Bionic build 5.9.901....Initial impressions......and what we know so far

xmguy

Reaction score
Thank you, I didn't even think about listing the stuff. Mostly because it was backed up and deleted within 5 mins of my activation.

Albeit I don't have a slingbox (own a hava streamer) Some will be glad to see the Slingbox app as the market version costs $30. Rest is junk.

Sent from my BIONIC out in the boonies of TN while picking a guitar!

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Albeit I don't have a slingbox (own a hava streamer) Some will be glad to see the Slingbox app as the market version costs $30. Rest is junk.

Sent from my BIONIC out in the boonies of TN while picking a guitar!

No ****? Go figure that Big Red would give us a $30 app for free.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me, it did. And I have yet to hear anything negative about it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Nothing negative here, all it did for me was increase the speed of my LTE connection a tad, increase the speed of connection switching (4G/Wifi for me), and going in and out of airplane mode now happens in an instant. Plus, it did away with a Bluetooth issue that .893 had brought to my AT&T cordless bluetooth phone.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
For those that want to know what new or changed apps they put on the phone in 5.9.901 and want something more specific than hearing "bloatware," here is what I've noticed different in the App drawer:

1.) Apps - V Cast Apps
2.) Emergency Alerts
3.) Latitude - The updated the logo
4.) MOG Music - Pandora competitor
5.) Places - The updated the logo
6.) Slingbox
7.) Verizon Video - V Cast Video is gone and replaced by this
8.) Videos - Looks like a movie rental service to compete with Netflix

View attachment 44459

ZimmTheSeries

Videos is from Google. I believe you use that app to watch your Google Movie rentals and what not.

foamman

Reaction score
I installed this update a couple hours ago. If anyone is wondering I got the go ahead from VZWSupport (see link). So if you are worried that you are off the update path, save my twitter feed for future use.

https://twitter.com/#!/TheRealFoamman/status/149519162648166400

So far so good. I have not dropped data once. I have been in my house the whole time normally I switch to WIFI. I left it off to see how long I can go without losing data. I have not lost it for even a second. This is the first time that I have a solid green bar for Phone Signal in the Battery and Data Manager. I think they finally figured this thing out!dancedroid To bad it took 4-1/2 months.:blink:

Just took one pic with the camera and it is greatly improved. You won't be missing any more pics.

The UI is much snappier than I remember. I have been running a ROM for so long I don't remember exactly how it was but it definitely wasn't this responsive.

I have a Slingbox (one of the greatest inventions ever) and have paid for the $30 for the app already. The app on the phone is not the app you are looking for. It's a demo/advertisement app. Does me no good.

I was able to keep root and have already done a backup in CWR. I wasn't able to update the SU app, I had to delete it and reinstall. The update fixer did not work for me.

I am glad I have an unlimited plan...I have used 3.209GB so far this month downloading roms and watching the redzone channel.

Loving it so far...Bring on the ROMS!!!

y0yoyo

Reaction score
i still have the 5.5.893 that i installed from this forum months ago...i just checked my phone and did system updates and it said no updates were available...i take it i just need the wait longer right?

Narffran

Reaction score
Videos - you are not allowed to rent videos on this phone because it appears to be rooted. Nothing I'll miss anyways. Phone is MUCH better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mikespe

Reaction score
I manually installed the 901 update. I am rooted with 43v3r root and kept root. So far I don't really notice much difference. Most of my issues were fixed with the 893 update. Headphone whine was still present after 893. Haven't check it with 901 yet. I will post more findings if I have any.

Do you have a link to the download so I can give it a shot?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the download so I can give it a shot?

I got it from here DROID Bionic Receiving Mysterious 5.9.901 Update? – Droid Life

Here are the instructions from Droid Life with my added instructions. You have to be totally stock with all the bloatware unfrozen. You can be 43v3r rooted. Flash at your own risk.

Instructions
:

1. Download the file from above and drop it on the root of your SD card (not internal storage). <---download from "mirror" site
2. Reboot into stock recovery <----Power phone off, then hold volume down and power. When menu comes up press volume down to move to recovery and volume up to select recovery.
3. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
4. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then the power switch to initiate it.
5. Choose the file that you downloaded above and let it load.

If you see this, be sure to let us know. Loading on my Bionic now.
*Note – Likely breaks root methods. Perma-root may leave you with root though.

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
BTW the 901 update is running good for me so far

-No headphone whine
-No data drops
-Good data speeds
-Webtop and hdmi work as they should
-Freezing bloat works fine
-Safestrap: backup and restore work fine (of stock rooted, don't install custom roms based on 893)
-Camera is fine
-Call quality is good
-Don't really know about battery yet.
-I factory reset after update (make sure your bloat is unfrozen before your do this or you will be spending some time pushing them back to system apps. I am not sure if a factory reset is needed or not)

That being said, still need to test. Been running it since last night. 893 ran pretty good for me too.

zirkdog

Reaction score
The MOTO support forum said this is was an accidental release of a future patch in the testing phase. Did they say that the .901 would be "THE PATCH" that is going to be pushed at an unknown time in the future? What happens when they release the next update and the numbers are different say...902. Are all of those rushing to flash this one going to be hosed like those who rushed to flash the cheesecake patches??

Last edited:
OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
The MOTO support forum said this is was an accidental release of a future patch in the testing phase. Did they say that the .901 would be "THE PATCH" that is going to be pushed at an unknown time in the future? What happens when they release the next update and the numbers are different say...902. Are all of those rushing to flash this one going to be hosed like those who rushed to flash the cheesecake patches??

No, since moto released this OTA to some users, they are gonna have to support it. Even if it was only a few people.

ex0rcist

Reaction score

+1. Not straying from official ota's

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Nate, thanks for starting this thread. Was hard to dig thru the update stuff between all the rooting, ROM'ing and restoring conversations (not that all that stuff is bad), just say'n.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
For those that want to know what new or changed apps they put on the phone in 5.9.901 and want something more specific than hearing "bloatware," here is what I've noticed different in the App drawer:

1.) Apps - V Cast Apps
2.) Emergency Alerts
3.) Latitude - The updated the logo
4.) MOG Music - Pandora competitor
5.) Places - The updated the logo
6.) Slingbox
7.) Verizon Video - V Cast Video is gone and replaced by this
8.) Videos - Looks like a movie rental service to compete with Netflix

View attachment 44459

ZimmTheSeries

Zimm,,
Just curious, the Slingbox app is just like the Slingbox app in the market. Is it a link that will charge you for the app ala the Vcast services, or, did Verizon negotiate something useful? Fix'n to install a Slingbox Pro this weekend, would be nice not to pay $29.00 for the app :)