Big Problem

Raditude

Reaction score
I messed up. I know that. I don't need criticism, because after all the trouble I've been through and the trouble I'm probably going to have to go through, I've learned my lesson. I will back it up next time.

Ok. I have a Droid 2. I rooted it, but left it stock. It has wanted to update for awhile, but won't since I rooted and deleted the bloatware, without backing it up first. I finally decided that I would like to update it, so I figured I would restore the bloatware. I then seen a way to load a rom with a newer OS, so I decided I would try that.

I downloaded the Droid 2 (2.3.20) Deodexed Update.zip format: from here. I decided to backup my current installation, and tried to boot into recovery mode. When I tried that (by holding x while powering on) it showed the Android with the exclamation point in the triangle. I could only get out of it by pressing Shift-Alt-Del to reset.

I then learned that some phones go into recovery by pressing the volume up while powering on. I tried that, but it stuck at the Motorola M. I turned it off, then turned it back on, and got to a screen with white letters (like a DOS or Unix command prompt) and it said to plug in the USB. I tried that, but nothing happened, and I couldn't select anything. I battery pulled the phone, and it reboot normally. I haven't been able to get to this since.

I found a suggestion that I should install Rom Manager. I downloaded and tried that. It gave the option to flash the recovery rom, but all it did was reboot my phone. I tried holding x again on reboot, and a status bar started to go by the android guy before turning into an exclamation point in a triangle, and automaticaly rebooting my phone. I tried it a few more times, but the same thing. I then booted the phone normally, and tried various things with Rom Manager. Rebooting while holding X doesn't bring the progress bar anymore, but just the android with the exclamation.

I tried loading the sdk tools and attempted to reboot and load it with fastboot, but it just hung saying "waiting for device."

I have no idea what to do.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want the OTA update and deleted the stock ROM, assuming you are in fact rooted, you can flash the stock ROM to your phone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
And it sounds like you have the stock recovery already?

OP
Raditude

Raditude

Reaction score
I know its rooted, as I've been using wireless tether, and deleted the bloatware. I have no idea which recovery console I have. I tried installing the one from Rom Manager, but it didn't look like it installed, and I cant boot into recovery whatsoever.

I tried flashing the stock rom, but it wont go into recovery mode or bootloader mode.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the root method should explain what recovery you have installed. You should check it to see if it says anything. And if you can't boot into recovery then that's an issue. Does the phone turn on at all?

OP
Raditude

Raditude

Reaction score
I rooted using rageagainstthecage and the android sdk. The phone boots up normally, as I'm using it now to type this.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't know a ton about the D2 but you have the stock recovery for sure. I think you might need bootstrap to install ROMs on the D2.

I'd look around this area to find more info:
Droid 2 Rooted Help

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it was stock recovery as well

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
And sorry. I didn't read your signature

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I should've quoted it. I had asked if his phone would even boot which I should've known because it says its sent fron his phone

OP
Raditude

Raditude

Reaction score
Ok, so its stock. Why cant I boot into recovery mode?

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Download rsdlite and the full sbf from tbh's post. Easy search on google and I think it's stickied in a post with link here. If you get to the usb screen, rsdlite will take it from there. Will also reboot the phone to that mode if you start it up while the phone is on. Reroot once installed. This makes sure you get the baseband and kernel updates as well as not requiring to reload a past copy of the system that still might not let the update load.