94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
drivinfocused said:
So sounds like we would be able to activate then turn off and do the charging steps?

Yes sir you could.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

JWX

Reaction score
This really seems like a great way for Moto to have a ton of returned phones. This process is assuredly out of the general range of knowledge/patience/interest zone of most people other than us tech fiends.

Most people want a phone that is going to be handed to them, left on 24/7, and charged when dead, sometimes after they've talked on it till it dies.

This is pretty much a recipe for large scale failure in the hands of the not techie, average user if this is truly what it takes to make this polymer battery function appropriately. I'm techie and this is pretty bothersome really.

I'd be soooo happy to have an old school removable battery on this awesome phone.

iSilentP

Reaction score
YES!!!!

You'll be fine, just follow the procedure above from this day forward. The reason this happens is that very, very few people read the manual, store reps included.

So I fall in the same boat. I failed to charge my phone out of the box. Now I know. Thanks! I'll have to start following this procedure from now on. Thanks to FoxKat and Trash Can for all you do and the value you provide to us on this forum.

sendas

Reaction score
Hello

I've done the same thing... didn't charge my maxx when I received it...

So... I've read this post yesterday and I shut down my phone and charged it all night... The thing is... In the morning I turn it on... the battery was 99%...After 1h is 93%....

I don't think this is normal... :-( I haven't done the second full charge when the phone is off... yet... maybe that's it ? I'll do it this night and I hope tomorrow everything is ok ..

What do you think ?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This really seems like a great way for Moto to have a ton of returned phones. This process is assuredly out of the general range of knowledge/patience/interest zone of most people other than us tech fiends.

Most people want a phone that is going to be handed to them, left on 24/7, and charged when dead, sometimes after they've talked on it till it dies.

This is pretty much a recipe for large scale failure in the hands of the not techie, average user if this is truly what it takes to make this polymer battery function appropriately. I'm techie and this is pretty bothersome really.

I'd be soooo happy to have an old school removable battery on this awesome phone.

All great points. And regarding returns...it's had that exact effect. There have been countless posts of people returning their RAZRs for "bad" or "defective" battery and in some cases even having done 2 and 3 returns with the same "defective" battery. Most would recognize that 3 failures of the same type for one user would statistically point to the user, not the device as the failure, but it's not really the user's fault. At the same time, it's not really Motorola's (or other phone manufacturers') fault either. There is only so much they can do with present technology to make the newer phones perform at the breakneck levels we demand as consumers, and at the same time last as long as our lifestyles also dictate and demand.

The solution they are using now may be antiquated in the next generation of phones, or the battery they use may have less of the inherent issues which are at the root of these problems, so the problem may resolve itself. However we all know there will be new problems to tackle. Perfection is one step away from progress, but a lifetime away from preparation.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hello

I've done the same thing... didn't charge my maxx when I received it...

So... I've read this post yesterday and I shut down my phone and charged it all night... The thing is... In the morning I turn it on... the battery was 99%...After 1h is 93%....

I don't think this is normal... :-( I haven't done the second full charge when the phone is off... yet... maybe that's it ? I'll do it this night and I hope tomorrow everything is ok ..

What do you think ?

I think you are fine. Don't sweat the single percentage values. The phone's battery loses power over time, even while still connected to the charger because the charger actually stops charging the battery once it hits what the meter says is 100%. The charger will remain in stand-by until and if the battery level drops to about 90%, at which time it will resume a "topping off" charge and then shut down again at 100%. In your case, the phone's battery may have lost only 1% or 2% (when it shows 99%, that means it's at least 98%, since it can show 100% while being on and running for a while, and that makes no sense). When you turned it on, it started out 1% or 2% down from its peak charge (right before the charge shut off, probably 3 hours after you went to sleep and long before you woke). Then while using it the next hour, it consumed perhaps 5%. Given that factor, a 100% charge will supply 20 hours (5% per hour), and that's pretty good.

