Bionic build 5.9.901....Initial impressions......and what we know so far

Stingray71

Reaction score
Signal seems stronger compared to wife's iPhone 4. On a recent trip, her signal bars swayed noticeably more than mine. Having said that, still get chronic data drops, 3G only in my area. When I'd get data drops, I'd check my wife's iphone only to notice she still had data. :frown: Besides that, phone is working very well.

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Signal seems stronger compared to wife's iPhone 4. On a recent trip, her signal bars swayed noticeably more than mine. Having said that, still get chronic data drops, 3G only in my area. When I'd get data drops, I'd check my wife's iphone only to notice she still had data. :frown: Besides that, phone is working very well.

How recent was the trip? Because this particular update was only released 2 days ago. Are you on build # 5.9.901? Because you would be the first person to identify the data issue wasn't fixed.

foamman

Reaction score
How recent was the trip? Because this particular update was only released 2 days ago. Are you on build # 5.9.901? Because you would be the first person to identify the data issue wasn't fixed.

I'm curious if he his on the same page as the rest of us. I was dropping data atleast once an hour on all previous builds. Since the 901 update I haven't dropped data once. I have gone from 3g to 4G today without any issues and can transition between WIFI and cell service without a hitch. Up until now I was on the phone with VZW and tweeting with VZWSUPPORT every day batching about this phone. For the first time I can use the phone to its fullest potential. Now all we need to do is remove the Blur and feed me some ICS.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Stingray71

Reaction score

Trip was yesterday, running 901. I was streaming Pandora. Location I was at is relatively flat with a mountain range where towers are located. Several occasions, while driving around, Pandora would drop out. Noticed 3G icon was gone. Did this at least 4x without any rhyme or reason. Wife still had 3G (at least the 3g icon) on her iphone, in honesty, not sure if she had data as I didn't try it. Used Airplane mode trick to get it back up again. Location I was in is as near to ideal as you can get.

My phone doesn't spend much time in the wild, most of the time it's on wifi, I can't really compare performance now compared to pre-updates.

All this is anecdotal I know.

Haven't tested how well it works being stationary, always on wifi when home or at work. Might give it a go though since I have a done of data left this billing cycle.

Last edited:

foamman

Reaction score
How has your data been today?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Stingray71

Reaction score
How has your data been today?

At work right now, turned off wifi and I'm streaming Pandora via 3G, only been about 10 minutes, so far so good. :) I'll run it for about an hour, will stream again on my way home. 20+ mile trip home, relatively flat with towers up on mountain range. Should be ideal with minimal signal drop, will report back later. :)

Last edited:

Verro84

Reaction score
Is there a root method for the 5.9.901 it's yet? Thinking about updating but I don't wanna lose root still having data issues plus when I text it hits multiple letters and it seems like I have to calibrate the screen any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

badhabit

Reaction score
New member and first post...I purchased my bionic used last week. The previous user did a factory reset and I then did the ota update and got the .893 update. I downloaded the bootstrap recovery and did a backup. I also did the titanium back up and at some point I did the one click root after Petes root would not work.... I would like to install this update but am wondering what I need to do to be safe before I try the update link. I tried to do the OTA update and is says it's not avail.....
Thanks folks

lluke04

Reaction score
I am new to Droid Forums and just got my Droid Bionic, but I am interested in trying the new 5.9.901 update and what to keep my root. Can you elaborate on the steps to do so? From what I know, which isn't much I can use 43v3r root to restore back to 886, then root and 43v3r root. Do the OTA to 5.5.893 and then manually install 901. Right now I am on 5.7.893 with Eclipse 2.0. Can you let me know if I am on the right track?

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Is there a root method for the 5.9.901 it's yet? Thinking about updating but I don't wanna lose root still having data issues plus when I text it hits multiple letters and it seems like I have to calibrate the screen any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

As long as you are 4ever rooted you will retain root privileges. As far as your screen problem, it sounds like an FDR will fix that. Make sure that you are 4 ever rooted and perform an FDR. After that, download the superuser app from the market and you should be good to go.

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
New member and first post...I purchased my bionic used last week. The previous user did a factory reset and I then did the ota update and got the .893 update. I downloaded the bootstrap recovery and did a backup. I also did the titanium back up and at some point I did the one click root after Petes root would not work.... I would like to install this update but am wondering what I need to do to be safe before I try the update link. I tried to do the OTA update and is says it's not avail.....
Thanks folks

It sounds like you are already rooted. Since you need root to use the bootstrap recovery and titanium backup, why are trying to run Pete's?

If you want to update to the 901 build and retain root you need to be 4ever rooted because there is not root exploit built for 901 specifically yet. Use this for 4ever rooting:

option 3 or 4 depending on your current root access.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...70-r3l3as3droot-43v3r-root-bionic-v2-1-a.html

Then just manually install the 901 update AFTER you are 4ever rooted.

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
I am new to Droid Forums and just got my Droid Bionic, but I am interested in trying the new 5.9.901 update and what to keep my root. Can you elaborate on the steps to do so? From what I know, which isn't much I can use 43v3r root to restore back to 886, then root and 43v3r root. Do the OTA to 5.5.893 and then manually install 901. Right now I am on 5.7.893 with Eclipse 2.0. Can you let me know if I am on the right track?

Did you ever install a leaked update? Need more information to help you out.

Alastrionia

Sourcery Themer / Designr
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

If you are on the leaked 5.7.893 you can not get the 5.9.901
at this point in time you are off the beaten path and can't go backwards to move forward to this update

If it's just your system that's 5.7.893 (ie just the ROM having that version)
then yes you can use the 43v3r to - restore / root / 43v3r root your phone
then take the 5.5.893 OTA, then manually install the 5.5.901

but BEWARE. if you do this you can not, I repeat can not run a custom ROM after the fact.

you will be stock rooted with 5.9.901 but that's it. that choice is up to you.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are on the leaked 5.7.893 you can not get the 5.9.901
at this point in time you are off the beaten path and can't go backwards to move forward to this update

If it's just your system that's 5.7.893 (ie just the ROM having that version)
then yes you can use the 43v3r to - restore / root / 43v3r root your phone
then take the 5.5.893 OTA, then manually install the 5.5.901

but BEWARE. if you do this you can not, I repeat can not run a custom ROM after the fact.

you will be stock rooted with 5.9.901 but that's it. that choice is up to you.

Are any roms being made to work with 5.9.901 yet that you know of? Also on a side note how come non of the roms support webtop for connecting to a lapdock?

lluke04

Reaction score
Never installed leaked update. I rooted and 43v3r rooted my phone with 5.5.886. Then I updated to 5.5.893 via OTA. After that I flashed Eclipse v2.0 and when I went into About Phone I noticed that the System version says 5.7.893. I'm thinking if I use 43ver root to restore back to 886 and root and 43ver root, making sure all Verizon bloatware is there, then do OTA update to 5.5.893, then do a manual update install to 5.9.901 I should be okay. What do you think?
Did you ever install a leaked update? Need more information to help you out.