Best way to perform Factory Default Reset (and restore data) after ICS

jetguat

Reaction score
Over the past year I've downloaded hundreds of apps. Many were deleted. I still have some around.
I want to perform a FDR on the Bionic, now that I got ICS.

Specifically I got some apps with data, and some games with data.
How can I be sure that I'm saving the stuff I want, and not saving leftover junk from old apps.?

Ive read some posts on MyBackup others on TitaniumBackupPro. Glancing at them, they initially appear
complex.

What's the suggestion from you experts? How do I save for instance "data" associated with Glu games
and all the in-app purchases made. I want to restore all that stuff after the FDR.

Thanks for the suggestions.

OP
J

jetguat

Reaction score
OK, you might want to connect your phone to a PC and move stuff you want to keep.

I don't know if you can simply put the data back. It may depend on the app. Some apps allow you to export and import data.

Looking at Backup/Restore Contacts, Messages, Apps from Android to Windows PC I don't know if it'll work or not.

Why root? At least your opinion. Also doesn't that void something with Verizon? surely they can tell rooted devices on their
networks. thats not a concern? I know many people root to remove bloatware. is that the primary reason? what else?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why root? At least your opinion. Also doesn't that void something with Verizon? surely they can tell rooted devices on their
networks. thats not a concern? I know many people root to remove bloatware. is that the primary reason? what else?

I'm NOT rooted and I didn't see anything about needing to root for that link I posted.

That being said, when I boot into recovery it says I'm rooted, go figure. Go ahead, boot into recovery like you're going to clear the cache. You'll see a little "qe" followed by 0/0, 0/1 or 1/1. If it says 0/0 you're not rooted, 0/1 you were once rooted and 1/1 currently rooted. Verizon will notice mainly if you take it in for a problem.

There are apps that will only run if rooted. You can also change the speed of the CPU and install ROMs.

OP
J

jetguat

Reaction score
I'm NOT rooted and I didn't see anything about needing to root for that link I posted.

That being said, when I boot into recovery it says I'm rooted, go figure. Go ahead, boot into recovery like you're going to clear the cache. You'll see a little "qe" followed by 0/0, 0/1 or 1/1. If it says 0/0 you're not rooted, 0/1 you were once rooted and 1/1 currently rooted. Verizon will notice mainly if you take it in for a problem.

There are apps that will only run if rooted. You can also change the speed of the CPU and install ROMs.

Do you have experience in how root keepers work? Example.

- say I root my phone
- i remain on stock rom, leave the bloatware, so I'm still able to get OTA
- OTA comes. I install, and as a result as I understand it.. I will lose root

somehow the root keeper should allow me to restore root after the OTA. How? I would guess rootkeeper needs to be root
right? how does it restore once the OTA removed root? Thoughts?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

Someone said when this root checker was discovered that if you did a full fxz the root checker would be set back to 0.

OP
J

jetguat

Reaction score
gotta ask. fxz what does that stand for?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

I don't know exactly what the initials stand for but it is a zipped XML file that is like an image & flashes the phone back to exactly as it would come out of the box from the manufacture. (partitions & all)
So like a restore file of the whole phone settings & files.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

FXZ=Full XML Zip (file), like what sst45jeff alluded to.

Unlike a Factory Reset, the FXZ can be used to change your version.

jayman350

Reaction score
you cannot take your game save data with you unless you are rooted and use some backup program, that was the reason i rooted in the first place way back in the days of the OG DROID. I use Titanium Backup Pro, and have used it to transfer apps & data between at least 5 different phones (4 of the D1, 1 Bionic) and 4 different OS versions (froyo, GB, ICS, JB). As long as you don't try to restore system data everything should be ok. It really isn't that complicated, although TiBu has a lot more capability than i use it for.

my suggestion would be to make a full backup of your internal and external SD cards. That way, after the FDR and the restore, if there is anything missing its still on your pc.

rooting will void your warranty, so its up to you to decide if its worth it for you.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
MyBackup will backup data on unrooted phones. How well it preserves and restores game data, I can't be certain, but it does well with most.

OP
J

jetguat

Reaction score
you cannot take your game save data with you unless you are rooted and use some backup program, that was the reason i rooted in the first place way back in the days of the OG DROID. I use Titanium Backup Pro, and have used it to transfer apps & data between at least 5 different phones (4 of the D1, 1 Bionic) and 4 different OS versions (froyo, GB, ICS, JB). As long as you don't try to restore system data everything should be ok. It really isn't that complicated, although TiBu has a lot more capability than i use it for.

my suggestion would be to make a full backup of your internal and external SD cards. That way, after the FDR and the restore, if there is anything missing its still on your pc.

rooting will void your warranty, so its up to you to decide if its worth it for you.

My phone is over a year old now, probably out of warranty anyway.

bionic207

Reaction score
Weird looked at the reboot and it says 1/1 for me. I have never rooted my phone and bought it new from VZW. What kinds of things can I do to check to see if I am truly rooted?