Battery Life?

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
Sure enough, as I posted above, my phone didn't make it to lunch. After charging over night, I unplugged my Droid 3 at 5:30 am. By 9 am, I was down to 50%. By 10 am, I was down to 30% and I shut the phone off. Yesterday, I ran all day downloading, on Twitter and Google+, reading and sending emails, and otherwise using tons of apps, and still made it home from work with 50% battery life. Today, I didn't have time to do hardly any of that, and was down to 30% by 9 am...

I took my phone to my local Verizon store after work and told them about it, and the battery getting hot. They decided the battery was the issue and gave me a new one.

Here's hoping they're right...

militant

Reaction score
Sure enough, as I posted above, my phone didn't make it to lunch. After charging over night, I unplugged my Droid 3 at 5:30 am. By 9 am, I was down to 50%. By 10 am, I was down to 30% and I shut the phone off. Yesterday, I ran all day downloading, on Twitter and Google+, reading and sending emails, and otherwise using tons of apps, and still made it home from work with 50% battery life. Today, I didn't have time to do hardly any of that, and was down to 30% by 9 am...

I took my phone to my local Verizon store after work and told them about it, and the battery getting hot. They decided the battery was the issue and gave me a new one.

Here's hoping they're right...

How did you install your apps? Did you do fresh installs or sync them with your google account. Sounds like one of a few things. A) defective battery B) a high cpu usage app hanging in the background C) you syncd your apps with your google account. Keeping all data on, gps, wifi, having 130 apps, a homescreen made of only widgets, etc I get about 18 hours on the reg bat with normal use. I get about 40 hours with very light careful use. Extended battery I get well over 1 day with normal, well over 2 days with very light use. Have you switched from global to cdma? How is your cell reception at work? If its weak that could be an explanation.

*annoying tapatalk sig here*

jkruse

Reaction score
Just got my D3 yesterday, charged it full and got 22hrs+ with moderate use. I am pleased.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
How did you install your apps? Did you do fresh installs or sync them with your google account. Sounds like one of a few things. A) defective battery B) a high cpu usage app hanging in the background C) you syncd your apps with your google account. Keeping all data on, gps, wifi, having 130 apps, a homescreen made of only widgets, etc I get about 18 hours on the reg bat with normal use. I get about 40 hours with very light careful use. Extended battery I get well over 1 day with normal, well over 2 days with very light use. Have you switched from global to cdma? How is your cell reception at work? If its weak that could be an explanation.

*annoying tapatalk sig here*

None of my apps 'synced'. I had to go into the marketplace and redownload the ones I've gotten so far. I haven't finished downloading the ones I had before. The only apps I have installed right now are the ones that I used on a daily basis on my D1. I even shut off all of the automated updating (things like Weatherbug) that I've always left on with the D1.

My reception at work is the same as it was with the D1. Full bars. Bare in mind, yesterday, the D3 had a normal drain rate relative to my D1. It was a little high, but I was playing with it a bit more than normal and downloading apps. Today, it completely tanked.

As for global versus cdma: My mobile network type is listed as cbma. I don't know where to go to change that. Nix that, I just found it. Preferred Mobile Type was listed as Global. I switched it to cdma. Between that and the new battery the tech at Verizon gave me, maybe that will make the difference.

I'm thinking it was the battery, though. If it was the global / cdma setting, it would have done it yesterday as well. But it didn't. Ah well, I'll try it out over the next couple days and post my results.

Last edited:

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Left my WIFI on all day and so got 57% today. Will try again tomorrow.

67%. Thats pretty cheap for facebook sync. On top of that I noticed that the settings had reverted to global. I'd bet this happened during the numerous reboots that GPS forced me through during my trip. I'll revert that and put facebook sync back and remove one of the gmail accounts.

Reaction score
67%. Thats pretty cheap for facebook sync. On top of that I noticed that the settings had reverted to global. I'd bet this happened during the numerous reboots that GPS forced me through during my trip. I'll revert that and put facebook sync back and remove one of the gmail accounts.

