Battery questions

cobramn99

Reaction score
Is this normal battery life for a RAZR maxx? Battery life seems to be going down fast. I bought the phone new from Verizon 3 months ago and it seems like the longer I have it the worse the battery life gets. It also takes over 5 hours to charge the phone even if I am not using it. Am I missing something? Screen brightness is set at less than 20%. I can barely see it trying to get battery life up.

a6f84ff7-d486-516a.jpg

a6f84ff7-d49f-2faf.jpg

a6f84ff7-d4b4-c555.jpg

a6f84ff7-d4c6-5b43.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
In a few words... yes... you have a very poor 4g signal. That eats battery like crazy...

I'm moving this to the battery sub forum :)

OP
C

cobramn99

Reaction score
Today was much better. I tried to run wifi more when available. It still takes 5+ hours to charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

suzenyabilson

Reaction score
Hi, DROID RAZR MAXX is packed with power. On one full charge, you can host a marathon (as in more than 21-hour) conference call — that's the longest talk time of any 4G smartphone. Whip through the web for 7 hours straight. Get your movie fix with 15 uninterrupted hours of flick watching. Jam out all weekend. Yes, on one full charge, you can listen to music for two and half days straight

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've also heard that 3 party taskkillers are bad for your battery too. Atleast in the long run.

Scott0719

Reaction score
So I just got the S3 coming form the Droid Razr. The battery was the only reason I switched from the Razr. Right now the S3 is at 42% on almost 17 hours of batter life. Now, about 8 of those hours were while I was sleeping and i lost about 5% during that time. Since about 7:30 am I have been in 4G and I hardly even used it till about 12:30.

Is this good battery life? I'm not sure if I am just expecting too much or if there is something I should do to help it. I don't want to use too many apps because I feel like that is also using more battery than its worth sometimes. On the Razr I used smart actions and widgetzoid and turn everything off that I didn't need. That was very helpful especially for turning off 4G. I also paid for Juice Defender but I stopped using it after a while. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to use any apps. The control options in the navigation bar is a nice feature. I see a powersaver option but i'm not sure what it does because i don't notice the screen getting darker or anything.

So what kind of battery life are you guys getting? Are you using apps? Are you in 4G? I'm really only interested in hearing from people that are not rooted because that's not helpful to me.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to save battery life?

music life

Reaction score
im getting about 21-26 hours on mine. Moderate use, great 4G, No battery saving apps, completely stock :)

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So I just got the S3 coming form the Droid Razr. The battery was the only reason I switched from the Razr. Right now the S3 is at 42% on almost 17 hours of batter life. Now, about 8 of those hours were while I was sleeping and i lost about 5% during that time. Since about 7:30 am I have been in 4G and I hardly even used it till about 12:30.

Is this good battery life? I'm not sure if I am just expecting too much or if there is something I should do to help it. I don't want to use too many apps because I feel like that is also using more battery than its worth sometimes. On the Razr I used smart actions and widgetzoid and turn everything off that I didn't need. That was very helpful especially for turning off 4G. I also paid for Juice Defender but I stopped using it after a while. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to use any apps. The control options in the navigation bar is a nice feature. I see a powersaver option but i'm not sure what it does because i don't notice the screen getting darker or anything.

So what kind of battery life are you guys getting? Are you using apps? Are you in 4G? I'm really only interested in hearing from people that are not rooted because that's not helpful to me.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to save battery life?

Well just a heads up but rooting has no effect on the battery life. If you use certain apps that require root, then obviously that'll make a difference, but just rooting in and of itself doesn't make any difference. If anything people say it's helped battery life, but I think that's more placebo than anything :X

And yeah, that's pretty good battery life comparatively especially considering you're on 4g with moderate use. Only thing that'll really top it is the Maxx. Screen brightness makes the biggest difference on battery life. This is undoubtedly the folly of smartphone technology, I don't see why they can't just slow down on number of processor core production and focus research on battery technology. Just for a few months, that's all it would take. I do wish the S3 had Smart Actions or something similar built in, but...oh well. There's quite a few threads already on S3 battery life that'll probably have everything you need

And there are TONS of battery saving tips on the internet. Just google "battery saving tips" and you'll find much more than you need. Good luck.

Scott0719

Reaction score
im getting about 21-26 hours on mine. Moderate use, great 4G, No battery saving apps, completely stock :)

How low does the battery get before you have to charge it? Yesterday i took mine off the charger at 6am and it was down to 15% by around 7pm.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I'll check out other posts. I know I can just search for it either on here or google but I like to start a new thread sometimes because different people may respond and that gives another view.

music life

Reaction score
I actually read somewhere that you shouldnt let it get to low. So I try and connect to charger around 10-15% sometimes a little lower. I think 9% is the lowest I let it go.

Scott0719

Reaction score
Yea I thought 10-15% was the percentage that a lot of people said is good to do. Before i bought the phone a post, not on here, where the person said that you should charge it every chance you got pretty much. I knew that couldn't be right. What would be perfect for me is if I could wait to charge it till I get into bed (around 9pm). I also read that it's not good to let it overcharge so leaving it on the charger all night isn't good. However that is the best time for me to charge it so I think I will have to ignore that rule.

chloe38

Reaction score
I've had my phone for less than a week, and the battery is crap. I have been getting only about 7 hours. And that is just sitting in my purse while at work. It's fully charged in the
morning, and when I leave work it's almost dead. I don't use it at all at work. That is the only thing that is making me regret buying this phone. I haven't been able to figure out why yet
My iphone has been just sitting there on, for 5 days, and the battery is only about 1/4 down.

Scott0719

Reaction score
chloe38 said:
I've had my phone for less than a week, and the battery is crap. I have been getting only about 7 hours. And that is just sitting in my purse while at work. It's fully charged in the
morning, and when I leave work it's almost dead. I don't use it at all at work. That is the only thing that is making me regret buying this phone. I haven't been able to figure out why yet
My iphone has been just sitting there on, for 5 days, and the battery is only about 1/4 down.

Maybe you got a dud battery. Mines been doing okay in 4G with just about everything on. Wifi, gps, sync, data. I charged it a little on my way home and I'm only down to 45% and I also streamed a podcast and played a few games.

chloe38

Reaction score
Maybe you got a dud battery. Mines been doing okay in 4G with just about everything on. Wifi, gps, sync, data. I charged it a little on my way home and I'm only down to 45% and I also streamed a podcast and played a few games.

I was thinking that too. But for now I am uninstalling apps one by one to try and determine if it is one of those. (Good thing I only have about 6) I uninstalled draw something, and
already I have noticed a big difference. I am at the 11 hour mark and down to 59%. Not perfect yet, but I think I'm on the right track :)
That was with sending a few texts, 1 phone call, and listening to my music in the car on the way home.

Wopback

Reaction score
chloe38 said:
I was thinking that too. But for now I am uninstalling apps one by one to try and determine if it is one of those. (Good thing I only have about 6) I uninstalled draw something, and
already I have noticed a big difference. I am at the 11 hour mark and down to 59%. Not perfect yet, but I think I'm on the right track :)
That was with sending a few texts, 1 phone call, and listening to my music in the car on the way home.

There's an app called watchdog lite. It monitors your phone usage and let you know if their is an app or process misbehaving. It also lets you know how much cpu/ and ram is being used. Its not a task killer. Check it out, it may help...