Battery Life?

rongotti

Reaction score
It's the data usage and screen brightness that kills battery life.
See http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...gingerbread-battery-drain-13.html#post1634667

That thread discusses battery life issues encountered by the DroidX moving from Froyo to Gingerbread, and some possible solutions.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

Yeaaaaaa.... not so much! With the Droid 3 we are not experiencing either of those being a killer. Read the thread and you will see.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

militant

Reaction score
To the guy with the huge post about motorla and rounding. I stopped reading at the top because your info in the very first paragraph is wrong. Motorla rounds in incriments of 10 and on the number 5. Here is the example. Phone says 90% that's anywhere from 99 to 85. Once it hits 84, it will display 80, at the 74 70 and so on down to 15. Download circle battery widget and see for yourself.

*annoying tapatalk sig here*

Slawter90

Reaction score
Just wanted to put this out there in case it hadn't already been mentioned.......I have had battery problems with the D3 since day one, and verizon and moto just give you the same run around every time.

So I installed juiceDefender just to try it...and boy did it help! It kills the 3g connection when your phone is locked which saves A TON of battery....like 50% after 14 hrs saving battery.
You can set schedules for when the app will automatically re enable 3g if your screen is locked so you can still get all the updates/email/FB posts or what not, and you can adjust the frequency of it turning on 3g and turning it off as well.
If you need an app like gmail always on, you can add it to a list that juicedefender will always allow data to flow to, while cutting it off from everything else when your phone is locked.

This app has worked wonders for me, and $5 for the ultimate customizable version definitely beats a $50 extended battery.

Tutorial: [video=youtube;URc-LJgmPfs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URc-LJgmPfs[/video]

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Just wanted to put this out there in case it hadn't already been mentioned.......I have had battery problems with the D3 since day one, and verizon and moto just give you the same run around every time.

So I installed juiceDefender just to try it...and boy did it help! It kills the 3g connection when your phone is locked which saves A TON of battery....like 50% after 14 hrs saving battery.
You can set schedules for when the app will automatically re enable 3g if your screen is locked so you can still get all the updates/email/FB posts or what not, and you can adjust the frequency of it turning on 3g and turning it off as well.
If you need an app like gmail always on, you can add it to a list that juicedefender will always allow data to flow to, while cutting it off from everything else when your phone is locked.

This app has worked wonders for me, and $5 for the ultimate customizable version definitely beats a $50 extended battery.

Tutorial: [video=youtube;URc-LJgmPfs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URc-LJgmPfs[/video]

I tried out the free version a while back on my D1..hows your batt life been since using JD ultimate?

sent from my dThree

jkruse

Reaction score
Extended Battery

I have the extended battery and after another day of light use I had amazing battery life. Took off the phone from the charger at 6am and by 1130 pm I was at 40% life. Listened to some music, few emails, few txtxs and some gaming + light web browsing. Loving this phone

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Does the extended battery make it thicker?

Sparkimus

Reaction score

This is actually a feature built into the D3. Go into Settings > Battery and Data Manager > Battery Mode. No need for another app.

I set mine to turn off after 30 min idle during the day, and after 15 min at night. It has really helped. I went from having a near dead phone by the end of the day to having around 50-60% left.

Slawter90

Reaction score
This is actually a feature built into the D3. Go into Settings > Battery and Data Manager > Battery Mode. No need for another app.

I set mine to turn off after 30 min idle during the day, and after 15 min at night. It has really helped. I went from having a near dead phone by the end of the day to having around 50-60% left.

It partially can replace JD.......JD can automatically re-enable 3g after x amount of minutes so you don't have to unlock your phone. So you cna have the phone just sit there for an hour or so....have it auto enable 3g for whatever span of time you set it to so you can retrieve emails or MMS messages or what not. So it does have a lot more functionality than the 2.3 battery mode. And you cna customize everything about the times....when it enables, how long it enables, how much data needs to keep getting transfered before it kills the 3g again....all without having to wake up your phone.

