Question about factory data resets and backed up files...

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So I'm having a few issues with my S3 that I know will be fixed with a FDR. I'm having trouble downloading the recent OTA, a problem I've had before on my X2 and was fixed by a FDR. Problem is I have a lot of apps on here right now, and I really don't want to lose all of them and the data within. So I'm rooted with TitaniumBackup, I assume I can backup "apps only," FDR, restore "apps only," and problem solved? But I also remember when I first set up my phone, as in coming from my Rezound, a large majority of those apps auto-reinstalled. Convenient, but you lose all the data/settings. So I guess my question(s) is how can I turn that off so it doesn't interfere with titanium backup and is it likely that restoring a lot of those apps, mostly games/lighting/customization apps, nothing too fancy, will bring back this problem? Or is it most likely a "system" app or setting that is causing the issue?

Hope this makes sense. The OTA reminder keeps popping up and all I can do is defer it. Also, if I FDR, I should maintain root. So as long as I restore before taking the OTA which breaks root, should be no problem, right? Thank you for any help!!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I moved your thread to the GS3 section for some more specialized eyes.

And as far as doing an FDR without restoring your apps via the market, all you need to do is uncheck the option to do so when signing into your account. I do not remember off hand what the wording is but just take a look at the options, you should be able to figure it out by the description.

Just being rooted should not block the OTA but if you deleted anything as far as system apps, that can cause problems. Otherwise you SHOULD be able to restore your market apps via TIBU and then take the OTA but I would suggest waiting until afterwards just in case.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I considered that, but didn't think this was a GS3 question and could benefit all android devices and users, but alrighty then.

I do not remember checking an option that asked TO HAVE those apps automatically restored, but I'll keep an eye out.

And I know being rooted won't block it, I'm actually not sure what is, but I'm pretty sure a FDR will fix it. I've deleted nothing, just have some stuff disabled. Though just to clarify, you suggest holding off till after the OTA, but wouldn't waiting till after defeat the purpose if you have to be rooted to restore from TiBu and you know the OTA breaks root? Or did something change?

Well since it's now in the GS3 forum, guess I'll add another detail, but when the phone shuts down to start the install process, it shows the little android guy with his stomach open and something happening, but then a red x appears over said stomach, then on the Samsung screen it says "Custom Device" or something like that, and when it starts it says OTA install failed.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
The option will have to do with syncing, I am tempted to do a reset just to check it out and have a more definitive answer for you. However, worst case scenario you could always just open up the market and stop them all from downloading.

And I do not know the specifics of how the GS3 and the update works. Typically yes, an OTA will break root. I was working on the assumption you would then be rooting again afterwards, at which point you could do the restore. I always restore everything on the last step pending something goes wrong and I have to start over, but that is just a preference of mine.

Have you tried enabling the apps, rebooting, and then trying the OTA? Not sure if them being disabled would effect it but IMO its worth a shot before doing an FDR.

Last edited: