Restore with Titianium Backup after Factory Default Result

jetguat

Reaction score
I've recently got the official OTA ICS update
I've recently rooted my phone.
I've got the free version of Titanium Backup installed, and ran a backup with all system data + apps.

So I'm about ready to perform my FDR.
Once I'm done. I suppose I should download Titanium Backup again.
Now what I dont want is it to restore all the leftover crap/garbage from the prior year plus.
There are 270ish total apps. Must I dont know what they are, but I didnt intentionally download.

Debating on the restore technical. I want to keep my phone a bit cleaner. So I want calendar, contacts, sms,
etc restored. Then I want only that data for the apps I will reinstall added back. what technical to retore?
just restore all system data. then manually restore the downloaded apps I want?

I'm told the Gingerbread might have left a bunch of junk laying around and its not needed with ICS.
So I want a clean start.. and I guess the essentials back.

Lastly. For the above, is having the "PRO" version of TB better? Not shy about spending money
on a good app, but seriously, the features on the PRO seem a bit more complex than I need, except
maybe for the freeze stuff.

thank for suggestions

jcw122

Reaction score
I wouldn't restore any system apps or information, that could conflict with ICS and cause issues.

Also, you'll need to root before you can restore any of this once you have ICS installed, keep that in mind.

Lastly, I think the paid version IS worth it because the entire re-install process is automated and you don't have to approve each and every app's re installation which is a huge pain.

If you don't want certain apps, just delete them now, re-do the backup (be sure to do the batch operation to delete backups of un-installed programs), and that way it won't install them on ICS.

SMS texts you should backup by yourself, TB won't do that. Same with Contacts....use another app.

z96Cobra

Reaction score
As long as you have your contacts sync'd with your Google account, you don't need any extra software. They will automagically re-install once you log in to your Google account. If you'd like to be extra careful with your contacts, you can go into contacts & export them to a safe location.

The paid version of TiB is well worth the $ IMO, for the reasons that jcw122 stated. NEVER RESTORE SYSTEM APPS/DATA AFTER AN OS UPGRADE! IT'S ASKING FOR TROUBLE! Also, TiB will not save your text messages, you'll need another app (like SMS backup) for that.

OP
J

jetguat

Reaction score
I wouldn't restore any system apps or information, that could conflict with ICS and cause issues.

Also, you'll need to root before you can restore any of this once you have ICS installed, keep that in mind.

Lastly, I think the paid version IS worth it because the entire re-install process is automated and you don't have to approve each and every app's re installation which is a huge pain.

If you don't want certain apps, just delete them now, re-do the backup (be sure to do the batch operation to delete backups of un-installed programs), and that way it won't install them on ICS.

SMS texts you should backup by yourself, TB won't do that. Same with Contacts....use another app.

I did end up paying for the Pro version license. Not yet sure if its worth it, but I'll take your word for it. If I dont restore the system apps+data I presume then
that I would use the "Restore missing apps with data" or the "restore newer versions of user apps" option. And stay away from th "restore all system data", the "restore missing apps+all system data" and the "restore all apps with data"

So the two comments were restoring sytsem data after an OS update is bad news. when would you do that. Maybe this case?

- i've got the OTA to ICS
- I've performed my backup using TB
- I'll perform the factory default reset and let google restore all that it intends to
- after google is done, then I restart TB and observe what "missing apps with data" might remain.
possible restore those. or restore some of the games that were also backed up.

at this point I've got a pretty "clean" running phone. I can now backup everything again. and should I need to FDR again.. then I could
use this backup and "restore all" Is that a reasonable use?

being new to TB. I know with the PRO that i have multiple backups per app. Is there a way to zip or bundle a particular backup and give it
a name and squirrel it away in case I need it?

lm2

Reaction score
. NEVER RESTORE SYSTEM APPS/DATA AFTER AN OS UPGRADE! IT'S ASKING FOR TROUBLE!

I didn't know this and didn't just that a week ago after fxz'ing to ics. What sort of issue should I lookout for, and what's the solution, an fdr?

lm2

Reaction score
I meant that I *did* just that, ie I fxz'd. 246 and then did a full app/system data restore.

z96Cobra

Reaction score
U
I didn't know this and didn't just that a week ago after fxz'ing to ics. What sort of issue should I lookout for, and what's the solution, an fdr?

