Better app than Handcent?

Synthet1k

Reaction score
Well, I downloaded Handcent SMS for my Droid and thought it was awesome up until I noticed that my service was fluctuating.... I would have the phone on a table, still as can be, yet the signal bars would go from 4 bars to none, then to two...and so on. This would happen randomly. When it would happen, I was unable to receive or make calls and texts. This was VERY frustrating, and never happened until Handcent was installed. Last night I was on the phone with Verizon tech support for about 2 hours, and we eventually had to do a hard reset on the phone because nothing else would work. So far, the problem has been resolved. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a good app that is free and similar to Hancent. Thanks for the help! :)

P.S. I'm very new to these Droid phones, so please try to bear with me!

OP
Synthet1k

Synthet1k

Reaction score
I heard Chomp charges you for "credits" in order to text... o_O Is this true?
With Verizon, I have unlimited text messaging, so why would I wanna pay?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I downloaded Handcent SMS for my Droid and thought it was awesome up until I noticed that my service was fluctuating.... I would have the phone on a table, still as can be, yet the signal bars would go from 4 bars to none, then to two...and so on. This would happen randomly. When it would happen, I was unable to receive or make calls and texts. This was VERY frustrating, and never happened until Handcent was installed. Last night I was on the phone with Verizon tech support for about 2 hours, and we eventually had to do a hard reset on the phone because nothing else would work. So far, the problem has been resolved. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a good app that is free and similar to Hancent. Thanks for the help! :)

P.S. I'm very new to these Droid phones, so please try to bear with me!

handcent will not affect your phones reception.

i dont use it, but im pretty sure it just uses ur plans texting - same as handcent.

its basically handcent, chomp, or the stock one for texting (yes i know theres others out there but i tihnk these are teh populare ones)

fotc

Reaction score
i have no clue. i use the stock messaging app. i have just heard good things about chomp and handcent from people who use them

OP
Synthet1k

Synthet1k

Reaction score
So you guys think it would be okay if I re-downloaded Handcent now that I've done the hard reset??? Since it doesn't effect my phone's reception, that should not happen again, right?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So you guys think it would be okay if I re-downloaded Handcent now that I've done the hard reset??? Since it doesn't effect my phone's reception, that should not happen again, right?

correct...

CityLightsOZ

Reaction score
chompSMS doesnt use credits. It uses your regular text messaging. Chompsms gives you an option to use credits that they provide but you don't need to use it. and chompSMS is very simple to use, I will never get rid of it.

Chillout

Reaction score
I had issues with performance using Handcent when I first tried it. It would bog down, run slow, and just generally be a royal pain to use. Since I've rooted though and reinstalled it, it runs flawlessly. Plus you just can't beat the customization options with handcent IMO.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had issues with performance using Handcent when I first tried it. It would bog down, run slow, and just generally be a royal pain to use. Since I've rooted though and reinstalled it, it runs flawlessly. Plus you just can't beat the customization options with handcent IMO.

rooting would not affect how handcent runs...

daxstyles

Reaction score
I have been using Handcent for a while now. The only thing I dislike about it is the double notifications. I have read, and read, and read how to disable the stock to stop it from happening, but nothing stops it. (messaging>menu>settings Delivery reports disabled, Auto retrieve disabled, Notifications disabled, the only thing that is checked there is Delete old messsages) I have uninstalled Handcent and waited for updates and reinstalled only to have the same issue. I love the customization of it, but hearing my notification tone twice for each message is driving me insane.

Is ChompSMS as customizable? I think I have given Handcent enough tries to finally say I am done with it, but don't want to stay with the stock messenger.

DomsWife

Reaction score
I had chomp and my phone was being a little weird after downloading, particularly the browser..uninstalled and now its fine..may not have been the problem, I dunno a lot about technical issues with my droid, think I will download again and see if it happens again..it is an absolutely fantastic sms app so hopefully won't have anymore problems

HarleyDad09

Reaction score
HAndcent SMS is the best SMS/MMS app out there IMO, I have tried Chomp, but its garbage compared to Handcent..again IMO. I downloaded handcent shortly after I got my Droid on the day it was released and it will be the first thing I download when I get whatever Droid they release for the holidays :)