Bionic build 5.9.901....Initial impressions......and what we know so far

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Applying the update now. Hoping for the best!

The previous update stopped all blank screens and battery life improved immensely. Unfortunately, the data drops still happened.

Here's hopping .901 will solve this.

dhacker29

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
th3oryrom.com
****If you apply this update and try flash a custom rom on top of it, you WILL bork your phone. As of the date and time of this post, there are no custom roms that will work with this update****

What is this statement based on?? Has someone flashed this and then tried to go to another ROM and it messed their phone up, or is this just speculation? I find it odd that the kernel would be so substantially different that it was not compatible with previous versions.

foamman

Reaction score
What is this statement based on?? Has someone flashed this and then tried to go to another ROM and it messed their phone up, or is this just speculation? I find it odd that the kernel would be so substantially different that it was not compatible with previous versions.

There have been reports of people trying to revert to backups they made and installing custom roms completely f-ing things up. I have not tried to install one on top of this build. I will say that it is running great and that I was told by VZWSupport that I should install it. See link...I also have the file saved on my sdcard.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VZWSupport/status/149543141089882114

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yes, go here and you will see Alastronia and a few others mention it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-sent-me-update-5-9-901-a-12.html#post1926714

billyk

Reaction score
When this is pushed OTA to all of us, is it best to have recently done a factory reset prior to updating, or will it not matter?

foamman

Reaction score
Just let the updater dowoad and install.

foamman

Reaction score
Still running strong... Heading into NYC will be testing 4G all day.

SigSoldat

Reaction score
I got it from here DROID Bionic Receiving Mysterious 5.9.901 Update? – Droid Life

Here are the instructions from Droid Life with my added instructions. You have to be totally stock with all the bloatware unfrozen. You can be 43v3r rooted. Flash at your own risk.

Instructions
:

1. Download the file from above and drop it on the root of your SD card (not internal storage). <---download from "mirror" site
2. Reboot into stock recovery <----Power phone off, then hold volume down and power. When menu comes up press volume down to move to recovery and volume up to select recovery.
3. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
4. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then the power switch to initiate it.
5. Choose the file that you downloaded above and let it load.

If you see this, be sure to let us know. Loading on my Bionic now.
*Note – Likely breaks root methods. Perma-root may leave you with root though.

CORRECTION TO STEP #2 above: <----Power phone off, then hold volume UP AND DOWN and power. When menu comes up press volume down to move to recovery and volume up to select recovery.

I just tried updating to 5.9.901 and it aborted. I previously updated manually to 5.7.893 so that must have something to do with it. Can I revert back to a former version and then update to 5.9.901?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
When this is pushed OTA to all of us, is it best to have recently done a factory reset prior to updating, or will it not matter?

It may or may not matter. You could factory reset after the ota if your phone is giving you issues, but if everything seems to be working ok, then its probably not necessary. If you do factory reset make sure you are totally stock with all bloat unfrozen. You can be 43v3r rooted.

foamman

Reaction score
CORRECTION TO STEP #2 above: <----Power phone off, then hold volume UP AND DOWN and power. When menu comes up press volume down to move to recovery and volume up to select recovery.

I just tried updating to 5.9.901 and it aborted. I previously updated manually to 5.7.893 so that must have something to do with it. Can I revert back to a former version and then update to 5.9.901?

You have to be on 5.5.893 with all the bloat and matching radio and kernel.

rduckwor

Reaction score
Zimm,,
Just curious, the Slingbox app is just like the Slingbox app in the market. Is it a link that will charge you for the app ala the Vcast services, or, did Verizon negotiate something useful? Fix'n to install a Slingbox Pro this weekend, would be nice not to pay $29.00 for the app :)

Read elsewhere that the two Slingbox apps are totally different. Apparently the bloat Slingbox is a a trial.

Thanks you VZW for more useless crapware.

RMD

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score

As has already been pointed out, there have been a few people that tried to roll back to a nandroid backup or flash a custom rom based on an older version. I have not heard of someone successfully doing it yet so I figured I'd put a warning out until it's proven otherwise.

rduckwor

Reaction score
As has already been pointed out, there have been a few people that tried to roll back to a nandroid backup or flash a custom rom based on an older version. I have not heard of someone successfully doing it yet so I figured I'd put a warning out until it's proven otherwise.

True. With the locked bootloader, you cannot revert the kernal version to a prior version.

All updates will fail unless based upon/seeking the kernal version you have installed.

RMD

entcee

Reaction score

If you do the update, other ROMs will work, but the radio will not. Then if you try to restore using FXZ, it will fail and then the phone will always boot to fastboot showing "flash failed".

Here is what I had to do to get the phone back:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-sent-me-update-5-9-901-a-49.html#post1926788

foamman

Reaction score
Music hiss between songs is gone! Streaming using Google music and sound is crystal clear over car stereo.