Best app for initiating a phone call while driving (without looking at phone)

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by kimintenn, Jan 18, 2012.

1. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

Does anyone have a suggestion for an app that I can use that will allow me to call someone without having to actually look down at the phone? The closest thing I've found so far is using the Car Dock mode where you can have fairly large icons to tap for the people you call most frequently. Unfortunately that still requires looking down at your phone and away from the road for a second. Is there a better option out there?

I know I could use the voice dialer, but I have to look at the phone to see where to tap to activate the voice commands.
  2. tommyg562000

tommyg562000 Member

Press and hold the search button, that activates the voice control. Then just say "call john" or whatever the persons name is.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  3. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

Are you talking about the little microphone up near the google search bar? If so, the icon is so small I have trouble finding it without really looking down at my phone.
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I would be interested in the same thing, maybe if a long press of the volume rocker was a shortcut to voice dialing - you'd never have to look at your phone to make a call :)
  5. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

Yes, that would be quite handy!

I found a great suggestion in another thread... the app is just called "Sign". There is also a free version called Sight Lite and the only difference that I can tell is that you only get 3 people with the free version, but that's all I really need. As long as the program is running, all you have to do is draw the symbol you assigned to your contact. I just used the first initial and a circle for one of them.

Very easy to setup! I just made my "drawings" very easy to do with my thumb so that I won't have to look down while driving. The only trouble is I guess you'd have to open the app before you started driving. Though I think there is an app to keep it working in the background... not sure what that will do to battery life and general speed.
  6. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

No, he's talking about the search button on the bottom right side of the phone. If you press and hold once, then choose voice search as the default.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  7. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

Ok, that is REALLY cool! Didn't realize you could do that. Only problem is it doesn't seem to choose someone out of my contacts every time. I tried to use it and no joke, it tried calling someone with a similar name in another country! LOL I wonder if there is a way to make it more specific on the voice commands so it gets it the first time?
  8. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

There are several apps in the market that might be more accurate and you can do the same thing with the search button, but you might just try tinkering with it. I think it learns from you the more you use it.

9. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

I'll look around and see if I can find a better voice app. This thing doesn't recognize much of what I'm saying and I'm sitting in a perfectly quiet room. Now, if it would learn what I'm talking about over time then that would be great. I even tried to just say "Dial and then the number, but that didnt work either. Tried first and last names, still hit or miss. I love that it's so easy to launch though and that you dont have to have someone running to use it. If I could only figure out how it wants me to talk. (maybe it doesn't like southern accents?):blink:;)
  10. joseserna08

joseserna08 New Member

I used to use vlingo.. free in the market, and it does an excellent job of recognizing what you say..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  11. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

Lol, maybe you're right about the southern accent. I've used it since I had my og Droid and find it very useful. There's an app called voice actions that I tried awhile back, you could give that a shot.

12. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

Have you tried vlingo with the Rezound? There is a note that says it wont work with it. Bummer.
    If it's the accent, I'm in trouble! ;-) I will check out Voice Actions.
  13. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What I did was made a bigger icon then the stock 1x1 on my phone. I made it 2x3 so I could basically touch the bottom third of my home screen and it initiated the Sign app. Go Launcher allows changing widget sizes and I make my own widgets with Desktop Visualizer.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post
  14. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

How hard is desktop visualizer to use? A bigger icon would be awesome!
  15. mountainbikermark

Hold home screen to select widget, choose the size DV widget you want (1x1 to 4x4), it shows up on the screen. Tap it, choose icon for it ( stock app icon, photo gallery, etc) , choose the app to launch. That's it
    With Go Launcher you can resize them to oddball places and sizes as well.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk
  16. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

Found a very easy way to make calls without looking down... unfortunately it makes making a call a little too easy! I'm using Go Launcher EX, so not sure if it's a stock option or not. You can set "swipe up" and "swipe down" as pretty much anything you want so I used it to setup a direct dial. It works really well, but it's super sensitive so I find myself dialing the two numbers I set up all the time so I don't think it's going to work for me.
  17. mountainbikermark

At first I made a lot of mistakes with gestures on Go but got used to them very quickly, rarely swipe by mistake anymore. Good find

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
  18. kimintenn

kimintenn New Member

That's good to know! Maybe I should try it a little longer then. I was calling them almost every time I touched the screen. It's very sensitive. Definitely an easy way to make calls while driving if you have two main numbers you dial a lot.

With Go Launcher EX, there are just two swipe motions, right?
  19. mountainbikermark

Correct. Up and down. Which ever you do least is the one I'd use. I swipe up less often than down by accident so I set down as my app drawer open. It got me used to not swiping down real quickly.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
  20. RockinRealtor

RockinRealtor New Member

You could also set the Go Launcher up or down swipe / glide up or down action to launch the voice dialer application and speak. I realize you're back to voice recognition but if you can master that, I've found it much less cumbersome to swipe down and speak than holding the search button while driving.

My challenge is waking up the screen on my phone without having to fumble for that tiny power button while I'm driving. So far, I can find apps to turn the screen off, ie., shake to turn off, but there must be a way to turn the screen on or wake it up without having to press the power button.
Search tags for this page
(no ads)
bionic voice commands southern accent
call waiting on rezound

conference call while driving

how do i command my droid to call someone while im driving

how to use call waiting on htc rezound