ics update on bionic that lost root?

Is installing a leak worth the effort and or risk?

• You haven't done that yet?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, but there are a few glitches

• no, its ok, but not really worth it

• STAY AWAY TILL THE OTA

• Total voters

dale.j.gilbert

Reaction score
ok so i was looking at updating to one of the ics leaks (232 is the most stable that you can go back from yes? cause you have to go back once the final update comes out, correct?)

back on .902 i had rooted, installed adblocker, safestrap and a rom. i uninstalled safe strap (and the recovery that you have to install with it). i then took the .905 OTA which broke my root. so my phone is not currently rooted but still has adblocker and superuser installed. the old rom might still be there somewhere but idk.

so to go to the leak do i have to do the fxz thing back to 902 before i can update? or can i just factory reset and then do the update? if it worked would SU still be on my phone? or would it be like it had come out of the box with the ics?

thanks for any help

Droid 51

Reaction score
U can root 905 after u fxz use ota root keeper install 232 use ota again and u will b rooted with no problems but if you ate like me and sometimes need a visual go to YouTube and look up droidmodderx he has good video's on several phones and roms and just about everything else

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
This is a common question people have. The ICS leaks are genuine Motorola developed Ice Cream Sandwich. They don't require root to access, just that you are on 5.9.905.

If you are concerned that you aren't completely stock before updating (which is recommended) then use the .905 fxz first. Root or not has nothing to do with it. You can root on ICS with razrs edge

Sent from my CM 10 Jelly Bean Bionic

unbesorgt

Reaction score
ok so i was looking at updating to one of the ics leaks (232 is the most stable that you can go back from yes? cause you have to go back once the final update comes out, correct?)

Incorrect -- if the leak you are on turns out to be the OTA, there will be no need to go back to .905 to get the update, because you will already have the update. Current consensus is that .247 will be the OTA (but that's not guaranteed).

Also, if you are on a build higher than .232, you cannot return to .905. That's why you see people recommending .232 -- not because it's "more stable" (it's not).