Bionic and ICS Questions

ccr05

Reaction score
Okay so i know there are a few tutorials out there that show you how to get the ICS leaks on a droid bionic, which im considering doing, but first i have a few questions...

First off, when i got my phone i updated to .905 and installed safestrap and my 'non-safe' has never been tampered with other than root, however ive flashed the AOKP Nightlies on my 'safe'. Will this cause any issues?

My current 'non-safe': System: .905 Android: 2.3.4 Kernel:2.6.35.7 Build: 5.5.1_84_DBN-74 any issues here?

Third, will i be able to get the official update if i flash back to .902

Fourth, can i just remove safestrap or there a process?

Can i just flash with .905 or do i have to flash back to .902?

Sorry for all the questions i just want to be safe. (and yes i have googled but i cant seem to find a forward answer)

Thank you :D

eye_dea

Reaction score
ccr05 said:
Okay so i know there are a few tutorials out there that show you how to get the ICS leaks on a droid bionic, which im considering doing, but first i have a few questions...

First off, when i got my phone i updated to .905 and installed safestrap and my 'non-safe' has never been tampered with other than root, however ive flashed the AOKP Nightlies on my 'safe'. Will this cause any issues?

My current 'non-safe': System: .905 Android: 2.3.4 Kernel:2.6.35.7 Build: 5.5.1_84_DBN-74 any issues here?

Third, will i be able to get the official update if i flash back to .902

Fourth, can i just remove safestrap or there a process?

Can i just flash with .905 or do i have to flash back to .902?

Sorry for all the questions i just want to be safe. (and yes i have googled but i cant seem to find a forward answer)

Thank you :D

1. Safestrap is an issue. (See below for safestrap issue.)
2. No issue.
3. Yes
4. There is a process. You will have to get back to unsafe side (stock 905). If you made a backup of unsafe side then you can restore the preinstall partition. If not, then you will need to reflash the preinstall partition.
5. Flash from 905.

OP
C

ccr05

Reaction score

Okay so really the only issue then is safestrap, i did make a 'nandroid' backup of my non-safe and i can easily toggle between my non and safe side. So what steps do i take to remove my safe side completely along with safestrap, is there an easy guide to follow (im not quite sure of all the abbreviations so if you tell me how could you restrain from them please and thank you :D)

I really appreciate it :D

OP
C

ccr05

Reaction score
Okay i did some googling and i saw a thing that said i could just go into my non safe mode, open safestrap remove the recovery and uninstall safestrap. I rebooted my phone and no issues, am i good to go?

eye_dea

Reaction score
1. If you have a non-safe (stock) backup, you can restore your preinstall partition by turning off safe mode, then go to "backup and restore" then "advanced restore". Choose the non-safe backup file and then "system".
After that is finished, you go into safestrap app to remove recovery and uninstall safestrap.

2. Or you can reflash the preinstall partition using the moto-fastboot method.

Either way you need to restore your stock preinstall partition. Safestrap utilizes your preinstall partition for the 2nd ROMs data. The ICS updates (leaks) have a preinstall patch, so if the stock preinstall items are not there, the update will fail.

I would protect root with "OTA Rootkeeper" from the market or you can reroot with "razrs_edge" when on ICS.

OP
C

ccr05

Reaction score
Ummm..... i just went to my non safe and uninstalled recovery then removed safestrap from my phone. I have my bionic like the day i did it, but with root. is that an issue or what? CAn i not do it with root? Whats the 'preinstall partion' and whats the moto-fastboot method.... ill keep googling. thanks.

eye_dea

Reaction score
Ummm..... i just went to my non safe and uninstalled recovery then removed safestrap from my phone. I have my bionic like the day i did it, but with root. is that an issue or what? CAn i not do it with root? Whats the 'preinstall partion' and whats the moto-fastboot method.... ill keep googling. thanks.

I read what you did, but that that alone does not restore the preinstall partition. All you did was turn off the safestrap recovery, so its boot menu does not come up when you restart your phone. Use a file manger app and go to the preinstall folder. Inside you will see all the data/apps for your custom ROM. What needs to be there is all the moto crap that came loaded with the OS. If you continue to have trouble, PM me.