite well and I'm pleased with the results. No mod of the rubber case was needed.

View attachment 40522
    View attachment 40523
    View attachment 40524
    View attachment 40525
    View attachment 40526
  12. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

That looks great woosh, I thought of it to but didn't want to cut any OEM part of the phone, I think between the two designs we have all the bases covered - then there's always using the extended battery/otterbox without the back cover as someone suggested, I did that for the first few days but a cut is vital for a secure otterbox feel

13. kook

kook Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Is that the Commuter or Defender case?
  14. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Defender Series

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  15. forsaken

forsaken New Member

i wonder if it would be possible to plastic weld the piece that you cut out to the back at the height that is needed for the case to fit? if i remember correctly the silicone fits a little loose on the phone where it could work

16. goosefraba1

goosefraba1 New Member

Just wondering.... which battery extender is that and where was it purchased.... I'm thinking about doing that now.
  17. harajyuks

harajyuks New Member

I applaud all of the great workmanship and thought put into these two designs, but i cant justify paying for the protection of the otterbox case and then modding it to fit the extended battery at the expense of the protection that I made the initial investment for... these are great atheistic work arounds the larger issue; case manufactures need to recognize that -at least in the high end non-iphone smart phone segment- THEY NEED TO BEGIN TO PRODUCE CASES THAT HOUSE THE EXTENDED BATTERY OPTIONS... the fact that iphone- the largest manufacture of the smart phones sold- doesn't allow for an extended battery means that all other platforms are punished for exchangeable battery options... its pure fu*kery!
  18. Skrimpy

Skrimpy New Member

I'm having trouble seeing what you did. You have a step by step?

Does anyone know of a case that pets similar protection to the defender otterbox that will fit the extended battery?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  19. BlazinBlake

BlazinBlake New Member

20. Blackhawk13

Blackhawk13 New Member

I think ill just wait till the come out with an otterbox for the extended battery

Search tags for this page
bionic extended battery

bionic extended battery otterbox

bionic otterbox extended battery

droid bionic extended battery
droid bionic extended battery case otterbox
droid bionic extended battery otter box

droid bionic extended battery otterbox

droid bionic otterbox extended battery

otterbox bionic extended battery

otterbox defender droid bionic extended battery