Have you done a factory reset that will help with the reboots. I did it and I've gone a week and no reboots plus it mignt help with your battery. Again I don't know if you have done this so sorry if you have and I missed it it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

corc305

Reaction score
Curious, does it seems the battery drains faster in your pocket? I get good battery life when using it and when it is sitting on my desk but it does seem to drain quickly in my pocket.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Curious, does it seems the battery drains faster in your pocket? I get good battery life when using it and when it is sitting on my desk but it does seem to drain quickly in my pocket.

The heat from it being in contact with your body in your pocket shortens the battery life because it speeds up the chemical reaction in the battery. Remember batteries work best when they're cool. So the hotter they get, the shorter the battery life.

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to mention, signal can be reduced while in your pocket.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Fr33dom

Reaction score

75%. I don't think removing the sync for one of the gmail accounts added-up to anything. This is the same percentage I got back when I tested Smooth Calendar (Just before my trip). I would expect the cost of syncing a second account to be negligible. Most of the cost would be eaten-up by the original sync. Adding corporate sync was so expensive because it was another application syncing something. If I can add both my Gmail accounts to it then perhaps I can tell if one app is more efficient than the other, but I would bet that syncing with the corporate email would still eat a bit of battery since it involves a different set of servers.

All of this gets pretty academic and I am getting tired of not using my phone as I wish for fear that it will skew the results. I would be happy if I got 70% with WIFI and Bluetooth on all day. So next week I'll test those individually and then together. That will be the end of this little exercise.

And for those who don't understand what I've been doing and so have suggested I do a factory reset or load Juice Defender, you really ought to read through my posts to this thread. The easy way is to click on my name to the left. I probably will do a factory reset at the end of it all just out of curiosity, and I will probably give JD a try on this phone since I did buy it for my last one, but my intent was to prove or disprove all the suggestions that were made.

I intend to roll all this up next week with all I have discovered. I don't expect that what I experience is the same for everyone--there is more than one reason for high battery use. I do think something is going on with the phone's radio, though I am not so sure that is exposed by the battery statistics everyone has been posting. Everyone is not necessarily spending a significant portion of their day in a low signal area, and those that do probably use more battery during idle. So if you are like me, your top two changes for the most impact are turning off global (and that is best done by removing the SIM card since the settings seem to revert at times) and setting a custom battery saver to cover the times you are in low signal. I'd also recommend that you leave the phone plugged in while you're asleep.

gdgnj

Reaction score
Must say that I am very disappointed with this battery nonsense. FedEx delivered my D3 yesterday at around 1PM. When I powered the phone up the battery was at 60%. I knew I was in for trouble when within a ½ hour it was at 20%. I let the battery drain all the way until the phone shut off and then gave it a full charge. Once the thing was fully charged I was on it pretty heavy with downloads etc matching it up to how I had my Droid X and the battery ran completely dead within 2 hours. It just so happened that the X was very low too. I charged both of them to full charge & unplugged them both before going to bed. Wake up 7hrs later and the droid X is pegged at 100%. The Droid 3 was at 85%!?!? Now the battery manager for both says:

Droid 3 (global not on)
7h 4m 50s on battery
Cell Standby 40%
Phone Idle 38%
Android System 18%
Display 2%
Android OS 2%

Droid X (Wifi turned on – obviously cell service turned off)
7h 20m 10s on battery
Phone Idle 39%
Cell standby 30%
Display 15%
Bluetooth 10%
WiFi 4%
Android OS 2%
TiKL 2%

Both of these phones sat dormant all night. I never had battery problems with the X but why is the 3 at 85% and the X pegged on 100%?

Do I need to go to Verizon and have them give me a new battery? I am going to run it down to nothing a few times and then fully charge like recommended here to “train” the battery but I am a little worried that won’t do it.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I find that if you fully charge the battery the first time, you don't have the problems in the long run.

It does say in the packaging to do so.

Also you cannot compare battery life on a phone where the radio isn't being used to a phone where it is being used IMO.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I find that if you fully charge the battery the first time, you don't have the problems in the long run.

Also you cannot compare battery life on a phone where the radio isn't being used to a phone where it is being used IMO.

Aren't you supposed to charge it all the way the first time, then let it drain until it's dead?

gdgnj

Reaction score

When I received it the battery was at 60% when I powered it up for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] time. Should I have charged the battery then? I figured drain the battery and then give it a full charge, guess I was wrong.

I know I can't compare the 2. It is very obvious to me though that my DX has a much stronger battery IMO.