Best gps/nav app

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
Looking for a good gps/ navigation app that will function using gps signals and not rely in wireless network data like Google maps and navigation does.. (ex: when I'm in and area where Verizon doesn't have service but still need to use navigation )

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmm I wonder if there even are any. I always use Google Maps and never had an issue with it not working where I went (and I have been to a lot of farm towns too).

Seems like if there was one it would be a really gigantic app because all of the road data would have to be on the phone. I believe that all the GPS does is find your point in the world, so it cannot transfer data.

OP
J

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
Not sure but I had another thread open on this topic and people kept saying to find a different app that doesn't rely on data unlike Google so again, I'm not completely sure.

Reaction score
Yeah until the phones start coming with like atleast 50gig internal memory you wont see an app like that

Maps would consume about 6-8gigs of data and take your phone prob about atleast 8 hours on wifi and 3 battery charges

Just use google maps, its superior to anything else on our phones, its free, and even if you go into an area where you lack signal the navigation still works though you cant see a map. I dunno ive had my phone since nov and only once have i lost reception for long enough that i was driving blind for a min or so but the directions still worked and named the streets so i was fine.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
There is one called CoPilot that supposedly stores maps on the phone. Its $30 though, so I have not tried it.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
Might take a look at mapdroyd... that may do what you're looking for.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Buy yourself a cheap Tom Tom or Garmin and stick it in the glove box. That or stick with GMaps, even if you drop service, it will still get you where you need to go. BTW, where are you going with no Verizon coverage? Ive hit dead zones out in the country, but never truly lost coverage.

aldaudio

Reaction score
i used the phones navigation to get me from central ohio to myrtle beach. i only ran into a few problems.

in a country part of south carolina it had a warning in the notification bar that it was data roaming. am i gonna get charged for that on my bill? it never gave me an option to stop navigating.

also, at a couple points early on in the trip, it kind of stopped navigating. it would say I still had like 5.4 miles to go, even tho I had driven 1+ miles since then. just had to exit then go back in, but still a little annoying.

Taegost

Reaction score
I believe the Google Maps app has an option of caching a portion of the maps so you can use it offline. I know I saw a thread about that several months ago, I think the guy was talking about traveling to Europe and he cached all the maps around where he was going to be so he could still use the navigation.

OP
J

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
Buy yourself a cheap Tom Tom or Garmin and stick it in the glove box. That or stick with GMaps, even if you drop service, it will still get you where you need to go. BTW, where are you going with no Verizon coverage? Ive hit dead zones out in the country, but never truly lost coverage.

I live in Oregon and I am going to and area on northern Washington near Canadian border and is pretty much in the middle of no where. I know there is a large section of the county that I have to use my families pre paid att phone to call or text anyone. So with that in mine would my Droid be able to use other carriers data to use navigation and use map when Verizon hits dead zones or doesn't have service but other carriers do?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I second buying a stand alone GPS if you want non Google Nav.

I just spent a week in the Smoky Mountains. Deep inside the GSMNP was the first time I have seen a no signal icon on my Droid since I have owned it. I still had Google Nav the whole time. I assume that there was enough of the park map cached from before I lost signal. Inside the park all day with no cell signal I was able to route myself back to my chalet in Gatlinburg without a hiccup in Google Nav

OP
J

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
So do you need to do something for the Google to cache the area you need or does it do it automatically sometimes ?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no need to buy a standalone GPS unless you really want one. There are certainly nav apps that locally store map data. CoPilot was mentioned above but I can't think of other options off the top of my head.

So do you need to do something for the Google to cache the area you need or does it do it automatically sometimes ?
Your route is cached. If you deviate from it and lose data coverage you'll be SOL. IIRC there are apps to cache map data for it but you have to manually precache maps at all the zoom levels that you require with such solutions. I can't provide more info as that's a non-starter for me.

Looking for a good gps/ navigation app that will function using gps signals and not rely in wireless network data like Google maps and navigation does.
Just to clarify, Google Maps Nav does use GPS. However, it also requires data for maps and other info. The only thing that the GPS receiver provides is latitude and longitude. It's up to the app to provide everything else.

Hmm I wonder if there even are any.
Appbrain.com is a great way to find out. ;)

Just use google maps, its superior to anything else on our phones
It's not superior if locally stored maps are required per the OP. :icon_rolleyes:

No app is one-size-fits-all, not even the ever-popular Google Maps Nav.

Just use google maps, its superior to anything else on our phones, its free, and even if you go into an area where you lack signal the navigation still works though you cant see a map. I dunno ive had my phone since nov and only once have i lost reception for long enough that i was driving blind for a min or so but the directions still worked and named the streets so i was fine.
That's great if you're already navigating and lose data. Try starting to navigate without data.

Last edited:

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
That's great if you're already navigating and lose data. Try starting to navigate without data.

I just did with success. As stated above I was navigating with data close to the GSMNP with a signal. I am pretty familiar with the area so I do not need GPS to go everywhere I wanted to go. I started navigation late in the afternoon one day (I had not used navigation that particular day previously at all) inside the park with no signal. I was able to get full map turn by turn back to my cabin outside the park with no signal for the majority of the trip inside the park. Navigating close to the areas the days before must have cached maps.

For those familiar with the area, I hiked to the top of Mt. LeConte one day. The shortest foot route to the top is 5 miles. I did not have signal on the road to the trail head for many miles before that, and no signal at the top. I was able to pull up maps locating myself with my blue location arrow and locate my cabin on the map which I had previously "stared" so I could wave in the direction of those who where to lazy to come with me.

OP
J

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
So again, what if the area I am traveling through has att or sprint coverage ?would I have data problems then ? Or does roaming not work that way with data?