Best app for initiating a phone call while driving (without looking at phone)

OP
kimintenn

kimintenn

Reaction score
Found a very easy way to make calls without looking down... unfortunately it makes making a call a little too easy! I'm using Go Launcher EX, so not sure if it's a stock option or not. You can set "swipe up" and "swipe down" as pretty much anything you want so I used it to setup a direct dial. It works really well, but it's super sensitive so I find myself dialing the two numbers I set up all the time so I don't think it's going to work for me.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
At first I made a lot of mistakes with gestures on Go but got used to them very quickly, rarely swipe by mistake anymore. Good find

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

OP
kimintenn

kimintenn

Reaction score
At first I made a lot of mistakes with gestures on Go but got used to them very quickly, rarely swipe by mistake anymore. Good find

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

That's good to know! Maybe I should try it a little longer then. I was calling them almost every time I touched the screen. It's very sensitive. Definitely an easy way to make calls while driving if you have two main numbers you dial a lot.

With Go Launcher EX, there are just two swipe motions, right?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct. Up and down. Which ever you do least is the one I'd use. I swipe up less often than down by accident so I set down as my app drawer open. It got me used to not swiping down real quickly.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

RockinRealtor

Reaction score
You could also set the Go Launcher up or down swipe / glide up or down action to launch the voice dialer application and speak. I realize you're back to voice recognition but if you can master that, I've found it much less cumbersome to swipe down and speak than holding the search button while driving.

My challenge is waking up the screen on my phone without having to fumble for that tiny power button while I'm driving. So far, I can find apps to turn the screen off, ie., shake to turn off, but there must be a way to turn the screen on or wake it up without having to press the power button.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got Widget Locker set to wake my phone with either the power or volume buttons. I have it set to unlock with either the home button for home screen or back arrow to take it back to where I was when it went to sleep. Again, not perfect, but it beats the crap out of the stock method of waking and unlocking
You could add the voice dialer to the lock screen, eliminating the need to unlock the phone, using WL. Better yet, if there is a number, or more than one, you call frequently you can set a direct dial shortcut on Widget Locker lock screen, then all you'd have to do is wake the phone, tap the direct dial you want, phone makes the call.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My lock screen with a direct dial to my wife as an example

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here I've resized it to make it easier to tap. I used Desktop Visualizer, free on the market, to make a direct dial widget and resized it on Widget Locker lock screen

Support Our Troops!!!
<><