Slawter90

Reaction score
I tried out the free version a while back on my D1..hows your batt life been since using JD ultimate?

sent from my dThree

My battery life has been outstanding...I set it to enable 3g for 1 minute every hour so I can get emails and what not...and then it goes back and kills the 3g. All the timings, or what you want the app to kill for you is completely customizable in the ultimate version. It is a much better $5 fix than a $50 extended battery. Last night i was at 40% battery after 14 hours of normal use. Before that my phone MAYBE would get 6-7 hours and that was with trying to use my phone as little as possible

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
I installed juice defender, the free version, for kicks and giggles. I haven't hit a day over 8 hours of battery life with light to moderate use. I have my email set to sync once an hour, no automatic updates, no syncing on any social networking, lowest brightness possible, and every app in the end program list of the task manager. I started using juice defender yesterday, with the setting on 'aggressive.' I am presently at 18 hours and 15 minutes on a single charge, and I am at 70% of my battery.

Granted, there was some sleep involved, and about 6 hours of inactivity on the phone, but to have 12 hours of use already is a huge improvement. My battery stats are 96% camera 360, 2% phone idle, 2% cell standby. This is the first I have seen my cell standby BELOW 30%! I used camera 360 for about 5 minutes yesterday. I have played monkey blast, used facebook, played speedcard, and sent a few emails and text messages. So far so good. I was going to order an extended battery, but I might hold off for now.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
After getting back from my trip I had experienced worse battery life than before the trip and have been combing through my settings to see what the difference is. I got 57% yesterday. Then last night I remembered that I had setup my corporate email for the trip. That was responsible for a 20% drop, even with the email set to sync every hour and the data settings to shut off after 15 minutes during the day. It is after all yet another application syncing along with Gmail and Facebook (and the backup).

So this brings to my attention a couple more opportunities:

First off, I believe it is possible to setup Gmail using the corporate mail app, I would bet that it would be more efficient to have one email app syncing instead of two. I wonder what the cost per mailbox is of each app and which might be more efficient. I have two Gmail addresses that I sync, so this is fairly easily testable--to an extent.

Second, I wonder what the cost of the backup sync is. My D1 certainly wasn't using that app, though it was using the MCafee app and at some point I changed to the free version of Lookout, which I am still running.Both of those do some level of backing up--not much, but some.

I've removed the corporate account sync--don't need it. I will run today without further changes to see if I get back to around 75%. Then I will try removing the backup sync.

Natey2

Reaction score

My DroidX has something similar to turn off data after some period of inactivity during some time range (nighttime), but it can't *periodically* (e.g. every 30 minutes) enable data for a short time, which is important if you want to receive notifications, etc.

+1 for JuiceDefender!

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Just bought JD ultimate this morning. Got about 13hrs on extended battery with about 20% left. Ive gotten that b4 without JD.
Im still trying to figure out all of the different settings available. Ill report back after a few days, once i get everything setup.

sent from my dThree

StainlessSteelRat

Reaction score
Couple of things....
1. After so many questions about how best to charge I wanted to share this little gem..
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

2. Also, I saw this asked on a recent post. I think this was asked and answered already but I bought the extended battery tonight and wanted to share. Battery is not much thicker than 'stock'. Extended cover is included. Both covers hold either battery, but it is safest to follow recommended action and use as intended.
The sweet kickstand case that VZW sells works with either battery cover as does the multimedia stand

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Fr33dom

Reaction score
After getting back from my trip I had experienced worse battery life than before the trip and have been combing through my settings to see what the difference is. I got 57% yesterday. Then last night I remembered that I had setup my corporate email for the trip. That was responsible for a 20% drop, even with the email set to sync every hour and the data settings to shut off after 15 minutes during the day. It is after all yet another application syncing along with Gmail and Facebook (and the backup).

So this brings to my attention a couple more opportunities:

First off, I believe it is possible to setup Gmail using the corporate mail app, I would bet that it would be more efficient to have one email app syncing instead of two. I wonder what the cost per mailbox is of each app and which might be more efficient. I have two Gmail addresses that I sync, so this is fairly easily testable--to an extent.

Second, I wonder what the cost of the backup sync is. My D1 certainly wasn't using that app, though it was using the MCafee app and at some point I changed to the free version of Lookout, which I am still running.Both of those do some level of backing up--not much, but some.

I've removed the corporate account sync--don't need it. I will run today without further changes to see if I get back to around 75%. Then I will try removing the backup sync.

70%. That seems to indicate that smooth calendar would get me another 5%, but it doesn't serve my needs so I'll move on for now.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
70%. That seems to indicate that smooth calendar would get me another 5%, but it doesn't serve my needs so I'll move on for now.

Looks like the backup sync is set to fire at night when its plugged in, so I'll leave it and remove the FaceBook sync.