This is usually only a problem when changing versions of Android, like going from Gingerbread to ICS (or flashing custom ROMs). You may have no issues at all or you may end up not being able to boot your phone. It just depends on the changes Google made to the OS. If you were already running ICS from one of the leaks, you probably won't have any issues.

matjmonk

Reaction score
... snip

The paid version of TiB is well worth the $ IMO, for the reasons that jcw122 stated. NEVER RESTORE SYSTEM APPS/DATA AFTER AN OS UPGRADE! IT'S ASKING FOR TROUBLE! Also, TiB will not save your text messages, you'll need another app (like SMS backup) for that.

Actually the latest version of TIBU will backup/restore your text messages and call logs, I use it all the time since I'm a flash-aholic. Also with TIBU you can save your preferences so that even after a factory reset and loading a new ROM, your preferences will be there once you reinstall TIBU. Another thing recently added to TIBU is the ability to create an "update.zip" of your user apps and data and flash that in recovery. I just tried that when I installed Evolved and it was way faster that trying to download all the apps again.

Cheers

OP
J

jetguat

Reaction score
Actually the latest version of TIBU will backup/restore your text messages and call logs, I use it all the time since I'm a flash-aholic. Also with TIBU you can save your preferences so that even after a factory reset and loading a new ROM, your preferences will be there once you reinstall TIBU. Another thing recently added to TIBU is the ability to create an "update.zip" of your user apps and data and flash that in recovery. I just tried that when I installed Evolved and it was way faster that trying to download all the apps again.

Cheers

noob questions on TIBU.

Q1:
I've got the paid version. I learned that you can restore SMS/MMS. In my ICS backup there were two.
Messages (SMS & MMS) - shows in yellow font with the TIBU icon
Phone/Messaging Storage (SMS/MMS/APN) in green font.

I believe I restore the yellow one. dont know what the green one is.
Which would restore the call logs?

Q2: where/how are the TIBU preferences saved?

Q3: I tried to read about the update.zip. I dont yet have dropbox, google drive or anything setup. so write now, my backup is sitting on /mnt/sdcard-ext
My external SD card is pretty fully. Can I simply "copy" that whole TitaniumBackup folder and put it on a PC? That current backup was done after the
OTA to ICS, but before I did a FDR. I want to make a new backup now after the FDR. but I dont have room. I dont yet understand how to manage multiple backups. how to label or give them names. and then should I need to.. how to know where to find/select the correct version of the backup to restore.

Can you explain a bit? your thoughts?

Q4:
If I do enable dropbox or google drive, do the backups still sit on my external sd card? or only on cloud?

thanks folks for the help

matjmonk

Reaction score
noob questions on TIBU.

Q1:
I've got the paid version. I learned that you can restore SMS/MMS. In my ICS backup there were two.
Messages (SMS & MMS) - shows in yellow font with the TIBU icon
Phone/Messaging Storage (SMS/MMS/APN) in green font.

I believe I restore the yellow one. dont know what the green one is.
Which would restore the call logs?

-- I use the one named "Messages (SMS & MMS)" which is an XML file the other is for messaging preferances and since I use handcent, it doesn't apply. As far as the call log, mine is named "Call Log" in yellow.

Q2: where/how are the TIBU preferences saved?

-- not sure, but I would guess it's in the same directory as the backup files on the external SD card.

Q3: I tried to read about the update.zip. I dont yet have dropbox, google drive or anything setup. so write now, my backup is sitting on /mnt/sdcard-ext
My external SD card is pretty fully. Can I simply "copy" that whole TitaniumBackup folder and put it on a PC? That current backup was done after the
OTA to ICS, but before I did a FDR. I want to make a new backup now after the FDR. but I dont have room. I dont yet understand how to manage multiple backups. how to label or give them names. and then should I need to.. how to know where to find/select the correct version of the backup to restore.

Can you explain a bit? your thoughts?

-- you can copy that folder off to your PC and in fact I do once in a while. I'm guessing that the backups weren't gone after the OTA update, it's just that the SD cards got switched around from what they were in GB. You can tell TB to search the whole device for your backup location. I also don't keep more than one backup version so I don't know about labeling them. If you're worried about space on your external SD card, I would suggest getting a 32 GB since they are really pretty cheap.

Q4:
If I do enable dropbox or google drive, do the backups still sit on my external sd card? or only on cloud?

-- no idea, not a big fan of "cloud" storage.

thanks folks for the help

see my answers in line.

cheers