Droid GPS with Google navigation

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Jvandyke13, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jvandyke13

Jvandyke13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Getting ready to go camping and I know that along the way I will be losing cell service. Will the gps and the navigation still work? I know there is a 'use gps' option in the settings so will that allow me to use the navigation even if I don't have service ?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. Zroid

Zroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the quick answer is yes and no. I am quite sure Moto Droid uses GPS radio to lock on to global positioning satellites so in theory it should work without Verizon towers present, however, without Verizon's tower/signal you won't be able to get map refresh since no data can be received.

3. Jvandyke13

Jvandyke13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is frustrating because no one knows for sure and I need to know if I will lose navigation in the middle of my vacation or if I should go buy a gps from the store...

4. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The GPS receiver definitely works just fine without coverage since it determines your location using the GPS satellites.

It's your GPS app -- they're 2 separate and distinct things despite how people seem to tend to lump them together -- that may be an issue without coverage if it relies on data. Find a suitable app (i.e. not Google Maps/Nav).

#4 takeshi, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  5. Jvandyke13

Jvandyke13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see. Do you know of a good nav app that would be fully functional with only gps signals?