Best launcher for battery?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by kioshi, Mar 10, 2011.

1. kioshi

kioshi New Member

Hi guys, I was wondering... Since I think my phone has poor battery life, is there any launcher that helps extending it? My favorite launcher is ADW but if any of them is easier on my battery I'm willing to change. Thanks a lot for any answers.

Sent from my Motorola Milestone 2 using Tapatalk
  2. louy99

louy99 New Member

Are you rooted? You can save battery with over/underclocking. Some custom roms do a good job too

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  3. kioshi

kioshi New Member

Yup, I am rooted my friend. I use OverclockWidget (iirc it's free) but if you have any program that can do it better, even paid ones, lemme know if you may.

But I keep reading that LauncherPro is easier on the battery although I liked GoLaucher and ADW better... I wonder if it's true?

Thanks!
  4. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

If your rooted check out JuiceDefender. It helps out quite a lot once you get setting profiles under your belt.
  5. kioshi

kioshi New Member

Thanks a lot chevyboyz! And it's free :)

I have no interest in overclocking my Droid 2 (well Milestone 2, almost the same, only difference is that Milestone was released a few months later and Motorola added 720p video recording), I used a program I uninstalled to get it to up to 1200 (varying from 400-1200) and when I was playing some 3d-intensive games the phone got REALLY hot so I'm scared of overclocking it. Thanks a ton for your tip!
  6. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

Its no problem. Glad i could help out
  7. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

I use JD and I have no issues and I don't have an extended battery either

Swype with an Aloha from Hawaii
  8. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

The Princess knows her JD now
  9. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

oh and I have Launcher Pro but IMO its really how the user sets it up to ur customization

Swype with an Aloha from Hawaii
  10. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

+1 for launcherpro. I got the launcherpro+ just to mainly donate
  11. kioshi

kioshi New Member

Yeah I hope that with JD and an overclocking program to set my cpu to 400-1000 (as I wrote, setting it to 1200 max got the phone really hot so I won't overclock it).

I asked a lot about LauncherPro because it's the only Launcher that I've read about that people said it improved their battery life. I like ADW a lot, but maybe I can adapt if that's really the case (if JD, the underclock thing and the other program I got from JD's developer - Autokiller memory something, also free, don't work) I'll give it a shot.
  12. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

13. kioshi

kioshi New Member

Well since it's from the JD fellows they say it's much better than a task killer and explain that regular task killers do exactly that, kill your battery faster.

It's this one: AutoKiller Memory Optimizer - Android app on AppBrain

I can't give you an estimate, sorry, just say that the phone was geting uncomfortable to hold, it was really hot when I was playing Dungeon Hunter, such that I stopped playing because it felt way too hot for me. Then I set it to max 1000 and everything went back to normal. Anyhow I uninstalled that app and am trying SetCPU, I'll overclock it a bit and see if the same thing happens. I was using Droid Overclock when the phone started to almost 'burn' in my hands.

But somehow it seems JD and SetCPU are working well... I've been with the screen turned on all the time, installing apps and the battery is fine. I expected it to be at 30-40%ish by now and it's at 70% :)
  14. darksideSound

darksideSound New Member

Did you try a lower voltage band in the scaling frequencies? Try Droid Overclock and figure out some profiles after you get cooler.

=zz=.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  15. kioshi

kioshi New Member

Actually I'm very happy with SetCPU because the widget shows at which speed your device is currently running, Droid Overclock didn't do that, at least I didn't find any option. I dunno what I did that now I can only go as far as 1000, I'll reinstall it and see if I can get it back to going as far as 1200 and see if my device heats up, thanks.
  16. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast New Member

You can't go past 1000 because setCPU can't actually overclock your phone. You need to use droid overclock to set the processor's max frequency, then use setCPU to set the profiles it runs at. setCPU is not an overclocking app, it is a frequency control app. I hope that's not as confusing as I think it sounds haha.
  17. kioshi

kioshi New Member

Oh I understand, thanks. But I was certain that when I installed it I could go to 1200. Maybe it's my memory failing, I've been too sick, or maybe it's because I uninstalled Droid Overclock and installed SetCPU without rebooting so perhaps it was still 'memorized' by my phone but not anymore.

Anyhow here it says it overclocks: SetCPU for Root Users - Android app on AppBrain

And look at this comment from some user:

'Works great on all my current and past Android devices! HTC Dream - 625 Mhz HTC Magic - 625 Mhz HTC Desire Z - 1.42 Ghz Samsung Captivate - 1.4Ghz Nexus One - 1.2 Ghz Motorola Xoom - 1.5 Ghz (insanely fast!) Sadly, my Motorola Atrix cannot be overclocked yet...' - later in the comment he mentions that he thinks his Atrix cannot be OC'ed because of the locked bootstrapper but that doesn't make sense since DO does it for the locked Droid/Milestone 2.... Well who knows, the guy says he has like 10 android devices lol, maybe not a reliable source.
  18. NiceGuysFinishLast

I could be wrong... That's just what I remember reading a lot in the D2G forums... I don't mess with OCing, 1.2GHz is fast enough for me haha
  19. kioshi

kioshi New Member

Wow now I was surprised. I thought the D2Global was 1000Mhz. I went to phonearena.com and strangely, although they were realeased almost at the same time, The D2G has a 1.2 Ghz processor and 6500mb of internal memory, the Milestone 2 has 8192 internal, 1.0 processor and can record at 720p. Motorola could give the best of each to both phones lol.

I actually read some complaints of the Droid 2 heating up too much in other forums, I have no idea if they were talking about D2G or the first one, but I can assure you that in intense use my phone never got really hot until I decided to try the Overclocking thing to 1.2 - maybe some people got unlucky with the 1.2 processor? Well who knows.

And about the Launchers thing... Decided to install LauncherPro to give it a go again. One thing I noticed is that when I press the button on a blank area and select 'create widget' the menu appears almost instantly (normal widgets, not specific LP widgets, those are instant), while on ADW launcher when I chose 'create widget' it took like 3-5 seconds for the menu to appear. I'm kinda tired of messing with my device now and reorganizing everything again under the new Laucher, but I'm starting to think LP is faster. Oh the app drawer also animates more smoothly than ADW (I used the 3D effect on both) and sometimes it also took like 3 seconds on ADW for the apps in the Drawer to appear, I pressed the button and just got a black screen until the apps decided to show up. In LP, it's always instant.
  20. NiceGuysFinishLast

I've been running LauncherPro since the day I got my first D2G (on number 2, I washed number 1....) and I love it. Faster and smoother than the stock launcher (especially on fission) and WAY more customizable. I've got 2 docks for 10 icons, and each one has a swipe action... access to 20 apps/functions right there. I love it.
Search tags for this page
a launcher to help battery life
android launcher that saves battery
android launcher with best battery life
battery friendly launcher
best android launcher for battery

best android launcher for battery life

best android launcher save battery
best launcher for android that saves battery
best launcher for battery life
best launcher to save battery
launcher that saves battery