Truth is, it will likely have more than that in available power, because voltages drop rapidly during the top 20% of charge and the bottom 20% of charge, and drop rather gently and evenly during the middle 60% or so. So even though it said you had used 7%, it might have really been only 3% of the available power but because the voltage dropped quickly the meter interpreted the voltage drop as a larger percentage of the capacity having been used. Voltage is just one part since there is also current or Amperage. As long as the voltage is above a certain minimum, and there is current available, the battery will continue to supply power. Once the voltage drops below a minimum required by the motherboard, the remaining current is no longer accessible, so it's like the last bit of toothpaste that you can never get out of the tube no matter how hard you try. :biggrin:

sava700

Reaction score
I made a mistake of powering up the phone out the box and setting it up before charging it. However, so far its been great for about a month now. I will let it discharge to %15 in the next week and charge with power off as per posted directions but as of now I've not had issues.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I made a mistake of powering up the phone out the box and setting it up before charging it. However, so far its been great for about a month now. I will let it discharge to %15 in the next week and charge with power off as per posted directions but as of now I've not had issues.

Fortunately for you, you haven't yet had any problems. But fortunately as well the entire issue is completely reversible as long as the phone has never been deep discharged. The failure to charge initially does nothing harmful to the battery, and a meter is completely fluid and dynamic, so any changes to the meter happen instantly and will be leaving no lasting effects.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

sendas

Reaction score
I have now 23% battery and 10h21 min of usage. To be honest - and my previous phone was an iPhone 4S - I was expecting a much better battery life... :-(

I'm charging again with the phone powered off tonight, and I'm hoping things will improve after calibration. (what do you think ?).

I forgot to mention that this is a European Razr Maxx (so, no 4G, only 3G).

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
sendas said:
I have now 23% battery and 10h21 min of usage. To be honest - and my previous phone was an iPhone 4S - I was expecting a much better battery life... :-(

I'm charging again with the phone powered off tonight, and I'm hoping things will improve after calibration. (what do you think ?).

I forgot to mention that this is a European Razr Maxx (so, no 4G, only 3G).

The calibration will make your meter more accurate.

Charge the device powered off to avoid parasitic effects on the battery. Like your doing.

Turn down your screen brightness to the lowest setting to squeeze as much time out of the battery as possible.

Also, how much of that 10 hours is screen on time?? Check your battery usage settings to see if you have an app hanging up and killing the battery.

Hope this helps?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The calibration will make your meter more accurate.

Charge the device powered off to avoid parasitic effects on the battery. Like your doing.

Turn down your screen brightness to the lowest setting to squeeze as much time out of the battery as possible.

Also, how much of that 10 hours is screen on time?? Check your battery usage settings to see if you have an app hanging up and killing the battery.

Hope this helps?

Look at you...parasitic effects! Such technical speak! Should I start issuing Diplomas? :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
FoxKat said:
Look at you...parasitic effects! Such technical speak! Should I start issuing Diplomas? :D

I have a great teacher :)

sendas

Reaction score
Just to let you know that I'm happy with Razr Maxx battery life, I can now easily get 18h of (I think I can call it intensive :p) use.

Thanks for your help!

:)

P.

OP
J

Jpasz

Reaction score
Had the phone for about a week or so now. Did battery protocol, rooted, then nothing else (busy as all hell, this is the first time I've had time to sit and relax and do nothing, and it's not going to last)

Stock the battery is nice, outperforms stock DX, that having been said, my undervolted profiles use on the DX made it have better battery than the Razr Maxx stock. The use of a good ROM also meant that while I was using less voltage with a lower processor frequency, it was still faster and snappier than stock. I'm looking around for info on this, but it doesn't look like there's anything as full featured and amazing as Android Overclock for the Razr (if there is, post here please), and I'm worried that since it's snappy stock, people won't be deving roms to make it snappier with lower voltages, so it might turn out that undervolting and profiles will make it slower, with no ROM to compensate very well like the ROMs for the DX.

But that's not that bad. With little use, the battery doesn't get past 60% (I hate not having 1% increments, going to fix that when I have time) over a day or so, snappy, ROMs will just make it look better and add features worse case scenario (worse case is ROM ruins phone, but that's remedied by finding better ROM, easy to read comments and see results)

There could not be more bloatware. Has almost double the apps of my DX BEFORE I started downloading them. The "battery saving" profiles look like nothing more than night time mode on the DX, I don't see substantial battery saving from it.

All in all, I like the phone, the huge battery gives you a lot to work with, better screen and such, good stock, definitely a good choice.