Best launcher for battery?

kioshi

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering... Since I think my phone has poor battery life, is there any launcher that helps extending it? My favorite launcher is ADW but if any of them is easier on my battery I'm willing to change. Thanks a lot for any answers.

Sent from my Motorola Milestone 2 using Tapatalk

louy99

Reaction score
Are you rooted? You can save battery with over/underclocking. Some custom roms do a good job too

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
kioshi

kioshi

Reaction score
Yup, I am rooted my friend. I use OverclockWidget (iirc it's free) but if you have any program that can do it better, even paid ones, lemme know if you may.

But I keep reading that LauncherPro is easier on the battery although I liked GoLaucher and ADW better... I wonder if it's true?

Thanks!

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your rooted check out JuiceDefender. It helps out quite a lot once you get setting profiles under your belt.

OP
kioshi

kioshi

Reaction score
If your rooted check out JuiceDefender. It helps out quite a lot once you get setting profiles under your belt.

Thanks a lot chevyboyz! And it's free :)

I have no interest in overclocking my Droid 2 (well Milestone 2, almost the same, only difference is that Milestone was released a few months later and Motorola added 720p video recording), I used a program I uninstalled to get it to up to 1200 (varying from 400-1200) and when I was playing some 3d-intensive games the phone got REALLY hot so I'm scared of overclocking it. Thanks a ton for your tip!

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I use JD and I have no issues and I don't have an extended battery either

Swype with an Aloha from Hawaii

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
oh and I have Launcher Pro but IMO its really how the user sets it up to ur customization

Swype with an Aloha from Hawaii

OP
kioshi

kioshi

Reaction score
Yeah I hope that with JD and an overclocking program to set my cpu to 400-1000 (as I wrote, setting it to 1200 max got the phone really hot so I won't overclock it).

I asked a lot about LauncherPro because it's the only Launcher that I've read about that people said it improved their battery life. I like ADW a lot, but maybe I can adapt if that's really the case (if JD, the underclock thing and the other program I got from JD's developer - Autokiller memory something, also free, don't work) I'll give it a shot.

OP
kioshi

kioshi

Reaction score
If its anything like a task killer i would uninstall it bc they usually eat up battery instead of save it. Also what temp did your phone get to when it got hot OC'ed to 1.2ghz? If you dont remember an estimate will do. Also check out the thread below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

Well since it's from the JD fellows they say it's much better than a task killer and explain that regular task killers do exactly that, kill your battery faster.

It's this one: AutoKiller Memory Optimizer - Android app on AppBrain

I can't give you an estimate, sorry, just say that the phone was geting uncomfortable to hold, it was really hot when I was playing Dungeon Hunter, such that I stopped playing because it felt way too hot for me. Then I set it to max 1000 and everything went back to normal. Anyhow I uninstalled that app and am trying SetCPU, I'll overclock it a bit and see if the same thing happens. I was using Droid Overclock when the phone started to almost 'burn' in my hands.

But somehow it seems JD and SetCPU are working well... I've been with the screen turned on all the time, installing apps and the battery is fine. I expected it to be at 30-40%ish by now and it's at 70% :)

darksideSound

Reaction score
Did you try a lower voltage band in the scaling frequencies? Try Droid Overclock and figure out some profiles after you get cooler.

=zz=.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
kioshi

kioshi

Reaction score
Actually I'm very happy with SetCPU because the widget shows at which speed your device is currently running, Droid Overclock didn't do that, at least I didn't find any option. I dunno what I did that now I can only go as far as 1000, I'll reinstall it and see if I can get it back to going as far as 1200 and see if my device heats up, thanks.