Droid GPS with Google navigation

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
Getting ready to go camping and I know that along the way I will be losing cell service. Will the gps and the navigation still work? I know there is a 'use gps' option in the settings so will that allow me to use the navigation even if I don't have service ?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Zroid

Reaction score
I think the quick answer is yes and no. I am quite sure Moto Droid uses GPS radio to lock on to global positioning satellites so in theory it should work without Verizon towers present, however, without Verizon's tower/signal you won't be able to get map refresh since no data can be received.

OP
J

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
This is frustrating because no one knows for sure and I need to know if I will lose navigation in the middle of my vacation or if I should go buy a gps from the store...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The GPS receiver definitely works just fine without coverage since it determines your location using the GPS satellites.

It's your GPS app -- they're 2 separate and distinct things despite how people seem to tend to lump them together -- that may be an issue without coverage if it relies on data. Find a suitable app (i.e. not Google Maps/Nav).

Last edited:
OP
J

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
I see. Do you know of a good nav app that would be fully functional with only gps signals?