Best online Retailer for Maxx HD

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
I'm in the market for upgrading my DX to a Maxx HD. I'm on a family plan and although my line is not eligible for upgrade, another line in my family share plan is, which I was going to swap for mine. I did this with my wifes phone a year ago on LetsTalk.com no problem. I tried to order a Maxx HD on Amazon and this was their response:

"You won't be able to switch your phone between different lines for the first 181 days of service if you choose to order through AmazonWireless. While your service provider may offer this option when ordering directly through their stores, this service isn't available on our website.
If you move your device to an alternate line within the first 181 days, you'll be subject to additional charges by AmazonWireless of up to $250 per phone, plus applicable taxes."

Is this the norm for all non-Verizon retailers or just for Amazon? What is a good retailer to use in terms of price and service? I live in Taxachusetts so I'm trying to beat the sales tax.

OP
S

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
Wow. Lots of great advice here. I ended up getting the Maxx HD at Wirefly. Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hope this is not too late but I believe wirefly has the same policy as Amazon. Costco and best buy do not though.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
StiffOneEye said:
Wow. Lots of great advice here. I ended up getting the Maxx HD at Wirefly. Thanks.

Not very many people on forum at 3am to give advice and especially many that are familiar with your specific needs

OP
S

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
Hope this is not too late but I believe wirefly has the same policy as Amazon. Costco and best buy do not though.

I was able to order through Wirefly so they do not have the same policy and I posted originally yesterday afternoon, not at 3 am. Its all good.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
StiffOneEye said:
I was able to order through Wirefly so they do not have the same policy and I posted originally yesterday afternoon, not at 3 am. Its all good.

My apologies, you are very right! Sorry about that...if I saw it then, I would've surely jumped in. And thanks for your understanding, especially after my post. Double check with wirefly. If that is the case, then that adds one more place for me to shop.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And one little tidbit I can offer you...make sure you activate the phone on the tiered line first. Once it's activated on that line and renews that contract, you can put the phone on the unlimited line without losing your unlimited (unless Verizon changed that possibility recently). If you activate it on the unlimited line first, because it is a new, never activated esn, it automatically changes the contract to tiered data.

OP
S

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
I'm totally lost now. All I did was an eligibility switch. Could you please expand some more?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm not sure what an eligibility switch is but if you have unlimited data and don't want to lose it, you have to purchase the phone at full retail, buy used, add a phone you already have, etc. If you buy a phone at a subsidized price then Verizon forces you to get a tiered plan.

The only way around this is to buy the subsidized phone on a tiered data lines upgrade, activate it on that line. Once it's activated on the tiered line, then you can move it to the unlimited data line without losing unlimited on that line.

If you are already on a tiered data line or the family share data, then you are fine. You only have to worry about the above if you have unlimited data and want to keep it.

IwantYourBrains

Reaction score
First post, btw. I've been lurking for awhile now as I've owned a Droid X and Bionic. I was due for an upgrade and purchased my Maxx HD for $199 at Best Buy today. Apparently, they will match Amazon's prices now. Might be useful information for someone else.

OP
S

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
Good tip! But no tax at wirefly. In Ma, you pay sales tax on full retail price not the price you actually pay

roach

Reaction score
And one little tidbit I can offer you...make sure you activate the phone on the tiered line first. Once it's activated on that line and renews that contract, you can put the phone on the unlimited line without losing your unlimited (unless Verizon changed that possibility recently). If you activate it on the unlimited line first, because it is a new, never activated esn, it automatically changes the contract to tiered data.
not sure what you mean so I will start here,I have a family plan also and ordered from newegg 199.00 no tax and also have a unlimited plan,I do not want to lose my unlimited data plan like you mentioned,can you break it down a little more for me please,I always purchased my phones threw verizion so I didn't have to worry about that.
I'm still waiting for it too arrive.
THANKS

HeavyC

Reaction score
It is my understanding that using an upgrade on any line and then moving to the upgraded phone to a line with unlimited from any of these third party stores (NewEgg, Wirefly, Let's Talk), will result in an extra charge of $250+ dollars, just as the op noted from Amazon.

I actually tried to do an eligibility switch with Wirefly yesterday and they would not let me keep my unlimited plan, so I had to cancel the order.

My next step is to upgrade the tiered line through Verizon for $300 and swap the sims out after it arrives, or just pay full retail for the phone.

HeavyC

Reaction score
not sure what you mean so I will start here,I have a family plan also and ordered from newegg 199.00 no tax and also have a unlimited plan,I do not want to lose my unlimited data plan like you mentioned,can you break it down a little more for me please,I always purchased my phones threw verizion so I didn't have to worry about that.
I'm still waiting for it too arrive.
THANKS

Are you upgrading a different line than your unlimited line? And you are planning to move that phone to your unlimited line? I'd be really careful if so. Newegg, just like Wirefly, has a policy where if you move an upgraded phone to another line within 180 days of purchase, they will automatically charge you $250+ dollars. See my above post.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Roach, if you want to keep your unlimited, then make sure you activate the phone on the line with tiered data first. Once it's activated on the tiered line, it will update that contract. Then you can move it to your unlimited line.

And as heavyc said, make sure newegg doesn't have a fee if you switch the phone to another line before 6 months. Amazon does charge you $250 if you move the phone to another line before 6 months. Wirefly used to and may still. Costco does not. I am not sure about Newegg.